Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jack Burton

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2015
Would an eGPU tie you over until the rumoured 30”+ iMac becomes a reality?

I've got an eGPU with Vega 64. Considering moving to windows because as far as I know, I can't use that setup in Bootcamp for the times that I would need it. The 580 in my iMac is OK, but not great.

With a windows desktop, I could re-use my Vega 64 directly and still use an eGPU on the few Ryzen motherboards that support it.

But dang do I love Mac OS.

Last edited:
Reactions: ondert

HappyIntro

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2016
This is exciting stuff, but I'd feel even more positive about it if there were just more rumors backing this up.

airdrop

Cancelled
Oct 1, 2011
Looks fake ;) but definitely would be awesome to have option for 32” and iMac Pro!

Hopefully in next 1-2 years!

Azrael9

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2020
Considering the XDR panel and LG's 32" 8K panel used by Dell each cost a fair bit more than an entire 5K iMac, I'm pretty sure that while we might see thinner bezels, those bezels will still be surrounding an LG 27" 5K panel.

I remember when the Dell 5k cost a fortune and Apple boasted Apple gave you a computer for less.

Be nice if they could do that with the 8k at 32 inches. And proper cooling.

And 16 gigs of ram standard.

...and a proper 5700 XT gpu...

...AND SSD as standard....

...AND for less than 5k...

....and include the 1k stand...no wait...

The Adobe 'leak' looks cool. I'd be down with that.

Azrael.
[automerge]1586710782[/automerge]
Looks fake ;) but definitely would be awesome to have option for 32” and iMac Pro!

Hopefully in next 1-2 years!

Make it 6 years. That's the new time between updates to the pro line.

Azrael.
[automerge]1586711056[/automerge]
I've got an eGPU with Vega 64. Considering moving to windows because as far as I know, I can't use that setup in Bootcamp for the times that I would need it. The 580 in my iMac is OK, but not great.

With a windows desktop, I could re-use my Vega 64 directly and still use an eGPU on the few Ryzen motherboards that support it.

But dang do I love Mac OS.

Snazzy Labs do a decent $2k Hackintosh guide with Ryzen and a Radon 5700XT. Compelling. And they're getting easier to build.

I'm guessing this iMac will come out at WWDC. Because Apple's products so far have been very underwhelming and it's April and soon to be May.

The iMac is a year old and the iMac Pro is superfluous and two years old?

Azrael.

Last edited:

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I remember when the Dell 5k cost a fortune and Apple boasted Apple gave you a computer for less. Be nice if they could do that with the 8k at 32 inches. And proper cooling.

I imagine Apple sold significantly more 5K iMacs then Dell did 5K Ultrasharps so Apple's per-panel pricing was probably significantly lower and therefore they could afford to "throw in the computer".

However, the Dell 8K display launched at twice the price of the 5K display so even with Apple's better buying power, an 8K iMac would still be significantly more expensive than the 5K was.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.