Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yourbigpalal83

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 22, 2015
Ugh its been a nightmare with these pros. I want to love them, i truly truly do, but ive bought 2 of them and each one had bending issues and i am as delicate with them as a newborn baby and i had to return both.

Ive been though the entire lineup with the air and the mini, both are fantastic devices, but dont compare to the pro, which i think we can all reasonably agree has a design flaw that they bend too easy.

Now granted, most people dont intentionally bend there expensive devices and most put them in cases, and i always have put all my apple products in otterbox cases but i actually bent one in the act of putting it in the case and i dident even apply force to it.

Thankfully apple understood and refunded me, but heres my question...

We do know new pros are coming out sometime soon. People swore it be by the end of this year, of course that did not happen. Now people were saying by March, but now thats in question too and the rumor has been moved back to late next year (which if they are adding new features to the camera that will be the same with the 2020 iphones, makes more sense)

heres the issue i have.

I need an ipad for work and i need a durable one that can take reasonable wear in a case (hense why i always put everything in otterbox cases)

as much as i love the current ipads, the bending issue just makes them impractical for me to use out in the field.

WHEN the new ones arrive, god willing they address the bending issue and reinforce it, if they do its a instant buy for me. Question is when do you think that will happen...march-June or Sep-Nov next year?

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I’m hoping for March/April but that really is just hope.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
WHEN the new ones arrive, god willing they address the bending issue and reinforce it, if they do its a instant buy for me. Question is when do you think that will happen...march-June or Sep-Nov next year?

Very unfortunately you had bending issues with the iPP, but I've been speculating that the next iPad Pro will be released sometime around March-June. I've never thought Apple would release a new one this fall, the iPad Pro has never been a 12-month cycle release product.

Others wanted to happened, since they was looking to upgrade and didn't want to buy the 2018 iPP while the cycle was near its end. But I've constantly taken my iPP out with me.. never had any bending issues, albeit I dropped it once.

Reactions: Yourbigpalal83

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
If it’s updated next year around October time, that will make it 2 years since it was updated. I think its more likely to be around June WWDC or at the usual September event.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
1st gen
iPad Pro: Nov 2015
iPad Pro 9.7: Mar 2016

2nd gen: Jun 2017

3rd gen: Nov 2018

1st -> 2nd (15-19 months) -> 3rd (17 months)

If they wait until Sep/Oct for the next Pro, that would be a gap of 22-23 months, close to a full 2 years.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
1st gen
iPad Pro: Nov 2015
iPad Pro 9.7: Mar 2016

2nd gen: Jun 2017

3rd gen: Nov 2018

1st -> 2nd (15-19 months) -> 3rd (17 months)

If they wait until Sep/Oct for the next Pro, that would be a gap of 22-23 months, close to a full 2 years.

I think it’s going to depend if it’s ready, if they have the rumoured Mini-LED technology ready, I could see them announcing it at WWDC in June.
They will also have competition from Microsoft’s Surface Neo later next year (Holiday 2020). So it will be interesting to see what happens there.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
Ugh its been a nightmare with these pros. I want to love them, i truly truly do, but ive bought 2 of them and each one had bending issues and i am as delicate with them as a newborn baby and i had to return both.

Ive been though the entire lineup with the air and the mini, both are fantastic devices, but dont compare to the pro, which i think we can all reasonably agree has a design flaw that they bend too easy.

Now granted, most people dont intentionally bend there expensive devices and most put them in cases, and i always have put all my apple products in otterbox cases but i actually bent one in the act of putting it in the case and i dident even apply force to it.

Thankfully apple understood and refunded me, but heres my question...

We do know new pros are coming out sometime soon. People swore it be by the end of this year, of course that did not happen. Now people were saying by March, but now thats in question too and the rumor has been moved back to late next year (which if they are adding new features to the camera that will be the same with the 2020 iphones, makes more sense)

heres the issue i have.

I need an ipad for work and i need a durable one that can take reasonable wear in a case (hense why i always put everything in otterbox cases)

as much as i love the current ipads, the bending issue just makes them impractical for me to use out in the field.

Probably March 2020.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I think it’s going to depend if it’s ready, if they have the rumoured Mini-LED technology ready, I could see them announcing it at WWDC in June.
They will also have competition from Microsoft’s Surface Neo later next year (Holiday 2020). So it will be interesting to see what happens there.

I highly doubt they wait until June to release a new iPad Pro.

But in regards to competition from Microsoft, not quite sure about that one. The Surface X is not all what it’s cracked up to be, and from the looks of it... until Microsoft gives us a solid proof they can be viable in the tablet space.. I wouldn’t bet on it.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I actually believe that the best thing for Apple to do is to release a minor update to the iPad Pro now (new A13X and other processors, 6GB of RAM across the range rather than just the 1 TB models), and then release the mini-LED iPad Pro later with a screen-only update in late 2020 (same specs, but upgraded screen).

Can you imagine the complaining if Apple released a new iPad Pro in April 2020, and then released another new model 5-6 months later? Not worth the trouble.

BootLoxes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2019
I actually believe that the best thing for Apple to do is to release a minor update to the iPad Pro now (new A13X and other processors, 6GB of RAM across the range rather than just the 1 TB models), and then release the mini-LED iPad Pro later with a screen-only update in late 2020 (same specs, but upgraded screen).

Can you imagine the complaining if Apple released a new iPad Pro in April 2020, and then released another new model 5-6 months later? Not worth the trouble.

Thats what I fear. If they announce a new ipad pro early 2020 I will be skeptical another one would release in the fall.

If it has mini led i will buy it, if not then i will wait til the fall

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I highly doubt they wait until June to release a new iPad Pro.

But in regards to competition from Microsoft, not quite sure about that one. The Surface X is not all what it’s cracked up to be, and from the looks of it... until Microsoft gives us a solid proof they can be viable in the tablet space.. I wouldn’t bet on it.

You think they will release one earlier than WWDC? it's possible that they hold an event in March-April. If they are putting in new screen technology (Mini LED) and a 3D camera, it will be something they want to show off on stage, so i don't expect a silent update.

I'm not too sure about the Surface Pro X, i did try a Surface Pro 6 last year. I sold it 6 months later. I couldn't get use to it, i'm much more use to my iPad Pro and apps. That's not to say it didn't have it's good points, i love the kickstand and the screen was really good.

I'm intrigued by the Surface Neo and Duo, whether i buy one is a different matter. I will wait and see what happens with it first and what reviews have to say.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.