Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MisterBigMack

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 23, 2012
My original iPad Air is practically died of death at this point - it’s working but god man it’s really slow and obviously iOS13 didn’t support it either - so looking at upgrading....

I was looking initially at the new iPad Air but I physically saw the 11 inch iPad pro and loved the design - I know it’s been out for a year or there abouts?

Am I best in waiting for a new version to come out? Or would of one come out around about now if a new version was coming out?

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014
The A12X inside the 11” Pro is already a beast and can’t see Apple giving it another significant increase. They may have Black Friday sales so I’d keep an eye out for that. All they might do for the 2020 Pro line is a minor spec bump. My guess is same exact design. Nothing mind blowing.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Chip wise, there should be a bump in line with or slightly higher than the A12->A13, maybe 20% boost or so. More for graphics performance. RAM is also quite likely to be bumped to 6GB across the board, or even 8GB for the high storage tier models. If you're doing something that could make use of more power or more RAM (big art projects in Procreate is one thing off the top of my head) then it might be worth waiting. The other big feature is meant to be a new 3D sensing camera array, again if that's something that interests you might be worth waiting for, if not then a good Black Friday deal on a current model could be the way to go.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
March 2020 most likely

I’ve had inkling of the new iPad Pro coming out around that time frame, but users from MacRumors was pushing for a Fall release. Which is understandable though, they want to make sure they secured the latest iPP and was anxious about upgrading. But I just felt it was too soon given Apple history with releasing new iPad Pro.

And to the OP, as @Falhófnir and @Freakonomics101 pointed out there should be plenty of Black Friday deals on the current model to entice you. And given you been using the original iPad Air for this long, you probably would fine with the current model... There’s no need to wait that long.

Reactions: Freakonomics101

JayMysterio

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
Same old advice given whenever this question is asked.

If your current model has given up the ghost and you can afford it, get whatever you are looking at now.

If you current model is getting you by, and you can afford to wait. Wait.

None of us ever have a true idea when the next model comes out, it's why we frequent the site in hopes of hearing something.

You know at Christmas time, the focus is on moving current product. If an 11 inch really has your attention, keep an eye out for Black Friday sales or check the Apple refurbs. If no price appeals to you & your current model keeps working, then it may mean you are taking the chance to hold out for whenever a new one comes out.

None of use here, when it comes to Apple, can know for sure.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
If no price appeals to you & your current model keeps working, then it may mean you are taking the chance to hold out for whenever a new one comes out.

None of use here, when it comes to Apple, can know for sure.

Yes, it’s true. None us know for sure when Apple plans to release a new iPad Pro, all we can do is speculate. Some of us can be wrong, but rumors can help making sure we get it right. But at this point, all we can do is offer the OP some advice.

And his current device is working, but according to the OP it’s working really slow. And the fact that Apple hasn’t given it iPadOS support... that’s gotta be a warning in itself. I suggest he upgrade during Black Friday or whenever an attractive deal comes up.

Reactions: JayMysterio

MandiMac

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2012
The A12X inside the 11” Pro is already a beast and can’t see Apple giving it another significant increase. They may have Black Friday sales so I’d keep an eye out for that. All they might do for the 2020 Pro line is a minor spec bump. My guess is same exact design. Nothing mind blowing.
Don't forget about what Apple did with battery life on this year's iPhones. If the A13X is anywhere as efficient as the A13 in relation to the A12X ... the iPad will make major strides in that regard. Combining it with even more power this should be the iPad to get! Let's just hope it will be coming in March 2020.

JayMysterio

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
Yes, it’s true. None us know for sure when Apple plans to release a new iPad Pro, all we can do is speculate. Some of us can be wrong, but rumors can help making sure we get it right. But at this point, all we can do is offer the OP some advice.

And his current device is working, but according to the OP it’s working really slow. And the fact that Apple hasn’t given it iPadOS support... that’s gotta be a warning in itself. I suggest he upgrade during Black Friday or whenever an attractive deal comes up.
I don't dispute that.

I only say any advice we do give is based on conjecture.

Cold hard fact is, if one can afford one NOW, one needs one NOW... perhaps NOW is the time to get one. Or at least wait to see what shows up Black Friday / Cyber Monday.

If one can afford to wait, especially long enough for the next refresh, save up some more money to get a spec'd out version.

That's the rub though. None of us know when that refresh is coming, and the OP does NOT know if his unit will make it until then. It could die out a month & one day before the refresh is even announced, and the OP would be forced to buy a unit at regular price before a refresh.

Direct advice would be to ask oneself how unbearable is the current unit? If one can't stand it, buy a new one during the holiday period on sale from Amazon, Best Buy, or Walmart probably. Knowing full well a refresh MIGHT be on the way, enjoy your new working iPP, until it's time for another.

Reactions: Ludatyk

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Plenty of sales on iPad Pro 11" so if you like the current model, by all means go for it.

If and when Pro models are released, they'll be at full price and it'll probably be several more months before they go on sale.

If you're okay with reselling, you could just do that once Apple Keynote comes around and if you decide you absolutely must have the latest model. You'd probably lose maybe $100-150 on resale since you're buying at discount already.

Starfia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2011
March is the earliest I'd reasonably expect, if not later in the year. Meanwhile, sale prices have occasionally been good on the current Pro models.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
My original iPad Air is practically died of death at this point - it’s working but god man it’s really slow and obviously iOS13 didn’t support it either - so looking at upgrading....

I was looking initially at the new iPad Air but I physically saw the 11 inch iPad pro and loved the design - I know it’s been out for a year or there abouts?

Am I best in waiting for a new version to come out? Or would of one come out around about now if a new version was coming out?

If it were to come out this year it would have been released already. The last rumor I read was a new version would be released in the first half of next year. I want to upgrade as well, but since my old iPad is still working ok I’m gonna wait unless some phenomenal Black Friday deal tempts me.

Then again, the new tariffs will be coming into effect soon which looks like it will cause price increases so the new models may be considerably more expensive.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015

Before April 2020 which is the beginning of Apple’s Fiscal year. Gotta keep those stock holders happy.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
From what we have read in regard to rumours, Apple are said to be updating the iPad Pro in the first half of 2020. They are rumoured to be coming with a 3D sensor system. What this actually means I have no idea.

Personally I’m waiting until the update, my 2017 replacement iPad Pro is still working great. When Apple do update the iPad Pro, I will be buying one and passing my 2017 down to my mother who is currently using my old Air 2.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I'm debated... an iPad Pro with Black Friday promotion or wait until next year (not sure when) for the new model at full price ?

All depends on what you currently have... as @Dave245 pointed out, if you have a iPad that is working great.. then wait it out. But if you are looking for an upgrade, I'd say look out for deals on Black Friday. My 2017 12.9 iPP had issues.. which pushed me to upgrade, but this was earlier this year.

Reactions: Dave245

ScreenSavers

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2016
Bloomingdale, GA
The only thing it needs is more durability. My 11” is the flimsiest thing in the world. It constantly gets bent, it pops if you press it in places, and it’s so flexible.

Ungibbed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2010
USA
Small world... Still have my original iPad Air and it’s working great (still looks new in fact) but it’s 32GB of storage is absolutely full and no iPadOS.

Hopefully it’s replacement gets here on Friday.

Reactions: Ludatyk

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
The only thing it needs is more durability. My 11” is the flimsiest thing in the world. It constantly gets bent, it pops if you press it in places, and it’s so flexible.

Mine has been solid, I have the 12.9”.. never been bent. And I have the cellular version, It does wherever I go. I would think the 12.9” have the highest chance of bending due to its size.

FlyingDutch

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2019
Eindhoven (NL)
All depends on what you currently have... as @Dave245 pointed out, if you have a iPad that is working great.. then wait it out. But if you are looking for an upgrade, I'd say look out for deals on Black Friday. My 2017 12.9 iPP had issues.. which pushed me to upgrade, but this was earlier this year.
iPad Pro 10.5" ... it is working very well, but it is just 64 Gb and I definitely need more storage.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
iPad Pro 10.5" ... it is working very well, but it is just 64 Gb and I definitely need more storage.

Yeah, I tend to splurge out on storage for iPads. Because I add more content to it due to the screen real estate. I never go for the base model for iPads, it’s worth in the end to go to the mid tier instead of having to micromanaging storage.

Reactions: FlyingDutch

delta0

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2018
London
It won’t be long to wait, by March. I expect a much faster processor, more RAM, much better battery life and new ToF camera. There is also some talk about a new keyboard as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.