Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
What we've been talking about

newseveryday.com

(click-bait site - stories all appear to be false)

If anyone would report anything factual and first for that matter, IGN would have their hands on it. Followed by Gamespot. Those are actually legitimate sources.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Well they've announced the "Foundation patch" or something like that. Adds base building and other unannounced stuff. I'm excited! Realistically all I want is base building, some GPS system to find specific areas on planets (rather than just the planet itself), and land vehicles. My kingdom for a speed bike thing so we can fly off ramps.

What's big about this announcement is it marks the end of the silence since it launched, and that what they have planned is big... and free!

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Well they've announced the "Foundation patch" or something like that. Adds base building and other unannounced stuff. I'm excited! Realistically all I want is base building, some GPS system to find specific areas on planets (rather than just the planet itself), and land vehicles. My kingdom for a speed bike thing so we can fly off ramps.

What's big about this announcement is it marks the end of the silence since it launched, and that what they have planned is big... and free!

Can you provide a link where you read this? Any update at this point sounds promising. Thanks.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Their update notes are here http://www.no-mans-sky.com/foundation-update/ in a lovely blog format.

I'm gonna fire it up later, it looks like it adds loads of awesome new stuff. I'm pretty pumped! Genuinely all I need now are land vehicles - the rest is gravy.

OMG!

Did they implement the PC "Explorer" mod where you have infinite resources so you only have to worry about exploring instead of survival?

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
OMG!

Did they implement the PC "Explorer" mod where you have infinite resources so you only have to worry about exploring instead of survival?
Sounds good doesn't it! If only they said they were working on something big like this and not just remain silent! It might have prevented people from pursuing refunds and landed them some good publicity.
(but on the other hand people might not have believed them and it might have been best to just work on it in secret and let their new work speak for itself)

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
Sounds good doesn't it! If only they said they were working on something big like this and not just remain silent! It might have prevented people from pursuing refunds and landed them some good publicity.
(but on the other hand people might not have believed them and it might have been best to just work on it in secret and let their new work speak for itself)

For you console players - is this good to play on the couch with a console or would you think playing on a PC would be better?

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
For you console players - is this good to play on the couch with a console or would you think playing on a PC would be better?
For me it's a relaxing game. I like sitting back in the recliner with a bag of non-sticky sweets and playing till the desire to kill folk in GTA Online gets too much.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Just watched the official revamp trailer. Wow. What a huge update. Perhaps Hello Games has life after all investing in this game. Looking forward to trying it.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I juts poked around in my game, and some of the changes appear to be somewhat window dressing, i.e., different elements now charge your thrusters and suit. While they mentioned combat has been improved, the one battle I was in didn't seem too different. I'm not complaining, just pointing out I didn't notice any difference.

There's some UI changes that appear to be a nice touch. I haven't tried my hand at building bases or interacting with freighters.

The creative mode looks interesting, when I have more time, I'll fire that up.

Its nice to see the developers rolling out such a major update, and it looks like overall its a positive move.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
This title has to be the biggest hype I've EVER seen....

I wanted to originally get the Limited Edition, but was "sold out" immediately. Such a collectible for such a great game! You can still get the regular version before it sells out!

Low and behold, now there's a huge restock at Amazon and Gamestop on September 5... :eek:

https://www.amazon.com/No-Mans-Sky-Limited-PlayStation-4/dp/B01CINIAKS/

Really?

The negativity will pass when all the patches so that it runs well are out and the game is going for $30 retail and $25 used - the price it was supposed to be in the first place.

I'll definitely get a Steam copy for $20 at around their holiday sale...

For me it's a relaxing game. I like sitting back in the recliner with a bag of non-sticky sweets and playing till the desire to kill folk in GTA Online gets too much.

Well, I am able to finally play this game...

Steam finally has it on sale for $36 ($40 with local taxes), but since I had already bought a Limited Edition (from an eBay person who didn't really want it after playing) for $40 shipped, I decided to put the money into buying a PS4 Slim over the holiday sales (was $235 after taxes and trading in Uncharted 4).

Please note:

My Internet is down (have to upgrade to AT&T Fiber Optic - too busy this past week), so I am playing with a off the shelf PS4 Slim with NMS 1.0 (no updates). The game has not crashed at all for me, though the PS4 Slim runs really, really hot (due to the CPU computations).

I decided to go with the console as well since it seems like a "couch" game.

My impression before all the hype/negativity was it was a balanced spaceflight/exploring game you can play alone off-line and that multiplayer was simply updating a central database with all the players discoveries/renaming of planets & wildlife.

I know much has been fixed/updated in the recent Foundations Patch.

Verdict: Great game, for $25 (the content before Base-Building).

PROS:
- Procedural Generation is quite an achievement.
- Love the retro-future art style.
- Like to be able to "do what you want" and be the type of game you want (explore, mine, fly).
- No "watch this cinematic breaks" (I hate when videogames try to have a "story").
- The Outposts, Monoliths, Ruins, and Space Stations are neat.
- Space flight/combat is easy (needs to be in this type of game where it is just one of the components).
- Love the soundtrack.
- I started doing what I do in real-life - take pictures... :eek: ;)

CONS:
- The planets are looking mostly alike - grey or yellow with sparse vegetation (fixed).
- Always having to replenish basic life-support and ship fuel is starting to be tedious (PC version has mods).
- Basic mechanics seem overlooked (I can't shoot animals attacking me - why? fixed?)
- Pop-ins (fixed).

HYPE-TRAIN:
- Yes, much was promised. I was part when I tried to get a Limited Edition (Gamestop said they had "sold out" within hours and I went the day after), but glad I waited. Feel sorry for the guy I bought it from who took a big loss... :(
- The Sony hype was over-whelming - especially with holding back LE copies (many copies had "surfaced" at retail after the release, but happened just when the negative reviews had started).
- I can see the anger, if I had bought the LE for $90 after taxes and got just what I have now, I would be angry. The game was way, way, overpriced...
- Hello Games remained too silent during the negativity - they should've told people what is going on.
- This game is being compared to "Star Citizen" and "Elite Dangerous". These are all different games...

The game should've been released at $29 and then have paid DLC for those who want it.

I don't think I'd be into the Base-Building/Farming/Hydroponics Lab type of thing. They could've had it available as a $10 add-on for those who want it.

I would like to have an"Explorers Only" mode where you don't have to "survive" and replenish life-support/fueling at all (I saw vids on the "Infinite Resources Mod" and it is really cool - you don't have to worry about life-support or ship fueling... just explore and craft like in Everspace).

Well, having fun with it - looking forward to the latest patch. It IS a GREAT couch Space Exploration game - for $25... ;)

Some cool pics:

b109ea811842f845ca29df7b821ca173.jpg

Last I left off was at a planet with a cool manufacturing facility...

2e13c097ac005b22fe15cc90ec24a796.jpg

5380b6a25ef565d94511b48ba51e708d.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Jovian9

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

Steam finally has it on sale for $36 ($40 with local taxes), but since I had already bought a Limited Edition (from an eBay person who didn't really want it after playing) for $40 shipped, I decided to put the money into buying a PS4 Slim over the holiday sales (was $235 after taxes and trading in Uncharted 4).

Please note:

My Internet is down (have to upgrade to AT&T Fiber Optic - too busy this past week), so I am playing with a off the shelf PS4 Slim with NMS 1.0 (no updates). The game has not crashed at all for me, though the PS4 Slim runs really, really hot (due to the CPU computations).

My impression before all the hype/negativity was it was a balanced spaceflight/exploring game you can play alone off-line and that multiplayer was simply updating a central database with all the players discoveries/renaming of planets & wildlife.

PROS:
- Procedural Generation is quite an achievement.
- Love the retro-future art style.
- Like to be able to "do what you want" and be the type of game you want (explore, mine, fly).
- No "watch this cinematic breaks" (I hate when videogames try to have a "story").
- The Outposts, Monoliths, Ruins, and Space Stations are neat.
- Space flight/combat is easy (needs to be in this type of game where it is just one of the components).
- Love the soundtrack.
- I started doing what I do in real-life - take pictures... :eek: ;)

CONS:
- The planets are looking mostly alike - grey or yellow with sparse vegetation (fixed).
- Always having to replenish basic life-support and ship fuel is starting to be tedious (PC version has mods).
- Basic mechanics seem overlooked (I can't shoot animals attacking me - why? fixed?)
- Pop-ins (fixed).

HYPE-TRAIN:
- Yes, much was promised. I was part when I tried to get a Limited Edition (Gamestop said they had "sold out" within hours and I went the day after), but glad I waited. Feel sorry for the guy I bought it from who took a big loss... :(
- The Sony hype was over-whelming - especially with holding back LE copies (many copies had "surfaced" at retail after the release, but happened just when the negative reviews had started).
- I can see the anger, if I had bought the LE for $90 after taxes and got just what I have now, I would be angry. The game was way, way, overpriced...
- Hello Games remained too silent during the negativity - they should've told people what is going on.
- This game is being compared to "Star Citizen" and "Elite Dangerous". These are all different games...

The game should've been released at $29 and then have paid DLC for those who want it.

I don't think I'd be into the Base-Building/Farming/Hydroponics Lab type of thing. They could've had it available as a $10 add-on for those who want it.

I would like to have an"Explorers Only" mode where you don't have to "survive" and replenish life-support/fueling at all (I saw vids on the "Infinite Resources Mod" and it is really cool - you don't have to worry about life-support or ship fueling... just explore and craft like in Everspace).

Well, having fun with it - looking forward to the latest patch. It IS a GREAT couch Space Exploration game - for $25... ;)

Some cool pics:

b109ea811842f845ca29df7b821ca173.jpg

Last I left off was at a planet with a cool manufacturing facility...

2e13c097ac005b22fe15cc90ec24a796.jpg

5380b6a25ef565d94511b48ba51e708d.jpg

I like the pictures. Doesn't the new Exolorer mode in the foundation update permit to play without boundaries? I haven't had the opportunity to play it yet with the new update.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
I like the pictures. Doesn't the new Exolorer mode in the foundation update permit to play without boundaries? I haven't had the opportunity to play it yet with the new update.

Thanks!

There are now videos describing the different game modes.

Yeah, I thought the Creative Mode just gave you infinite resources and you still needed to do recharges, but according to this video, you don't have to worry about survival all:

KUDOS to the PC modding community that hopefully gave an indication to HG what to include in the PS4 version!

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
I ended up getting NMS on a Black Friday sale for $25. And in less than a week, the update kicked in, and so far, I am enjoying it.

Ultimately, it's for my son, since we got a PS4 Pro, and I was looking for non-1st person shooter games.

He's enjoying it and I'm enjoying it, but I can see where people would get bent out of shape expecting heavy combat and multiplayer.

Hopefully more patches will fallow. Sorry to those who felt like they got burned at launch. But for $25 and the base building patch, I feel like I got my money's worth.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I ended up getting NMS on a Black Friday sale for $25. And in less than a week, the update kicked in, and so far, I am enjoying it.

Ultimately, it's for me son, since we got a PS4 Pro, and I was looking for non-1st person shooter games.

He's enjoying it and I'm enjoying it, but I can see where people would get bent out of shape expecting heavy combat and multiplayer.

Hopefully more patches will fallow. Sorry to those who felt like they got burned at launch. But for $25 and the base building patch, I feel like I got my money's worth.

That's a fair price. This game offers a lot of
Potential with these future updates. Hopefully, Hello Games keeps moving forward.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
For those still thinking about it - Gamestop has NMS for PS4 physical disc on sale this week NEW for $20 and USED for $18. Sale ends Saturday, 17 Dec.

Used you have 7 days to try it and if you don't like it, you can return it.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
For those still thinking about it - Gamestop has NMS for PS4 physical disc on sale this week NEW for $20 and USED for $18. Sale ends Saturday, 17 Dec.

Used you have 7 days to try it and if you don't like it, you can return it.

Surprisingly, after the foundation update, a lot of the copies used in store are sold out. Seems to have sparked an interest for some.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
Surprisingly, after the foundation update, a lot of the copies used in store are sold out. Seems to have sparked an interest for some.

Plus with used, you can return it for a full refund if you don't like the game.

There are tons and tons of new PS4 copies everywhere - mostly on sale this holiday season for $25.

Sony must have printed millions and millions of them. :eek:

At least they didn't end up in a landfill... ;)

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004

Well, I've finally been able to have my old DSL line upgraded to U-Verse, which is faster and cheaper for basic Internet.

So, I've also updated my PS4 Slim to the latest system and updated No Man's Sky. I've played 2 hours in the new version so far.

So far, new copies are at $40, and used at Gamestop is $20.

Verdict: What a great game, again, for $30....

The "Foundations Patch" adds a "Creativity Mode" - where you don't have to worry about survival. You do have to recharge a thing or two (like the Mining Laser and Ship's Engine) - but is doesn't cost anything.

You can do anything you want, I left my base unchanged and just started to explore the local system, which is what I'm primarily interested in.

The planets are varied now. One of the planets in my starting system was harsh, yet I didn't have to constantly mine and recharge my suit - this was very, very welcomed. I only had to worry about exploring.

The only thing is that I am not able to continue my original game in the new mode.

There is still pop-in, but to be expected with such a procedurally generated console CPU intensive game.

The PS4 Slim, with the latest firmware patch, seems to run much cooler.

Talking to the local Gamestop, there are a lot of people trading it in after playing a while, and also buying the used copies. Reasonable for $20 used.

I can see used copies of this game go up in price as the developers continue to release major features for free to the game. I guess they would have to since it was originally $60... :eek: ;)

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Well, I've finally been able to have my old DSL line upgraded to U-Verse, which is faster and cheaper for basic Internet.

So, I've also updated my PS4 Slim to the latest system and updated No Man's Sky. I've played 2 hours in the new version so far.

So far, new copies are at $40, and used at Gamestop is $20.

Verdict: What a great game, again, for $30....

The "Foundations Patch" adds a "Creativity Mode" - where you don't have to worry about survival. You do have to recharge a thing or two (like the Mining Laser and Ship's Engine) - but is doesn't cost anything.

You can do anything you want, I left my base unchanged and just started to explore the local system, which is what I'm primarily interested in.

The planets are varied now. One of the planets in my starting system was harsh, yet I didn't have to constantly mine and recharge my suit - this was very, very welcomed. I only had to worry about exploring.

The only thing is that I am not able to continue my original game in the new mode.

There is still pop-in, but to be expected with such a procedurally generated console CPU intensive game.

The PS4 Slim, with the latest firmware patch, seems to run much cooler.

Talking to the local Gamestop, there are a lot of people trading it in after playing a while, and also buying the used copies. Reasonable for $20 used.

I can see used copies of this game go up in price as the developers continue to release major features for free to the game. I guess they would have to since it was originally $60... :eek: ;)

Agreed. If Hello Games continues to expand, it will draw previous gamers and new gamers alike.

Are you using creativity mode? You
Mentioned you needed to recharge your suit.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
Agreed. If Hello Games continues to expand, it will draw previous gamers and new gamers alike.

Are you using creativity mode? You
Mentioned you needed to recharge your suit.

Yes, Creativity.

I did have to recharge the Mining Laser and Ship Impulse Engines - doesn't cost anything and recharging automatically goes to 100%

I don't recall ever having to recharge the suite.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I love this game but I haven't played since a week after launch. I hit a few bugs and thought it best to wait for them to be fixed, but they never were (preorder ship bonus) so I decided to delete my save. Im interested to see how far they take this now so I'm holding off as long as I can before jumping back in, racking up all those updates along the way. Any news on when the next big update hits? Might jump back in for that one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.