Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

digitalrampage

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2001
Sydney, Australia
I was at work yesterday installing some ram into a new eMac and I quickly ran the 'Apple Hardware test kit' over it...

Under one of the Panels in the test kit it has a BATTERY section.. marked 'Right' and 'Left'

However, no models of Apple Laptop/dekstop computer have been available with Dual batteries until well after these Test Kits surfaced years ago now.

I suggest you try on your iMac or eMac with test kit 1.2.1 (this is what i used).. Its under the profiler tab on the top right...

Interesting huh.. I doubt this was left in accidently, as the last powerbook that support two batts, (The PISMO) never came with the Test Kits...

- Digi

Powerbook G3 500 PISMO
384MB, 40GB 5400 RPM HD
OS X.2.1

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
Maybe it is a chip that takes a whole bunch of power, so they are making up for it by using 2 batteries. A 1.2 GHz tiBook would definitely not have too long of a battery life, unless it had 2 batteries. Good eye.

shadowfax0

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2002
...The old PB G3's were able to have 2 batteries, so I guess it was jsut for backwards compatibility. I'd love it if the new ones were able to as well...

gopher

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2002
Maryland, USA
You have to remember even Powerbooks have PRAM batteries...could this test be for the PRAM battery in addition to the regular battery?

iNeo

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2002
MA
Where?

I have a Ti667 and I'm wondering where the seecond battery would go? The internal optical drive is a must. Mabie they would give us two smaller batts with the current capacity so we could swap them on the go. Then again, you really just need to put the computer to sleep to swap them now. :cool:

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Re: New PB G4 - Two batteries?

Originally posted by digitalrampage

Under one of the Panels in the test kit it has a BATTERY section.. marked 'Right' and 'Left'

However, no models of Apple Laptop/dekstop computer have been available with Dual batteries until well after these Test Kits surfaced years ago now.

- Digi
My PowerBook G3 has two bays that can hold batteries, one on the left and the other on the right. Clearly, Apple is not going to write different versions of its test software for every specific model. This software is designed to test a wide array of models, not just those being sold when you woke up this morning.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.