Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vniow

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
I'm not sure if this has been posted before, but I just saw this article yesterday at XLR8yourmac.com

Info on Non-Pioneer Superdrive in recent iMac G4s (DVD-R/-RW plus DVD-RAM?) About a month or so ago I had heard that some new iMac G4s had non-Pioneer DVD-R/RW drives - a reader with one of these just sent an email with more info:

" Hey Mike ...
Just wanted to let you know that Apple has changed the SuperDrive in the latest shipping iMacs. I just bought a 17" iMac LCD straight from Apple's Developer Connection (we're Select developers at work) and I was surprised to see that Mac OS 9.2.2's Apple System Profiler identified the drive as

-------------------------------------------------------------------
DVD-R/CD-RW
Driver version: 1.4.8
Mac OS partitions: 0
Removable media: Yes
Vendor: HL-DT-ST
Revision Number: D02D
Product ID: DVD-RW GCA-4020B
Apple disc burning: Supported
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Depending on who you believe, "HL-DT-ST" is either Hitachi or GoldStar in Korea - I'm not sure which.

A few Google searches revealed that this drive does DVD-R, DVD-RW *and* DVD-RAM! And, supposedly, the CD-R burning speeds are 12x, which is apparently faster than the previous Pioneer SuperDrives. (I can't personally verify this myself, not knowing the specs of the Pioneer A03/A04)
(Pioneer DVR-104/A04 and 103/A04 have a 8x/4x max (CDR/CDRW) burn speed rating.-Mike)
The only place I could find on the Mac Web that mentioned this new development is a 5-day old article on MacWelt.DE, the German Mac site.
Regards,
- Greg E"

About a dozen readers wrote in reply to this post mentioning LG or Hitachi links, etc. - another iMac G4 owner sent info from the label on the drive:

"FYI, I'll read off the label on a superdrive taken out of 17" iMac delivered approx. 3 weeks ago (yep, I've opened the iMac to take a closer look):

HðL Data Storage
CD-RW / DVD-R/RW DRIVE
MODEL No. GCA-4020B
DRIVE REV. A1

manufactured SEPTEMBER 2002
Hitachi-LG Data Storage, Inc.
(...), Tokyo, Japan
MADE IN JAPAN

I tried to look up tech. specs of this GCA-4020B on the web, but got nowhere so far.
Cheers,
Jan"

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
whats new??? so apple isnt telling us exactly what is in our machines. last time i checked apple didt tell us that the DVD burners in our systems are capable of doing DVD-RW. why would they tell us that they are using a different manufacturer??? and, oh no!!! more formats!!! they better not tell us and add to the value of buying a mac

vniow

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
Wow you took all that time to reply to a dead topic that everybody else ignored for over a day?

FYI, it's not just a different manufacturer, the newer drive burns CDs faster and does DVD-RAM also.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.