Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacUser1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 23, 2001
New York, NY
We all feel that a new PowerBook and iBook are going to be released soon (whenever that is). However, I am wondering when people think a new iMac will be released. I say this because I am in the market for a new computer. I really like the top of the line iMac (17") but if something bigger and better is coming up soon, I'd like to wait. I will probably wait since a new computer is not a necesity at this point. When I get the new computer, my old G4 400 will go to my grandparents so they can have a computer. Any thoughts on a new iMac?

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
There will be an imac update no later than mwsf. i am not sure we will see 19'' imacs that soon (if ever), but apple needs to do something to show that the imac is better than its pc equivalents.

MacUser1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 23, 2001
New York, NY
Yeah

i hope that something comes before mwsf too, hopefully. I'd like a 17" (or 19") widescreen, with a GeForce 4 MX or an ATI RADEON 9000, 256 - 512 MB RAM, 60, 80 or 100 GB HD, faster SuperDrive and speeds ranging from 867 MHz, 933 MHz and hopefully, 1 GHz :D . We'll have to see though :).

knighthawk

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2002
Because there will always be new computers that are coming out, my philosophy is to buy a new computer at the first half of its estimated product life cycle.

In the case of the iMac, there has not been a "real" new update since they were released in January. I do not consider the current 17" model an update, only a "Special Edition," which allowed Apple to artificially extend the life-cycle by a few months.

There are several thoughts behind this... that Apple was delaying the iMac line update because it was waiting for the technology... which could mean that it is held up by the West Coast Dock issues. However, the opposite could be said with Apple wanting to wait to refresh ANY computers until after January 1, 2003 so that they could enforce the non-OS9 booting policy.

I agree with other statements that Apple does not need to wait for Apple Expos (MWSF) to announce products, but they still may wait until January.

At Clubmac as of 10/23/02 6:00PM PST, there are
2142 of the Base Model iMacs (CD-R)
192 Combi CD-R/DVD iMacs
570 Superdrive 15" iMacs
702 Superdrive 17" iMacs

One thing of note, the Base model is listed as selling for $1150 instead of the $1199 listed at the Apple Store... this may mean that they are very close to EOL.

It can go either way...

Personally, I am itching to get a new iBook, and I just got the money for it this weekend in the mail...

gopher

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2002
Maryland, USA
Originally posted by Chaszmyr
There will be an imac update no later than mwsf. i am not sure we will see 19'' imacs that soon (if ever), but apple needs to do something to show that the imac is better than its pc equivalents.

PC equivalents??? If you are talking about the Profile 4, it has no DVD, no 60 GB hard drive, no DVD burning, and is slower.... yes the 2 Ghz Pentium IV is slower than 800 Mhz G4. Oh and the screen of the Profile 4 is nowhere as adjustable as the Flat Panel iMac. What a joke..."PC equivalents." The profile at first sounds better because they use Mhz, but then when you actually look at it, the software is worse, it is coming from a company that won't sell abroad and is near financial ruin, and I could go on and on...it just isn't worth it. You show me one PC that is equivalent to the Flat Panel iMac in terms of ease of use, flexibility of hardware and software, that betters it in specs at the same price one to one, and I'll show you something you missed.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
>(MacUser1) I'd like a 17" (or 19") widescreen, with a GeForce 4 MX or an ATI RADEON 9000, 256 - 512 MB RAM, 60, 80 or 100 GB HD, faster SuperDrive and speeds ranging from 867 MHz, 933 MHz and hopefully, 1 GHz :D

I would too, but you will not see that with an iMac anytime soon. Those would be very well fitting specs for our current PowerMacs, except they have dual processors. :)

I think the one thing that is a real stretch would be the 100GB Hard Drive. The only reason Apple would something that high is an updated PowerMac carries more significant specs.

The 19 inch model has been rumored many times before, yet I find the need to surpass the current 17 inch model insufficient, given that the iMac is for the avg. Mac user and the PowerMacs are Pro model machines, for the Pro users. They have more options, so they buy something to perfect their needs. Plus, they have the option to buy a 17 inch monitor already. Why include a 19 inch monitor on an iMac, an avg. user's machine, when a Pro user may only need a 4x3 res. monitor and ridiculously fast speeds?

Expanding further, I estimate that a 19 inch monitor on the iMac would alone cost at least $1000, especially with the quality Apple uses. And no base model of the iMac has never cost more than double that, as far as my knowledge provides. In that case, if a real powerful iMac with the given specs is made, it will cost more than the base dual processor PowerMacs, especially if you purchased the now discontinued 15 inch monitor or a cheap ext. monitor. So it won't happen.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Gopher, as much as i hate to say it, 800mhz G4 is not as fast as 2ghz P4. I just recently got rid of my 733mhz powermac (appx the same performance as 800mhz imac), and it was not as fast as my 1.5ghz athlon, which is about the same as a 2ghz p4

gopher

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2002
Maryland, USA
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.