Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2019
How did I make my MacBook Pro from 2011 that my brother gave me in 2018 that runs on macOS Sierra to make my Old Mac OS X Aqua-like style?

The Mac is from 2011? Install either Mountain Lion or Mavericks, it’ll be much more complete and likely run better on your old hardware anyway. :)

redheeler

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Just FYI, this project isn't dead. And yes, there's hope for a touch of Aqua in Catalina too.

Catalina-Aqua.png

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
Looks really good. I'll try it out on my MacBook when I get home. The aqua buttons in dark mode look slick.

What I would really want to see is Dark Mode with OS X Tiger theme. A near black brushed metal would look really nice.

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2018
Just moved from HiSierra to Mojave and missing your buttons. Looking forward to a release for Mojave/Catalina

Reactions: brainkilla

mbert

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2016
I have just copied the traffic lights from a theme I used with earlier MacOS versions into the current (Catalina's) SystemAppearance.car file. I did not find any section for this in DarkAppearance.car, hence I did not edit that file. Now having activated my changes the traffic lights are just fine in normal mode, but they don't seem to work in dark mode. What do I have to do to replace the traffic lights for dark mode, too?

mbert

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2016
Replying to myself. I needed to edit DarkAquaAppearance.car for dark mode.

brainkilla

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2013
Replying to myself. I needed to edit DarkAquaAppearance.car for dark mode.

You're hacking this particular theme meant for previous macOS versions? If so, do make it available until the OP decides to finally release his much-anticipated work :). Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Dayo

whiskersld

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2020
cant wait for this to be released! I'm a mojave user and i cant seem to find buttons that support mojave
these look great!

mbert

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2016
As this may be relevant to some of you: after last weekend's Catalina upgrade I copied in my edited .car files (oft course after backing up the new originals). The result looked good, but I ran into issues with some of the software I am running here. After rolling back to the originals things were fine again.

Looks like it's time to create new "themed" .car files from what came with the latest OS upgrade.

brainkilla

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2013
As this may be relevant to some of you: after last weekend's Catalina upgrade I copied in my edited .car files (oft course after backing up the new originals). The result looked good, but I ran into issues with some of the software I am running here. After rolling back to the originals things were fine again.

Looks like it's time to create new "themed" .car files from what came with the latest OS upgrade.

That also presents an excellent opportunity for @redheeler to finally release his fantastic teasers in a format compatible with the latest Catalina update :cool:

Jonathan Leclerc

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2020
Experimenting with theming some more elements aside from the traffic lights. This is the recreation of Aqua I've come up with.
View attachment 738825
Unlike the old Aqua, this recreation is optimized for Retina displays, and white (instead of black) text necessitates a darker Aqua blue for the modern MacOS. Still some work to go before I can release it, though.

Edit: Not enough room for circular buttons, but this still looks pretty good.
View attachment 738869
I use your Aqua Window Controls for MacOS High Sierra v4 and they have saved my eyes and my sanity! Thank you so very much. Do you plan on releasing your complete aqua-like interface that you previewed above? That would be a blessing. Would there be a version for 10.3.x (old MacBook Pro here)? I wholeheartedly hope so!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.