Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

big

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2002
>but air conditioners and computers make a person happy on a hot afternoon

Canadians have AC? Here in South Alabama, you have to have the AC on HIGH, as well as a good box fan just for typing (least you work up a sweat)

>JAGUAR IS FREAKING FAST!!! FASTER THAN MAC OS 9....

I doubt on my 450 mhz G4, this machine was built for OS9 (even though its still supported)

>Jaguar is a huge step forward, but the speed boost is not going to transform your life

bummer, I guess you really need a machine built for OSX to really use it.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
I currently own a B/W G3 400 with a Maxtor 7200rpm drive along with the stock quiet 6gig. This is the noisiest Mac I have owned my last mac being an 8500 and a 7100 before that and many others.

I just checked the standing room noise from my seating position directly in front of the monitor the cpu sits the side of the desk on a shelf.

The noise level peaks at about 55db and consistently averages below 50db wich is the lower limit of my meter.

If anyone else can give me a standing db level for there listening position please post it here. I will do this test again with my new dual when I receive it.

Dr_Floyd

macrumors member
May 27, 2002
i havethe 867 model, it's fast and i can't hear any sound from it. it
s loud when it boots up. It seems to test the fans on start up

3rdpath

macrumors 68000
hey hoag,

i'll run an spl test on my QS dual tomorrow and post the results...IMO, its not that loud...certainly no louder than my old G3 with the external cheetahs.

i do think the new duals are louder from what i could hear in the store..and from what i've been reading.

btw, welcome...good to see some other unicornation names floating around here.:)

Mephisto

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2002
I have the new dual 1Ghz and I dont find it to be terribly loud. I mean, it does make its existence known, but it's not as bad as people here make it sound.

Hoagie

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2002
Calif.
Originally posted by 3rdpath
i'll run an spl test on my QS dual tomorrow and post the results...IMO, its not that loud...certainly no louder than my old G3 with the external cheetahs.
SNIP
btw, welcome...good to see some other unicornation names floating around here.:) [/B]

Hey 3rdpath,

Metering your QS noise would be cool. Maybe post some info on metering distance, liveness of the room, etc. so if others do a similar test (hint hint) we can make plausible comparisons.

Who are you in unicornia?

ktlx

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2002
Re: Re: Noise Reduction - New PowerMac G4 line

Originally posted by Chryx
(does the heatsink get even remotely warm?)

The heat sink in my new dual 1Ghz gets quite hot. I am not convinced there is a fan directly blowing on it all of the time. There is a large fan that sounds like it kicks on for short times here and there and is very loud. Other than that it is not bad and I think the only fans running all of the time are on the power supply.

Mephisto

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2002
Okay, after sleeping next to this computer...Its much louder than my old G3 400.
My old B/W wouldn't be this loud, unless my external CD-RWs were on and running too : /

On another note, I also stayed up for hours, trying to turn off my monitor...only to realize that I can't : /

I like to download overnight, i guess ill just have to set my monitor to dim within 5mins or sumthin.

But back to the G4...I can understand how this would be too loud to use in audio recording. I'd have to use another computer to record, then work on the audio on the G4.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
For all those trying to use the new computer or any computer for audio recording and trying to eliminate noise.

Here's the problem as I see it if you try to hide the thing either in a closet which might not offer much noise control or in box or container of some sort you could get air circulation problems leading to the overheating of the computer.

Has anyone tried putting they're computer inside a smaller refrigerator or lay down freezer.

This seems to me to be a better answer then peltier cooling and the like and also should completely muffle any noise coming from the computer.

The best option would probably be a lay down freezer I've seen models that make no noise at all.

gopher

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2002
Maryland, USA
There are some good desks that have holes for cables and access to backs of towers out there with a door that will close so you don't have to hear the tower inside. Shop around...or build it yourself using wood from your nearby hardware store.

robpage

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2002
Culver City
Fan noise

Hey MacBandit:

Make sure when you run your test you do it when the big fan kicks in. As I've mentioned before, when the new G4 is just sitting there running it's not much louder than the older G4's, certainly usable. It's when that huge honkin fan kicks in. And if you've got hot mics, singers and clients in the room, then you've got a problem.

BTW, because people seem to be interested in solutions others have come up with, there happens to be a built-in cabinet near my workstation where I've stashed both my Mac :) and my PC :-(. I drilled a 6" hole through the back to the outside of my guest house and mounted a pro cooling fan. On the exterior of the house is a dryer vent. I got a Dr. Bott extension for my Cinema display. Heaven. But I promise all of you, the noise of the big fan in that new Mac blasted even through that.

Don't worry, they'll have this, and the other little problems I experienced fixed by rev. c.

Hoagie

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2002
Calif.
Don't put it in a fridge or freezer

MacBandit,

Putting your Mac in a fridge or freezer is a double plus ungood idea, because you'll get condensation.

As I read reports (here and elsewhere, e.g. dealmac forums) on the noise of new dual gigs, I get the clear sense that an iso box would be mandatory for audio recording. (Iso as in isolation, not iso cream).

Just to be clear, do the "old" dual gigs NOT have this problem of the jet engine/vacuum cleaner/leaf blower switching on periodically?

-- Hoag

robpage

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2002
Culver City
"jet engine/vacuum cleaner/leaf blower switching on periodically?"

Great. No the earlier G4's do not have this problem. In fact, no Mac to my knowledge has ever had a fan like this.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Re: Don't put it in a fridge or freezer

Originally posted by Hoagie
MacBandit,

Putting your Mac in a fridge or freezer is a double plus ungood idea, because you'll get condensation.

As I read reports (here and elsewhere, e.g. dealmac forums) on the noise of new dual gigs, I get the clear sense that an iso box would be mandatory for audio recording. (Iso as in isolation, not iso cream).

Just to be clear, do the "old" dual gigs NOT have this problem of the jet engine/vacuum cleaner/leaf blower switching on periodically?

-- Hoag

Condensation becomes a problem only with a)high humidity or b) a big temperature differential I would definitely not use the fridge at very low temps say around 70-75f that should be enoungh for any overclocker and at the same time keep it quiet. On the other hand if you're not overclocking it or anything else stupid you might be able to use the fridge with out plugging it in just as a sound proof box. You could drill a few holes in it and put in a small fan to aid in circulation. You could even put the whole unit fridge and all in a closet.

crazymacfan

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2002
pittsburgh
HAS ANYONE EVER TRIED WATER COOLING WITH A MAC... i did it to a friends pc.. and man it sounds like a fountain.. its a peacefull sound..

u could always hit up one of them pc tweaker sites for quiet fans and water cooling stuff...
I think im going to buy a dual ghz and change the fans.. im sure it'll be much quieter.

3rdpath

macrumors 68000
ok, here's the db stats on the QS dual 1ghz

first, my mixing room is ultra quiet...with the A/C on its still below -30 db...it has some acoustic treatment near my workstation for early reflections and all of my guitars hanging as diffusers on the rear wall-with upper and lower corner bass traps. its carpeted also...so its pretty well balanced. not too dead and not too live. the computer sits on the floor under the desk with my monitors.

i fired up the mac and loaded a performer song with lots of audio( 30 tracks), plug-ins( 60, yes 60!) and reason 2.0...wanted to make sure the puppy was working hard.

at 2ft, floor level it was peaking at -40db.

at 3ft, floor level it peaked at -44db...so some of the room/table reflections were showing up.

at 3ft, sitting/mixing position the peak was -36db.

at -36db it was very tolerable and easy to mask with low levels of music(-64db). since i mix at around -84db, i won't ever know its running.

as far as recording vocals in the same room...i wouldn't hesitate for rock or any other "full" mix situations. i wouldn't throw up a u47 or c12 and do vocals for a ballad...you'd hear the white noise of the fan for sure-though it doesn't sound like a jet or leaf blower. so a raxxess or kk audio iso box would be needed( $600-1200...).

btw, my G3 with the external glyph cheetahs peaked at -44db at the listening position...which is considerably louder( every -10db increase in sound is perceived as being TWICE as loud...) not to mention those drives have a high pitched whine to them. the internal ata's on the dualie are super quiet...goodbye cheetahs.

now we just need to get the specs on the new duals to compare.

hope this helps.

Hoagie

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2002
Calif.
Re: ok, here's the db stats on the QS dual 1ghz

SNIP
at 2ft, floor level it was peaking at -40db.
at 3ft, floor level it peaked at -44db...so some of the room/table reflections were showing up.
at 3ft, sitting/mixing position the peak was -36db.
at -36db it was very tolerable and easy to mask with low levels of music(-64db). since i mix at around -84db, i won't ever know its running.
SNIP
now we just need to get the specs on the new duals to compare.

3rdpath,
Excellent work. I could work with that amount of noise – I suspect it's comparable to my franken beige G4. But a homemade iso box seems in the cards...

I urge you to get in touch with a person on unicorn and daw-mac who has done an SPL test with a NEW dual gig. He tested from an inch away from the Mac's rear, and found about 55 dBA; 'C' weighted, it's around 62 dB. Note: these numbers are for "idling". before the extra fan even kicks in.

If the two of you could match methodology -- each taking measurements the way the other did -- then we'd have a nice couple of data points to compare. Your method is more realistic, while his reduces "the room" in the equation. His first name is Ray, last name starts with C. (trying to respect privacy here.) He knows I'm interested in this.

BTW (again) who are you in Unicornia? I recall your discussion of dryer vent work awhile back, but....

-- Hoag

DannyZR2

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2001
Texas
Re: ok, here's the db stats on the QS dual 1ghz

( every -10db increase in sound is perceived as being TWICE as loud...)

I thought every 3db increase was actually twice the volume. (3db to 6db to 9db to 12db -- all double volume increases.) Is this not right?

3rdpath

macrumors 68000
Re: Re: ok, here's the db stats on the QS dual 1ghz

Originally posted by DannyZR2

I thought every 3db increase was actually twice the volume. (3db to 6db to 9db to 12db -- all double volume increases.) Is this not right?

nope, if you double the wattage of an amp you increase the level by-3db,

but for a perceived doubling of volume, you need a -10db increase.

all that stuff is easy to confuse-i had to check my references to make sure i wasn't mistaken...old age:D

hoag, i have the same name at UBB...i saw the dryer vent post but that wasn't me. i replied to your post about finding an out of cali QS dual 1ghz( i got mine from maczone before they sold out...)i would like to compare the systems...measuring from the back of the computer at 1", i agree, isn't realistic.

and a home-made iso box could be done for approx$150. maybe use a 19" stereo cabinet that has a glass front door, line it with acoustic foam and pop a dual rack-mount fan on the back for ventilation( sweetwater has them for $75).

SPG

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2001
In the shadow of the Space Needle.
You should hear the ruckus and feel the heat of my studio this week. The air conditioning has turned to a trickle and the HVAC guy can't track down why it's isolated to my end of the building. So, a big window that doesn't open, two towers, two big old raids with four drives each, two beta decks, three other decks, five monitors, and now two box fans so that I don't pass out from the heat...sweet! Loud and hot.

3rdpath

macrumors 68000
i feel your pain

man, i've been in non-a/c hell...arrgghh. maybe you can rent a penguino portable while they suss out the problem. they're loud but its better than sweating all day. i also noticed my equipment fritzed-out after a few hours in the heat...and so did i:eek:

3rdpath

macrumors 68000
btw, a friend of mine had a similar problem in a multi-officed building. seems one office got to the duct work (drop ceilings make it easily accessible) and dammed up the duct to send a large portion of the air mainly to their office register.

no one could figure out what was the problem...so the super did a "goodwill" visit to all of the offices during the hottest part of the day to see who's office was overly chilled....of course, they had " no idea" how something like that could have happened....

;)

have you noticed anyone else in the building wearing sweaters?:D

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
Maybe you shouldalways keep music playing, just to drown out the noise. It couldnt be that loud. Im sure disturbed or slipknot should do the trick :d.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.