Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mikael H

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2014

DJLC

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
North Carolina
That's pretty hot. I wonder if it's capable / how good it would be running as a VPN client to push all my network traffic thru a VPN at the router level. I'm running a pfsense box now, which is working great w/ no speed degradation, but it'd be cool to simplify.

hobowankenobi

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 27, 2015
on the land line mr. smith.
That's pretty hot. I wonder if it's capable / how good it would be running as a VPN client to push all my network traffic thru a VPN at the router level. I'm running a pfsense box now, which is working great w/ no speed degradation, but it'd be cool to simplify.

Good question.

Seems like it should have enough resources, but have not used a UBNT VPN, so I can't say. They have been doing enterprise routing for a good long while...so one would expect it to be a good/mature service. Maybe someone with hands-on experience can weigh in.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Looks like a nice, fairly high-end all-n-one router/switch/wifi unit in a pretty package, with the capability to extend with UBNT access points.

Looks like an internal power supply...so no brick.

Don't see any mention of POE, which would be nice for simple/clean APs.

Will be interested to see a some serious tests and reviews. An overview video is here.
I have 3 of these at the moment. 2 regular and 1 Pro.
There is no PoE in any of them as they are more so catered to Home Use.
UBNT offers wall plug in access points like this for home to extend coverage

You can add PoE switches as well for a more robust network and this works just fine.

The ONLY thing so far for me that does not work like the USG is "automatic vpn setup" or the ability to control the Dream Machine from another controller.
You can do site to site VPN but they are manual setup "for now" but appears an update is coming to include automatic.
The controller software is built-in and it can control other UniFi devices, it just can not control another Dream Machine.
You can have multiple Dream Machines on your ubnt account and can easily switch between them but they can't control each other with the latest software as of today.

If anyone wants further info I would be happy to share.

Reactions: hobowankenobi

hobowankenobi

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 27, 2015
on the land line mr. smith.
I have 3 of these at the moment. 2 regular and 1 Pro.
There is no PoE in any of them as they are more so catered to Home Use.
UBNT offers wall plug in access points like this for home to extend coverage

You can add PoE switches as well for a more robust network and this works just fine.

The ONLY thing so far for me that does not work like the USG is "automatic vpn setup" or the ability to control the Dream Machine from another controller.
You can do site to site VPN but they are manual setup "for now" but appears an update is coming to include automatic.
The controller software is built-in and it can control other UniFi devices, it just can not control another Dream Machine.
You can have multiple Dream Machines on your ubnt account and can easily switch between them but they can't control each other with the latest software as of today.

If anyone wants further info I would be happy to share.

Thanks for the details!

POE would be nice for the price. A switch or injectors always work, but more stuff to manage, or more clutter...and more stuff to buy. Obviously POE is not a typical SOHO demand, and the market seems to be moving to wifi mesh.

Anything else to add? Pretty subjective...but what do you think of coverage, compared to the average modern wifi router?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.