Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I love this game but I haven't played since a week after launch. I hit a few bugs and thought it best to wait for them to be fixed, but they never were (preorder ship bonus) so I decided to delete my save. Im interested to see how far they take this now so I'm holding off as long as I can before jumping back in, racking up all those updates along the way. Any news on when the next big update hits? Might jump back in for that one.

I was wondering the same thing, when the next update will be released after the foundation update was released last month. Like I said before, I think this game has a lot of potential and I'm glad to see that they are expanding beyond how it was originally released. I'm glad I kept my copy.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Any news on ps4 pro patch support ?

I haven't heard anything. But I certainly am waiting if the developers decide to provide a patch. If they do, I certainly think it would be a benefit for them to draw in more gamers, aside from the foundation patch.

Reactions: MRU

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I haven't heard anything. But I certainly am waiting if the developers decide to provide a patch. If they do, I certainly think it would be a benefit for them to draw in more gamers, aside from the foundation patch.

I think they would mainly with the help of Sony - the more PRO enhancements for previously released games, the better.

It would definitely help with this game as it still has some pop-in's and "screen-door" on some of the textures.

Minor now considering all the stuff going on with the game to begin with.

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
I think I should pop this back in the PS4 to see the new update that was made. Think I read something about base building. This game needs something in my opinion.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
I think I should pop this back in the PS4 to see the new update that was made. Think I read something about base building. This game needs something in my opinion.

The base building I wasn't interested in, but getting rid of the "survival" aspect was the big one. It is nice to just explore and craft and not have to worry about it. I know having played the original release.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
No Mans Sky officially released patch version 1.2 on Wednesday. More ambient lighting, increase contrast, improvements with resolution textures and filtering options. And the biggest update is land vehicles and added ships exist inside the game.

It's nice to see Hello Games really starting to place an emphasis On what the game should've been from day one release.

http://no-mans-sky.com/pathfinder-update/

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
Will re-explore the game with the Pro Patch, it's what I have been waiting for. I am going to start from scratch.

DARNIT!

Should've spent the money on a Pro instead of getting the Slim... :mad:

This patch is MAJOR.

Just on a regular PS4, much pop-in and screen-door effect is gone, and the worlds are even more varied! New ships and land exploration vehicles!

OMG - this is awesome! I just played another hour in the Explorers mode and am still just in my original starting system! (Started over with the Explorer's Patch).

Went to a moon at one of the planets and found this awesome outpost!

e7433b111485e8d0819d48f78f6e9b53.jpg

f399d43a1d658d4ff6f1f56991506fe8.jpg

The used copy price is creeping up - they are around $25 now.

The PC copy's been at $60 (not on sale anymore on Steam) - no wonder - this patch is AWESOME!

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
DARNIT!

This patch is MAJOR.

Just on a regular PS4, much pop-in and screen-door effect is gone, and the worlds are even more varied! New ships and land exploration vehicles!

OMG - this is awesome! I just played another hour in the Explorers mode and am still just in my original starting system! (Started over with the Explorer's Patch).

The PC copy's been at $60 (not on sale anymore on Steam) - no wonder - this patch is AWESOME!

I'm glad I kept my copy of this game. I always felt this game had potential. And now it does with the Pro Patch. And the Pro is proving it's capabilities slowly, but surely. Hello Games can easily keep expanding on this game.

Last edited:

Burningtime

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2015
BOSTON, MA.
Will I have to start a new game to enjoy all the benefits of the last two patches?

Nope! I jumped back into the game that I had since NMS launched (I was about 35hrs into it when I stopped playing) and all the updates were added in.

I have to say, playing this on a PS4 Pro with HDR enabled on a 4k TV and boost mode activated is absolutely awesome. Everything looks so crisp and the gameplay is much smoother.

I'm really glad Hello Games kept at it and didn't let all the negatively stop them from bringing new life into this game.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
Nope! I jumped back into the game that I had since NMS launched (I was about 35hrs into it when I stopped playing) and all the updates were added in.

I have to say, playing this on a PS4 Pro with HDR enabled on a 4k TV and boost mode activated is absolutely awesome. Everything looks so crisp and the gameplay is much smoother.

I'm really glad Hello Games kept at it and didn't let all the negatively stop them from bringing new life into this game.

But that game you started will remain in "survival" mode, or can you switch to the new "explorer" mode? Can you do the base building stuff?

Burningtime

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2015
BOSTON, MA.
But that game you started will remain in "survival" mode, or can you switch to the new "explorer" mode? Can you do the base building stuff?

Ahh I understand what you're asking now.
I know you can do the base building and other building stuff no prob. I haven't tried to switch to another game mode with my save yet though. I'll let you know when I do.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

This was a huge update and the Boost Mode is the perfect feature for this game to test its capabilities.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
DARNIT!

This patch is MAJOR.

To me, the Slim is a complete waste of money. It doesn't offer much over the original PS4. In some respects, it's a downgrade, being its missing the optical outlet for surround sound, which Sony took some criticism for deleting it. I do like the look and it's quieter, but I have no idea why someone wouldn't spend the extra money on the Pro. If you don't have a 4K TV, then perhaps the Slim would be more Suitable.

And the Re-sale value for the Slim is abysmal with the Pro widely available.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I still haven't played this since launch! Hah. I guess there will be lots waiting for me. Like the NES Mini, I bought this because I knew it would be great. It may be a journey but it will eventually get there :).

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
To me, the Slim is a complete waste of money. It doesn't offer much over the original PS4. In some respects, it's a downgrade, being its missing the optical outlet for surround sound, which Sony took some criticism for deleting it. I do like the look and it's quieter, but I have no idea why someone wouldn't spend the extra money on the Pro. If you don't have a 4K TV, then perhaps the Slim would be more Suitable.

And the Re-sale value for the Slim is abysmal with the Pro widely available.

I was replacing a PS4 I had sold to Gamestop for $200 cash (a special they were having) since I wasn't really playing any games on it apart from Killzone and R&C. Just in time as then Sony soon announced the new models a month after and sent the value plummeting.

Since there were more games I wanted to play, I took advantage of the crazy holiday sales. I was waffling at Target when they had the 15% off all items and the Slim was already on sale for $249.

The PRO would've been $150 more after taxes, but was wondering if I should just save the money for other things. Plus I'd only be taking advantage of the system's better graphics and framerates in 1080.

Plus it seemed that Sony said Devs had to provide "a patch" for PRO games, meaning that regular PS4 games wouldn't see a benefit. They have changed their minds with the "boost" mode...

Well, just have to wait for the PS4 PRO Slim... ;)

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Come on!

So last night I decided to fire NMS back up due to all the updates and PS4 Pro + HDR support along with all the enhancements.

It was actually enjoying it quite a bit...

Today I see another update (1.23) so I let it download and I get this....

I don't know how well that comes across in the video but that texture flickering on my 65" screen is like a strobe light. It's insanely distracting....maybe not unplayable but man it's not pleasant at all.

I captured that video because I wanted to see if it was TV or the data being sent to my TV. Might having something to do with HDR and I'm not sure if it's present throughout the world/universe or just at those trading post things. I sent them a bug report with a link to it, hopefully they can sort it out quick.

EDIT : it doesn't come across at all in the embedded player. If you are on mobile click on the title at the top of the video to open it in the YouTube app.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
I don't know how well that comes across in the video but that texture flickering on my 65" screen is like a strobe light. It's insanely distracting....maybe not unplayable but man it's not pleasant at all.

I captured that video because I wanted to see if it was TV or the data being sent to my TV. Might having something to do with HDR and I'm not sure if it's present throughout the world/universe or just at those trading post things. I sent them a bug report with a link to it, hopefully they can sort it out quick.

EDIT : it doesn't come across at all in the embedded player. If you are on mobile click on the title at the top of the video to open it in the YouTube app.

Maybe something with the PRO patch? Did you try turning "Framerate Lock" off?

On my PS4 Slim I was only at an outpost with a landing pad and I didn't see anything along those railings like you have - but it might be only at those Spaceports (with the many landing pads). I tried exploring a bit but I couldn't find a Spaceport to check it out (on my PC I've got a mod so I get a lot of those - but of course the PC doesn't exhibit the flicker).

Any update on your end?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

On my PS4 Slim I was only at an outpost with a landing pad and I didn't see anything along those railings like you have - but it might be only at those Spaceports (with the many landing pads). I tried exploring a bit but I couldn't find a Spaceport to check it out (on my PC I've got a mod so I get a lot of those - but of course the PC doesn't exhibit the flicker).

Any update on your end?

Zero issues since the latest update. Very impressed with what Hello Games addressed and everything looks much cleaner/brighter.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

Any update on your end?

I tried it with framelock on and off. However its mostly isolated to those ports. Because of their design and the size of my tv (in relation to the distance I sit from it) its much more noticeable. Else where in the universe isn't nearly as bad but I can still find it in places on occasion.

Its somewhat ironic that I was playing the game and everything was great and I coincidentally land in a place that shows the issue the worst after the update.

I'll just wait a couple months or so I have a list of games I need to beat anyway. I'm waiting on a sale for Yakuza 0 and I don't want a back log of unbeaten games before I get it. No Mans Sky isn't something I can beat anyway, so I can always come back to it.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
I tried it with framelock on and off. However its mostly isolated to those ports. Because of their design and the size of my tv (in relation to the distance I sit from it) its much more noticeable. Else where in the universe isn't nearly as bad but I can still find it in places on occasion.

Its somewhat ironic that I was playing the game and everything was great and I coincidentally land in a place that shows the issue the worst after the update.

I'll just wait a couple months or so I have a list of games I need to beat anyway. I'm waiting on a sale for Yakuza 0 and I don't want a back log of unbeaten games before I get it. No Mans Sky isn't something I can beat anyway, so I can always come back to it.

It may have something to do with the shader cache's - I have to clear them out each time I put a mod into the PC version.

Maybe uninstall NMS on PS4 (saving your data elsewhere first) then re-install. (I don't know how you can clear out the shader cache in a PS4).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.