Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Risco

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
Just found this, unfortunately it is not currently supported for my Mid 2014 MacBook. However the video below it gives smooth pinch zoom, and various other native style gestures.

Device support
There is a bring-up issue for certain MacBook Pro and MacBook Air. I am looking into it. If you have such device with Windows installed, please contact me so I can look into the issue remotely (as I don't have many devices).

• Non-Retina MacBook
  • Some non-Retina MacBook Pro (2011 and 2012)
  • MacBook Pro with Retina Display (MacBookPro 10,1, MacBookPro10,2 & MacBookPro11,1)
  • All recent MacBook Air (Please report if your model is not supported)
  • Apple Magic Trackpad 2 (Not stable)
  • (Work in progress) MacBook Pro with Retina Display (2014, 2015)
  • (Work in progress) MacBook Pro 2015, 2016, 2017
https://github.com/imbushuo/mac-precision-touchpad#installation

Reactions: Mark-Technology

ohnggni

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2018
Hwaseong, South Korea
Now, it supports the macbook pro retina mid-2014. I installed this driver in my bootcamp win10 and it works like a chime. Especially feeling of scrolling with my two fingers on the screen looks really really similar in macOS.

whiteonline

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2011
California, USA
I built and installed the SPI drivers on my 2016 15" machine. Works great. I still miss three finger drag, but the three-finger swipe to switch virtual desktop and go forward/back in Edge is fantastic.
Just waiting for the signed binaries so I can disable driver test mode.

I highly recommend disabling tap to click for a better experience.

Risco

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
Now, it supports the macbook pro retina mid-2014. I installed this driver in my bootcamp win10 and it works like a chime. Especially feeling of scrolling with my two fingers on the screen looks really really similar in macOS.

Finally got round to testing, I have the exact same MacBook.

Can you explain exactly what I need to do as his instructions are extremely basic! I tried manually updating but it says device cannot start?

Last edited:

ohnggni

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2018
Hwaseong, South Korea
Finally got round to testing, I have the exact same MacBook.

Can you explain exactly what I need to do as his instructions are extremely basic! I tried manually updating but it says device cannot start?
I just did that as the instruction below. (maybe...) After rebooting, I felt the scrolling with two fingers became awesome. I discovered the touch pad setting was activated and I could modify several setting such as three fingers and four fingers gestures.

The following is the excerpt from the github link you mentioned above.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
USB Installation
  1. Go to the release tab in Github and download the newest version
  2. Open the zip and navigate to Drivers\x64\ReleaseSigned
  3. Install AmtPtpDevice.cer certificate to your machine's root authority store
  4. Go to AmtPtpDevice directory
  5. Right click AmtPtpDevice.inf and install it

samjwitwicky

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2012
Hi guys, i installed it on my Macbook 12 inch but then the trackpad stopped working. Even after a reboot. how do i un-install this? Please help!

runebinder

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2009
Nottingham, UK
Thanks for this, got it working on my 16" MBP. Only issue I'm having is that scrolling feels sluggish after installing, everything else like pinch & zoom, opening Task View, switching desktops etc. is working perfectly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.