Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Damoh

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2017
Hi guys, I'll try to explain myself as good as possible because you know, non-native English-speaker.

Yesterday, I wanted to record my iPhone-screen because I saw a funny part in a video that I wanted to share with my friends. I recorded the Screen with audio (hit "Mic on") and cut the part, that I wanted to show.

Now it gets funny - when sending this part my friend doesn't seem to have sound on the clip - it's muted. I uploaded it to Dropbox, sent the link: mute. I sent it to Gmail, downloaded it to my Mac: sound. I sent the MacBook-clip, uploaded it to Dropbox: mute.

Is there any protection, that I'm missing? I couldn't find anything in the internet, so I was wondering, if I did something wrong. I didn't convert it yet, so this could be something I'll have to check later.

Thanks for the replies!

Reactions: Srilaura

Chazzle

macrumors 68020
Jul 17, 2015
Hi guys, I'll try to explain myself as good as possible because you know, non-native English-speaker.

Yesterday, I wanted to record my iPhone-screen because I saw a funny part in a video that I wanted to share with my friends. I recorded the Screen with audio (hit "Mic on") and cut the part, that I wanted to show.

Now it gets funny - when sending this part my friend doesn't seem to have sound on the clip - it's muted. I uploaded it to Dropbox, sent the link: mute. I sent it to Gmail, downloaded it to my Mac: sound. I sent the MacBook-clip, uploaded it to Dropbox: mute.

Is there any protection, that I'm missing? I couldn't find anything in the internet, so I was wondering, if I did something wrong. I didn't convert it yet, so this could be something I'll have to check later.

Thanks for the replies!
Which iPhone do you have? Could be related to Dropbox compatibility with the new video formats on the 7 and 7 plus.

Reactions: Damoh

Damoh

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2017
Ah, my bad. I‘m iPhone 7 on the 11 GM and sent it to a friend who‘s also on the GM with his iPhone 7+

Alan D

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2017
California
I have a similar problem, posting a screen recording to Facebook. There's sound on the original on the iPhone 6s, with iOS 11.0.3. On my post, Facebook shows the has-sound wiggly bars in the bottom right corner, but there is no sound on this video at any volume level. Other videos I've shared from the same phone have audio, though this is the first I've done from a screen recording. Ideas?

Reactions: Srilaura

Böhme417

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
I don't think screen recording saves sound from the device/app or whatever is playing. Turning the mic on only records sound from the phone's mic. That is, if you were to speak while it was recording, it would record that. Otherwise, there is no audio.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
I don't think screen recording saves sound from the device/app or whatever is playing. Turning the mic on only records sound from the phone's mic. That is, if you were to speak while it was recording, it would record that. Otherwise, there is no audio.
Nope. It records device audio as well.

Alan D

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2017
California
Okay, I think I got it. After you record a screen video with voiceover, you can turn mic recording off again, record your screen again, and play your video with voiceover from your photo collection. It will re-record the playback of the video, and encode your voiceover properly this time.

I left both posts with and without audio on my Facebook company page (@lowfivestudio) if you're curious, and if you can tolerate my voice! (Posts dated 3 Nov 2017)

Jevanni

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2017
Okay, I think I got it. After you record a screen video with voiceover, you can turn mic recording off again, record your screen again, and play your video with voiceover from your photo collection. It will re-record the playback of the video, and encode your voiceover properly this time

Can you please rewrite this? Not sure I’m following correctly

adham7897

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2017
Same Problem here.
Been happening since the 11.0 Beta, I'm on 11.2 Beta 4 and its still not fixed. I reported it.
It happens on all apps, I record a video, to find out there was no sound. It doesn't always fail, but ~40% of the recordings had no sound when I tried to watch them.
Toggling the "microphone audio" option doesn't help at all.
Happens whether on mute or not.
I reboot whenever it happens, most of the time it doesn't help.

Alan D

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2017
California
Can you please rewrite this? Not sure I’m following correctly
Sure! To summarize, I record and narrate my screen recording with the mic on, then turn the mic off and do a screen recording of the playback of my recording. Here are the complete steps, in QA Tester Detail, that I use each time:
  1. Ensure you can record your iPhone screen. If you don't have that, I believe it's in Settings.
  2. Pull up your Control Center from the bottom of the screen.
  3. Press and hold the screen recording button on the Control Center to get recording options, on a separate screen. Turn mic ON.
  4. Press the record button.
  5. After the countdown, record your cool screens with your irresistible voice.
  6. To stop: Pull up your Control Center from the bottom of the screen.
  7. Press Record again to stop the recording.
  8. Recommended: view your video in Photos to make sure it's good.
  9. Leave your video in Photos, rewound and ready to play.
  10. Pull up your Control Center from the bottom of the screen again.
  11. Press and hold the screen recording button on the Control Center to get recording options. Turn mic OFF.
  12. Press the record button.
  13. After the countdown, switch over to Photos and play your screen recording to the end.
  14. Once playback completes, stop: Pull up your Control Center from the bottom of the screen.
  15. Press Record again to stop the recording.
  16. Find the new recording in Photos, and trim the useless bits off the start and end. It will save as a new clip.
Your completed, edited recording will be the very newest one in your Photos collection. Throw away the other copies you made along the way.

I have not had the problem of missing narration when Mic is on. However these specific steps have worked reliably for Facebook uploads, which is where I originally found the problem of dropping audio. Latest example is here:

I've tried to link over to FB but the forum won't let me. If curious, find @lowfivestudio on Facebook!

3DFitness

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2017
Okay, I think I got it. After you record a screen video with voiceover, you can turn mic recording off again, record your screen again, and play your video with voiceover from your photo collection. It will re-record the playback of the video, and encode your voiceover properly this time.

I left both posts with and without audio on my Facebook company page (@lowfivestudio) if you're curious, and if you can tolerate my voice! (Posts dated 3 Nov 2017)
[doublepost=1512224244][/doublepost]Not sure who dropped the ball on this at Apple, but thanks for figuring out a work around.

Reactions: Alan D

Ggmp

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2017
Not completely true I also have problems with sound but u don’t need mic. I turn off mic if I’m watching video or playing game and I turn my sound off. It records sound from applications but if there is any noise around u(even with mic turned off) it will interfere and the video will become mute at the time the noise stated (you can use headphones to listen to it while recording but any noise around will still interfere) voice recording while screen recording will work but if a another noise is made by something then it will mute at that time...sooo just make sure ur not with noisy people

edulistas2007

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2017
Hello, Thanks for your tip ... i've discovered another alternative and would like to share with all ....

1) Download Handbreak, open source, FREE, BEST converter - https://handbrake.fr/
2) When converting, select AUDIO and delete the Track 0 ( default ) and select Track 1 ( where the audio is saved ).
3) The converted video now has audio included normally.

This is better for longer videos, where you can convert downsizing and solving the problem without need to record again by iphohe ...

Cheers.
Edu

Sure! To summarize, I record and narrate my screen recording with the mic on, then turn the mic off and do a screen recording of the playback of my recording. Here are the complete steps, in QA Tester Detail, that I use each time:
  1. Ensure you can record your iPhone screen. If you don't have that, I believe it's in Settings.
  3. Press and hold the screen recording button on the Control Center to get recording options, on a separate screen. Turn mic ON.
  11. Press and hold the screen recording button on the Control Center to get recording options. Turn mic OFF.
  13. After the countdown, switch over to Photos and play your screen recording to the end.
  14. Once playback completes, stop: Pull up your Control Center from the bottom of the screen.
  16. Find the new recording in Photos, and trim the useless bits off the start and end. It will save as a new clip.
Your completed, edited recording will be the very newest one in your Photos collection. Throw away the other copies you made along the way.

I have not had the problem of missing narration when Mic is on. However these specific steps have worked reliably for Facebook uploads, which is where I originally found the problem of dropping audio. Latest example is here:

I've tried to link over to FB but the forum won't let me. If curious, find @lowfivestudio on Facebook!

OutSpoken

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
UK
Just tried to share a screen recording to whatsapp and im experiencing the same mute issue, even the workaround suggested above didnt work! Wth is going on? iOS 11.2.2 iPhone X

ZValueman

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2018
Long Beach, California USA
Hello, Thanks for your tip ... i've discovered another alternative and would like to share with all ....

1) Download Handbreak, open source, FREE, BEST converter - https://handbrake.fr/
2) When converting, select AUDIO and delete the Track 0 ( default ) and select Track 1 ( where the audio is saved ).
3) The converted video now has audio included normally.

This is better for longer videos, where you can convert downsizing and solving the problem without need to record again by iphohe ...

Cheers.
Edu
[doublepost=1518531291][/doublepost]Just to clarify, please. This is only a workaround and we are NOT supposed to have to go through this 2-step process, is that right? It seems so strange that my voice and the sound effects are fine in the Photos app, but when uploaded I have to sort of record and record again to follow your procedure.

Reactions: ChristianJean

ZValueman

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2018
Yes, it's a workaround!
Well I’m very appreciative that you found it and explained it so well. I have been tearing my hair out because I didn’t know what I was doing wrong, and I’m very new to creating videos, and I kept losing the sound. Now I have successfully and happily created one with the sound working perfectly, using your technique.

It sure makes me wonder what kind of quality assurance testing they did that they have not picked up on this bug and have not squashed yet.

Alan D

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2017
California
Heh yeah. If I recall correctly I could upload correctly to YouTube but the Facebook upload lost audio, so it could be a problem with how the FB upload plugin specifically integrates. As a better man said, "Complex systems fail in complex ways."

ZValueman

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2018
No I was never using Facebook. My videos were intended for YouTube. The audio was lost every time I used iMovie. I could watch and listen in photo, but when I wanted to edit, and I loaded into iMovie, the video was lost.

Jason B

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2010
I don't have iphone for screen recordings in control center? How do I get it to work? Iphone 6 on latest 11.2.5

Jordy227

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2018

I think i found a quicker work around and a bit more about what's going on here. So I was trying your advise because when I sent the video to my computer it had no audio. So I was playing around with it and realised when I crop the original screen recording (on iphone) and "save as new clip" it actually saves as a .MOV file where as the original was saved as a .mp4. For some reason that let it have audio on my computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.