Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nihil0

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2016
imac.gif

So I measured it using guidelines in Ps and it seems to be wider (and of lower height) than iMac Pro. However, if you notice - the left and right bezels are not symetrical - right one is thicker. So maybe this is just wrong Ps job?

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
we said the same thing with the 16" mbp imaged leaked for using apple pay...that something is wrong and not legit...and after the release....we saw that exact image when you configure your mac
So that non symetrical bezels also can be lazy pr job

Reactions: _Skyfire_

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
we said the same thing with the 16" mbp imaged leaked for using apple pay...that something is wrong and not legit...and after the release....we saw that exact image when you configure your mac
So that non symetrical bezels also can be lazy pr job
Either way I'm guessing not to expect this before March, maybe? They should definitely be done for this year by now, sans the Mac Pro, and we don't usually see anything Jan or Feb.

Wolf1701

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2006
Either way I'm guessing not to expect this before March, maybe? They should definitely be done for this year by now, sans the Mac Pro, and we don't usually see anything Jan or Feb.

Christmas for cleaning up the inventory... some days to avoid returns... and I fear you are right.

MacRazySwe

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Good spot, looks legit! Unless it's because of camera filters and the reflections from the large windows in the background.

I would have expected something more though, this doesn't feel very innovative when compared to the Surface Studio. I would have loved a modern day iMac G4.

Reactions: Moonjumper

Precursor

Cancelled
Sep 29, 2015
Istanbul
Direct from a Tim Cook interview with ABC. It's hard to believe it would be out in the open like this, but to my eyes I can't see this as anything but a new iMac?

View attachment 879093

View attachment 879092

https://www.protectiveearth.net/post/31-inch-imac-appears-to-leak-during-tim-cook-abc-interview
They wouldn't have a fully functioning brand new model out in the open like that, with no rumors as to its new design or release date. And they wouldn't do an interview in a test lab either.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Considering the XDR panel and LG's 32" 8K panel used by Dell each cost a fair bit more than an entire 5K iMac, I'm pretty sure that while we might see thinner bezels, those bezels will still be surrounding an LG 27" 5K panel.

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
I think this is just a case of your eyes playing tricks. I doubt that is actually a prototype unit, probably just looks weird due to lens/scale.

Reactions: ScreenSavers

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
I find it hard to believe an Apple engineer would just casually be using a prototype new iMac next to a huge window in an open area of the building.
we thought that too...when apple itself has "leaked" apple watch4, mabooks pro official photos and so on...
I think its a new era for "leaks"
Marketing at its finest

tipoo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2017
They wouldn't have a fully functioning brand new model out in the open like that, with no rumors as to its new design or release date. And they wouldn't do an interview in a test lab either.

And yet the size appears to match up to the website leak pretty well exactly. As unlikely as it seemed, perhaps they just care less about the secretive cycle at least for macs now?

https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/e28f0v

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
Considering the XDR panel and LG's 32" 8K panel used by Dell each cost a fair bit more than an entire 5K iMac, I'm pretty sure that while we might see thinner bezels, those bezels will still be surrounding an LG 27" 5K panel.

I agree on not going to XDR or 8K. But I don't think that means having to stay at 27". I would like Apple to follow their Cinema Display path and go to a 30" 16:10 display. As a retina screen that would mean a 5120x3200 resolution with no extra desk space needed as it is a vertical change.

Jack Burton

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2015
I love my 2017 27 inch iMac but I think I desperately need a better GPU and more cores. I can't decide if I should wait and see what a new potentially 30 inch iMac brings or just sell my iMac and suffer through the hellscape of windows again and give a 12 or 16 core Ryzen a shot.

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
I love my 2017 27 inch iMac but I think I desperately need a better GPU and more cores. I can't decide if I should wait and see what a new potentially 30 inch iMac brings or just sell my iMac and suffer through the hellscape of windows again and give a 12 or 16 core Ryzen a shot.

Would an eGPU tie you over until the rumoured 30”+ iMac becomes a reality?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.