Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ukagr

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2017
I think i found a quicker work around and a bit more about what's going on here. So I was trying your advise because when I sent the video to my computer it had no audio. So I was playing around with it and realised when I crop the original screen recording (on iphone) and "save as new clip" it actually saves as a .MOV file where as the original was saved as a .mp4. For some reason that let it have audio on my computer.

I couldn't get that method to consistently work. I'm using first gen iPad Pro 12.9" running iOS 11.3 beta

I have been dealing with this issue since the the first iOS 11 beta. My work flow requires uploading screen recordings to youtube for educational videos. The video plays fine on the iPad but when uploaded, the sound is lost. So I chalked it up to a youtube issue. This is not a youtube issue, take your screen recording and open it up in iMovie, the sound is gone there as well.

So that tells me this it is an apple issue, the screen recordings don't work properly in first party apps.

From what I gathered on various forums, there are two audio "channels" in the recording and when you send out the video to someone or upload, the player on the other end only plays one of the channels, which is usually silence.

The only consistent way I found to work, besides the method mentioned above about recording the recording, is to use an app called "Splice" its free and has some tie in with gopro

Use the app to create a project, pick your screen recording, skip all the fancy edits, turn off the ending slide, and then transcode the video to the resolution of your choice and save back to the device. I have confirmed that the audio is now present in all my youtube uploads.

Why has this bug gone on this long? Especially with the new push into education. I submit this bug every time a new beta comes out. I see that the 11.4 beta is available. I'm updating now and will report back if this is fixed or not in 11.4.

Edit: Audio bug is still in iOS Beta 11.4

Last edited:

ChristianJean

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2018
I just got off of the chat with Apple Support. They have no solution. Mine did not work in any non-apple applications. Works with imessage and to save on my phone under camera. That is it. I am really frustrated. Did someone just do the video and then voice over in imovie? I am trying to create a training tool. Maybe I should just use a 3rd party tool. Sad face.

Ukagr

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2017
I just got off of the chat with Apple Support. They have no solution. Mine did not work in any non-apple applications. Works with imessage and to save on my phone under camera. That is it. I am really frustrated. Did someone just do the video and then voice over in imovie? I am trying to create a training tool. Maybe I should just use a 3rd party tool. Sad face.

Yeah it is frustrating! This is one of the things that kills the “it just works” mantra.

I would suggest using the splice app. It is a workaround that works for me. It add a few minutes to my workflow but it works.

I found the suggestion to use it here.
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8076041

charmedlife

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2014
I think i found a quicker work around and a bit more about what's going on here. So I was trying your advise because when I sent the video to my computer it had no audio. So I was playing around with it and realised when I crop the original screen recording (on iphone) and "save as new clip" it actually saves as a .MOV file where as the original was saved as a .mp4. For some reason that let it have audio on my computer.

This worked with me - at least the one time I tried it. I am using the project manager app "Trello" quite a bit. So, I made a brief test video out of curiosity and uploaded it through the phone to the Trello app, chose the board, list and card and it uploaded fast and played swimmingly in the Trello app.

Jdee29

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2018
Okay, I think I got it. After you record a screen video with voiceover, you can turn mic recording off again, record your screen again, and play your video with voiceover from your photo collection. It will re-record the playback of the video, and encode your voiceover properly this time.

I left both posts with and without audio on my Facebook company page (@lowfivestudio) if you're curious, and if you can tolerate my voice! (Posts dated 3 Nov 2017)

Armans84

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2018
Hi guys, I'll try to explain myself as good as possible because you know, non-native English-speaker.

Yesterday, I wanted to record my iPhone-screen because I saw a funny part in a video that I wanted to share with my friends. I recorded the Screen with audio (hit "Mic on") and cut the part, that I wanted to show.

Now it gets funny - when sending this part my friend doesn't seem to have sound on the clip - it's muted. I uploaded it to Dropbox, sent the link: mute. I sent it to Gmail, downloaded it to my Mac: sound. I sent the MacBook-clip, uploaded it to Dropbox: mute.

Is there any protection, that I'm missing? I couldn't find anything in the internet, so I was wondering, if I did something wrong. I didn't convert it yet, so this could be something I'll have to check later.

Thanks for the replies!

Hello, i have the same problem
I explain it :
When i record a screen video with my iphone 5s, the video has sound when i play it in camera roll.
But when i send it through telegram/whatsapp to a friend, there is no sound anymore! Which is totally strange!

pgfracing

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2018
This is another workaround and you don't have to download and works every time.

Last edited:

jeffreyB57

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2018
Hi guys, I'll try to explain myself as good as possible because you know, non-native English-speaker.

Yesterday, I wanted to record my iPhone-screen because I saw a funny part in a video that I wanted to share with my friends. I recorded the Screen with audio (hit "Mic on") and cut the part, that I wanted to show.

Now it gets funny - when sending this part my friend doesn't seem to have sound on the clip - it's muted. I uploaded it to Dropbox, sent the link: mute. I sent it to Gmail, downloaded it to my Mac: sound. I sent the MacBook-clip, uploaded it to Dropbox: mute.

Is there any protection, that I'm missing? I couldn't find anything in the internet, so I was wondering, if I did something wrong. I didn't convert it yet, so this could be something I'll have to check later.

Thanks for the replies!
[doublepost=1533675653][/doublepost]SOLUTION: Download the app named "Rotate & Flip" which saves new file versions of videos on your phone. I did not need to flip or rotate my screencast, but something about running it through this app and resaving it allowed me to post my screencast to Facebook while carrying over the audio.

Step 1: download "Rotate & Flip"
Step 2: open app and pick screencast as video to work on
Step 3: do nothing to the video and click "Export" in top right-hand corner
Step 4: make sure to click "Compatible with all devices" if prompted
Step 5: upload this version from your camera roll directly to social media

Pro Tip: go to settings on Facebook and ensure that "Upload HD" is the default setting for photo and video uploads. This will maintain more quality for both audio and video in your posts.

FalconSays

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2018
Las Vegas, NV

How to “save as new clip”? My imovie on iphone only shows ‘done’. I’m having the same audio mute issue although I did capture sound on screen record.
[doublepost=1534693950][/doublepost]
This is another workaround and you don't have to download and works every time.
Great explanation, but this doesn’t solve the issue when uploading directly from your iphone.
[doublepost=1534694272][/doublepost]
[doublepost=1533675653][/doublepost]SOLUTION: Download the app named "Rotate & Flip" which saves new file versions of videos on your phone. I did not need to flip or rotate my screencast, but something about running it through this app and resaving it allowed me to post my screencast to Facebook while carrying over the audio.

Step 1: download "Rotate & Flip"
Step 2: open app and pick screencast as video to work on
Step 3: do nothing to the video and click "Export" in top right-hand corner
Step 4: make sure to click "Compatible with all devices" if prompted
Step 5: upload this version from your camera roll directly to social media

Pro Tip: go to settings on Facebook and ensure that "Upload HD" is the default setting for photo and video uploads. This will maintain more quality for both audio and video in your posts.

This did not work on my phone, unfortunately. I’m still working through everyone’s suggestions until I find something that works.

WestTexasKen

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2018
Unfortunately, this process (screen record) creates two soundtracks. Soundtrack 0 has no sound. When uploaded to YouTube it seems YouTube is using that track for audio, which there is none, so no sound on the upload.
It is that extra sound track that causes issues. I take the video into Premiere, killed track 0, re-encoded as mp4 and all works correctly.
The re-recording of the screen recording, a workaround offered by others here, puts audio into track 0, thus the upload then has audio.
It seems the other solution is similar to what I tried, a simple editing of the video in any software, forcing a re-saving, creates audio tracks that are YouTube friendly.
This falls into the top tier annoying bug category. Very clumsy, very unnecessary, workarounds required, and is something that needs to be addressed in the software, IMHO.

Last edited:

Ukagr

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2017
A bit of an update and maybe someone can confirm this.

I am running iOS 12.2 beta on my 1st gen iPad Pro 12.9

It seems like the audio playback on the recording is working as it should for me after updating to the newest beta. I tried three separate recordings and the mic track was included on the video when played in the photos app, like it always did, it played in iMovie, which didn’t work before, and it played correctly when uploaded to YouTube.

I didn’t edit the screen recording videos in any way using any work around. Just uploaded the video to YouTube and it played fine.

I’m cautiously optimistic that this audio bug might be fixed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.