Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rencar12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2019
UK
Bought a brand new Nomad Base Station Apple Watch Edition here in the UK, from one of their official retail partners.

Very pleased with it, as it works well.

However, it charges fine, but on my base station, the three orange LED's on the front never turn white, despite the devices being fully charged.

I've noticed that when I plug the power cable in, all three front LED's show orange briefly as the device is powered up. On a Youtube video I saw, when they did the same, they lit up white?

Does anyone else notice this and is it a fault?

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Bought a brand new Nomad Base Station Apple Watch Edition here in the UK, from one of their official retail partners.

Very pleased with it, as it works well.

However, it charges fine, but on my base station, the three orange LED's on the front never turn white, despite the devices being fully charged.

I've noticed that when I plug the power cable in, all three front LED's show orange briefly as the device is powered up. On a Youtube video I saw, when they did the same, they lit up white?

Does anyone else notice this and is it a fault?

Mine doesn’t turn turn white either for what it’s worth

rencar12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2019
UK
Thanks for your reply.

I did hear back from Nomad's official support:

"Thanks so much for reaching out and I apologize for my delayed help. Our product team has noticed this same shortcoming in our latest production of the Base Station Apple Watch Editions. It seems that there was a firmware update that will not allow the LEDs to change from orange to white any longer. This has been a project in the works for them, and they are working hard to improve the next firmware update. Overall, the LEDs will light up when the device is on the pad, but will not change to indicate when the device is fully charged.

I apologize again for this shortcoming on behalf of our whole team. Please let me know if this brings up any additional questions or concerns. I am happy to help!"

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Thanks for your reply.

I did hear back from Nomad's official support:

"Thanks so much for reaching out and I apologize for my delayed help. Our product team has noticed this same shortcoming in our latest production of the Base Station Apple Watch Editions. It seems that there was a firmware update that will not allow the LEDs to change from orange to white any longer. This has been a project in the works for them, and they are working hard to improve the next firmware update. Overall, the LEDs will light up when the device is on the pad, but will not change to indicate when the device is fully charged.

I apologize again for this shortcoming on behalf of our whole team. Please let me know if this brings up any additional questions or concerns. I am happy to help!"
Not a deal breaker but would be nice to know...guessing it’s not like an over the air update would work either

twowinns

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2010
McKinney, Texas
My new base station worked great for a few days, but now won’t charge my phone. My watch and AirPods still charge, but not the phone. I’ve even taken the phone out of the case, and still not charging. Does the phone battery have to be a certain %, before the Nomad will charge it. The phone charged just fine on it the first few days.

Do y’all think the latest iOS update is the culprit?

Last edited:

BoricuaHec01

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
Chicago, IL
Mine lights up white after fully charged, had it for about a year now. Are you letting it charge past 100% or are you taking it out right after? It doesn’t turn white as soon as it hits 100%.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
The Nomad Base Station looks good but the only thing I don’t like is that it doesn’t allow the phone to stand upright so you can see the display unless you pick up the phone or are sitting next to it. I prefer the design of the Belkin Boost Up Wireless Dock although it only charged the phone and watch. There is a USB A connection though so I guess you could use that to charge a third device.

ILowry82

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2014
The Nomad Base Station looks good but the only thing I don’t like is that it doesn’t allow the phone to stand upright so you can see the display unless you pick up the phone or are sitting next to it. I prefer the design of the Belkin Boost Up Wireless Dock although it only charged the phone and watch. There is a USB A connection though so I guess you could use that to charge a third device.
It charges 3 devices
4AC5D711-FF55-4C81-AAFB-E55880B37784.jpeg

Reactions: Mr.C

Uln4321

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2011
I’ve been having a problem with my phone not charging all night on it. Seems like it‘ll stop after a couple hours at 80% and never go beyond that sometimes. Might try tuning off optimized battery charging setting.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
I’ve been having a problem with my phone not charging all night on it. Seems like it‘ll stop after a couple hours at 80% and never go beyond that sometimes. Might try tuning off optimized battery charging setting.

Have you tried charging the phone by plugging it into a wall charger ? Does the same thing happen ?

Uln4321

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2011
Have you tried charging the phone by plugging it into a wall charger ? Does the same thing happen ?

Nope charges normally on wall and other wireless chargers. Last night it did go to 100 with that setting off. Will have to continue testing.

Reactions: Mr.C

EdMan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2011
Michigan
Mine goes back and forth. I've had it since May or so. Sometimes it turns white other times it stays orange. Sometimes unplugging it helps. But then it will go back to staying orange even when fully charged.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Mine lights up white after fully charged, had it for about a year now. Are you letting it charge past 100% or are you taking it out right after? It doesn’t turn white as soon as it hits 100%.
mine never turns white and I put it on charge when I go to bed at 11pm and get up at 7am. does seem odd as the air pods are fully charged and that won't turn white either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.