Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
Wacom just came out with a new product called the Wacom Pro engine. Basically its a computer that slides in and snaps onto the back of their new 24 inch cintiq pro and the new 32 inch cintiq pro monster coming later. The engine is laptop size windows machine and can be either regular core i5 or xeon both with 6GB of DDR5 NVidia Quadra P3200m. Do you guys think apple would create a mini with a Xeon in it like the pro engine and that graphics chip. I need a new computer badly and want something small like the wacom pro engine but I want to stay with OSX. The engine is actually half the size of the mini height wise and has a 6gb video card I am unable to find any information to reference from. Is hoping for a Xeon mini and it having a 6gb NVidia quadro P3200m graphics chip like the engine isnt too out of apples realm to accomplish.

Last edited:

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
It's uncertain if Apple will come out with a new Mini. If they do come out with a new one, it's very unlikely to have a Xeon option. However, Apple has said it wants to come out with a new Mac Pro this year. All the Intel Mac Pro's have used Xeon chips so it's very likely the new Mac Pro will have Xeon and a high-performance GPU option.

The iMac Pro has a 8-Core 3.2Ghz Xeon chip with AMD Radeon Pro Vega GPU that has 8GB of memory. The price is $4999. If you subtract the cost of what they sell the stand-alone 5K monitor for ($1300), you get a price of $3700. Apple will not market a computer with similar performance specs that will substantially undercut this price. Maybe Apple will come out with a low-end Mac Pro quad-core that would be $3000? That's actually the list price of the "current" low-end Mac Pro with a 6-core Xeon. That would be the closest that I would expect Apple to come out with that would meet what your looking for.

Reactions: Boyd01

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
Yeah they haven't had a xeon option yet so I guess its a bit unrealistic. I was able to find more information about the wacom engine and the xeon is 4 core only and the graphics is mid range. Id love an Imac pro but they are just so expensive to me its not even a pipe dream its so out there. A mini with mid range specs would be more my speed.

Trapantski

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2019
I purchased a Cintiq Pro 32 and am wondering whether a 2019 iMac i9, Vega 48, 64GB RAM and 1TB SSD will allow me to work fairly lag-lessly on 200 to 250 megapixel images in Photoshop... Any thoughts?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.