Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

megalaser

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 17, 2009
Hi, Voicemail transcription has stopped working for me, I am on AT&T using an IPHONE 7 PLUS - I upgraded to IOS 11 yesterday and since then the voicemails are not transcribing. I do see the list of messages so visual voicemail is working but they are not transcribing - thanks

nanogirl21

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
Midwest United States
Hi, Voicemail transcription has stopped working for me, I am on AT&T using an IPHONE 7 PLUS - I upgraded to IOS 11 yesterday and since then the voicemails are not transcribing. I do see the list of messages so visual voicemail is working but they are not transcribing - thanks

Someone needs to call and leave a NEW voicemial. After I played the NEW voicemail and restarted my phone the transcripts showed up for me. I am on Verizon though with a 7.

davistld01

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
Springfield, MO
I have done all that is prescribed here...many times, and still have no visual voicemail transcription.

I spent almost two hours at my local Verizon store with a rep (who...along with 4 others there HAD iOS11 & HAD visual voicemail) and on the phone with VZW tech support, and finally with Apple tech support. I left the store frustrated and angry, because nothing worked.

I came home and called the Apple tech ("Meagan") who hung on the phone with me as I did another complete clean install of iOS11 and tried to make things work, thinking maybe I had inherited a corrupt file in my OTA update originally.

After all that...still no visual voicemail!!!!! :mad:

So, Meagan asked me to wait 24-hours and call her back so that she and the other on-staff Apple tech geeks can ponder about the problem and record this as an issue.

Great.

In the meantime, I feel like I am the only guy who can't seem to get a feature of my phone that I counted on the help me scan quickly through the 50-60 voicemails I get a day. I'm very, very disappointed to say the very least. I have always counted on Apple and have never had one of the weird "glitches" I read about until now. Ugh! :(

Reactions: megalaser

slears

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2015
Warrington,UK
Had this same issue last night on a 6s Plus. I restored the device using DFU mode and restored from a backup - working fine now.

megalaser

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 17, 2009
Thanks for your input, I have tried leaving a voicemail for myself and rebooting - no transcription, only the ID showing the voicemail exists . . . . It would be good to know if this is an I0S 11 issue, a carrier issue or something else . . . It used to work great, every voicemail perfect transcribed right away, now it's just gone . . .
[doublepost=1506006115][/doublepost]
Had this same issue last night on a 6s Plus. I restored the device using DFU mode and restored from a backup - working fine now.
Thanks, wiping and restoring my iPhone would be a little extreme for me right now :)
[doublepost=1506006204][/doublepost]
Someone needs to call and leave a NEW voicemial. After I played the NEW voicemail and restarted my phone the transcripts showed up for me. I am on Verizon though with a 7.
Thanks that didn't work for me unfortunately

slears

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2015
Warrington,UK
Thanks for your input, I have tried leaving a voicemail for myself and rebooting - no transcription, only the ID showing the voicemail exists . . . . It would be good to know if this is an I0S 11 issue, a carrier issue or something else . . . It used to work great, every voicemail perfect transcribed right away, now it's just gone . . .
[doublepost=1506006115][/doublepost]
Thanks, wiping and restoring my iPhone would be a little extreme for me right now :)

haha, I know what you mean but I was doing it anyway for other reasons.

It was related to a carrier setting update I noticed on the EE network as it only happened after I applied that.

xerxers

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2008
Have you gone into Siri and made sure that the voices are american speaking ie not British or anything else. I also had this issue and once I changed my voices back to US transcription started working. That may well have been coincidental. This was on my iPhone 7+ but now have the X and it works everytime.

Have you gone into Siri and made sure that the voices are american speaking ie not British or anything else. I also had this issue and once I changed my voices back to US transcription started working. That may well have been coincidental. This was on my iPhone 7+ but now have the X and it works everytime.
Thank you so much! After turning on SIRI it worked for me! I appreciate you?l!

xerxers

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2008
Yes now it’s showing! I wonder why Siri has to be connected!
I suspect to may have to do with voice recognition. I used to have the British voices on siri and transcription would not work and then I changed them back to US voices and everything worked okay. This is a presumption on my part. But at the end of the day hey if it works that is a good thing.

ericinboston

macrumors 68010
Jan 13, 2008

I have the same problem. I have an iPhone 7 Plus that was on iOS 10.x for 10+ months...in March 2018 I bought an Apple Watch 3 and I was forced to upgrade the iPhone 7 to iOS 11.x to work with the watch. Instantly, transcriptions disappeared and I now have a slew of other problems that I won't go off-topic about. I upgraded to 11.3 yesterday and that still does not help. My only option is to restore the phone back to a clean iOS 11.x but that deletes all my text messages, photos, and obviously other settings.

Does anyone have an iPhone 8 Plus with ATT with iOS 11.x and has transcriptions working?

I am on ATT and live in New England.

Any updates on this topic?

Last edited:

ericinboston

macrumors 68010
Jan 13, 2008
A few people here suggested to go into Siri and confirm that the voice is set to English...I cannot find this feature/setup anywhere on iOS 11.3 on my iPhone 7+.

I do not, and have never used, Siri...currently "Listen for Hey Siri" and "Press Home for Siri" are disabled in Settings>Siri & Search

Can someone give me the exact steps?

Thanks!

jetsam

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2015
If Siri is disabled, you do not have an option to set the voice to English (or any other language).

ericinboston

macrumors 68010
Jan 13, 2008
If Siri is disabled, you do not have an option to set the voice to English (or any other language).

Well, define "disabled." In the long-ago past, Siri had a simple on/off switch. Now it appears to be controlled more granularly. "Suggestions in Search" and "Suggestions in Look Up" are currently enabled...while the other 2 items I mentioned in my previous post are disabled. Those 2 other ones are more about accessing Siri quicker/easier.

People here are saying they were able to change the voice from British to English...but where, exactly?

jetsam

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2015
"Well, define 'disabled.'"

If "Listen for Hey Siri" and "Press Home for Siri" are off then Siri is disabled, and you don't have a language option. Turn either one on, and the language option appears.

donawalt

Contributor
Sep 10, 2015
For what it's worth, I have had my Siri voice set to British, language to English (US) for a long time, and transcription has worked fine for me. So it seems you don't have to have voice set to English, it must be coincidental with another change...

Wirenut

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2016
After reading this thread I

Turned on Siri
Set the language from English to British and then back to English
Turned Siri back off

After that all my voicemails had the transcriptions back.

WirelessRep

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2018
I have done all that is prescribed here...many times, and still have no visual voicemail transcription.

I spent almost two hours at my local Verizon store with a rep (who...along with 4 others there HAD iOS11 & HAD visual voicemail) and on the phone with VZW tech support, and finally with Apple tech support. I left the store frustrated and angry, because nothing worked.

I came home and called the Apple tech ("Meagan") who hung on the phone with me as I did another complete clean install of iOS11 and tried to make things work, thinking maybe I had inherited a corrupt file in my OTA update originally.

After all that...still no visual voicemail!!!!! :mad:

So, Meagan asked me to wait 24-hours and call her back so that she and the other on-staff Apple tech geeks can ponder about the problem and record this as an issue.

Great.

In the meantime, I feel like I am the only guy who can't seem to get a feature of my phone that I counted on the help me scan quickly through the 50-60 voicemails I get a day. I'm very, very disappointed to say the very least. I have always counted on Apple and have never had one of the weird "glitches" I read about until now. Ugh! :(
[doublepost=1535577812][/doublepost]While I can understand the frustration that can cause as a tech rep, I have found a work around that has worked in the past with other customers that have had the same issue, check out this link and attempt this workaround: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8253536

Tinanak

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2019
California
For what it's worth, I have had my Siri voice set to British, language to English (US) for a long time, and transcription has worked fine for me. So it seems you don't have to have voice set to English, it must be coincidental with another change...
Sorry I’m late to the conversation, but as I was searching for a solution to my husband not getting voicemail transcription, I discovered that within Settings/Siri & Search, there is a setting for “Language” and a setting for “Siri Voice”. My husband had somehow set “Language” to “English (U.K.)”. Once I changed it to “English (United States)”, voicemail transcription appeared!!! Voila! I think whatever accent the “Siri Voice” speaks in doesn’t affect things. The “Language” setting definitely is key here, as it must be the language that Siri is “listening” for. Hope that helps!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.