Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Telesmurfen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2016
I’m currently looking at the Nomad rugged case (not the active version).. how does this compare to the official Apple leather cases? Is it much heavier, bulkier, etc? I love my Apple leather cases, but I also really love the look of the brown Nomad rugged case. But, no store near me has it in stock, so I can’t check it out in real life. As I’m using the iPhone 11 pro Max, I really don’t want a big, heavy case. Anyone?

bobsamm

Suspended
Oct 6, 2019
I’m currently looking at the Nomad rugged case (not the active version).. how does this compare to the official Apple leather cases? Is it much heavier, bulkier, etc? I love my Apple leather cases, but I also really love the look of the brown Nomad rugged case. But, no store near me has it in stock, so I can’t check it out in real life. As I’m using the iPhone 11 pro Max, I really don’t want a big, heavy case. Anyone?

Nomad rugged weighs 35g, i don't have a Apple anymore to check. It's a bit thicker but drop proof and covers the bottom, and leather is very nice. I have black rugged my wife the brown xr folio it marks/scratches and goes darker if thats your think and ages well, i prefer the black myself, here's some photos of the back of her's.

Attachments

• 056AEE05-AD28-4E77-A5EE-8B94E93E535C_1_201_a.jpeg
    056AEE05-AD28-4E77-A5EE-8B94E93E535C_1_201_a.jpeg
    549.8 KB · Views: 1,410
  • 0D98C0AC-A15A-4343-ADAD-6DE9C761C26D.jpeg
    0D98C0AC-A15A-4343-ADAD-6DE9C761C26D.jpeg
    452.4 KB · Views: 2,553

Telesmurfen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2016
Thank you for the reply - with pictures and everything. So, as you have both colors in your house... which one looks the best? I would imagine that an all-black case would also look good on my space grey phone. If anyone else has some feedback to my questions, I’d love to hear some more expreiences too :)

bobsamm

Suspended
Oct 6, 2019
Thank you for the reply - with pictures and everything. So, as you have both colors in your house... which one looks the best? I would imagine that an all-black case would also look good on my space grey phone. If anyone else has some feedback to my questions, I’d love to hear some more expreiences too :)

My black is only a day old so hasn't changed at all, i have SG pro. iPad photos.

Attachments

• B014D159-4C7B-478F-8EFF-2E19F8D4E73E.jpeg
    B014D159-4C7B-478F-8EFF-2E19F8D4E73E.jpeg
    655.9 KB · Views: 1,770
  • 304B1919-07CA-4AE3-8D12-18E28E080363.jpeg
    304B1919-07CA-4AE3-8D12-18E28E080363.jpeg
    633.6 KB · Views: 1,587
  • 3D6060A1-70D6-47EE-8CA3-018A7486E384.jpeg
    3D6060A1-70D6-47EE-8CA3-018A7486E384.jpeg
    699.6 KB · Views: 1,741

Telesmurfen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2016
Wow! Thank you!! I really appreciate you taking the time to do this! It seems like a little bit thicker than the Apple cases, when I look at the camera cutout, but not a whole lot. Now, the color... hard decision..

Reactions: bobsamm

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Wow! Thank you!! I really appreciate you taking the time to do this! It seems like a little bit thicker than the Apple cases, when I look at the camera cutout, but not a whole lot. Now, the color... hard decision..

I have the Normad Rugged on my 11 (No Pro.) I love the case. However, I did decide to go with a screen protector as the edge is not as raised as I've been used to( LONG-time Speck user) up to this point. So far so good. I've not noticed the screen protector picking up any scratches. I have had one drop from around 2.5'. Landed on an edge corner and flipped on its back. Small scratch in the leather, but it has somewhat worn in over the past few weeks. The phone is in my front pocket 85% of the time. I will carry it in my coat when wearing one.

This is my first Leather Case. I decided to splurge even though I purchased a Base 11. I do not like the open bottom design on Apple's cases. Some absolutely love that design however.

I had a Mous Leather Contour as well, but returned it as I experienced the loose fit at the bottom many have mentioned.

In summation, IMO the Nomad Rugged is simply the highest quality Leather Case out there, and is worth the cost. ;)

bamorris2

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2014
I have the Normad Rugged on my 11 (No Pro.) I love the case. However, I did decide to go with a screen protector as the edge is not as raised as I've been used to( LONG-time Speck user) up to this point. So far so good. I've not noticed the screen protector picking up any scratches. I have had one drop from around 2.5'. Landed on an edge corner and flipped on its back. Small scratch in the leather, but it has somewhat worn in over the past few weeks. The phone is in my front pocket 85% of the time. I will carry it in my coat when wearing one.

This is my first Leather Case. I decided to splurge even though I purchased a Base 11. I do not like the open bottom design on Apple's cases. Some absolutely love that design however.

I had a Mous Leather Contour as well, but returned it as I experienced the loose fit at the bottom many have mentioned.

In summation, IMO the Nomad Rugged is simply the highest quality Leather Case out there, and is worth the cost. ;)

I’ve heard that the buttons on the Nomad are a bit hard/firm. Do you concur?

WNYX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2018
I can't give a review of either case for the current generation iPhones, but here are my thoughts on the cases for the XS Max:

- The Nomad added significant weight and height/width to the phone than the Apple case.
- The leather on the Nomad felt and smelled much, much better than the Apple case.
- The Nomad had buttons that were flush with the sides of the case, so they were harder to find. I had to constantly tilt my phone to see where the buttons were.
- Only the back of the Nomad is leather. The sides are a TPU, which helps with drops.
- The soft material on the inside of the Nomad felt more premium than the Apple case.

Although it seems like the Nomad has more pros than the Apple case, my vote is for the Apple case. I prefer cases that are slimmer, lighter, and have amazing button feedback.

Reactions: VaderRulez

VaderRulez

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2019
I can't give a review of either case for the current generation iPhones, but here are my thoughts on the cases for the XS Max:

- The Nomad added significant weight and height/width to the phone than the Apple case.
- The leather on the Nomad felt and smelled much, much better than the Apple case.
- The Nomad had buttons that were flush with the sides of the case, so they were harder to find. I had to constantly tilt my phone to see where the buttons were.
- Only the back of the Nomad is leather. The sides are a TPU, which helps with drops.
- The soft material on the inside of the Nomad felt more premium than the Apple case.

Although it seems like the Nomad has more pros than the Apple case, my vote is for the Apple case. I prefer cases that are slimmer, lighter, and have amazing button feedback.

Agreed on all points. Even though the Nomad is more protective, I would much rather have the Apple leather case over the Nomad sad to say.

bobsamm

Suspended
Oct 6, 2019
I ordered a black Mujjo with the sales, will see how it compares to both the nomads and the apple leather I've had, if no good i think i will be done with leather cases.

Macral

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2012
I have both the Nomad rugged leather case and the Apple leather case.
Agree with others that have pointed out the pro and cons.
I'm currently using the Nomad just because it gives me less worry about bumping the phone.
Might switch back to Apple leather case in few months.

I also have the Mujjo in black leather case with card slot.
While the color is definitely black, unlike Apple black which looks space gray to me, the Mujjo leather case buttons are really not tactile.

Attachments

• Nomad Front.jpeg
    Nomad Front.jpeg
    718 KB · Views: 1,070
  • Nomad Back.jpeg
    Nomad Back.jpeg
    833.1 KB · Views: 1,054
  • Apple Front.jpeg
    Apple Front.jpeg
    549.1 KB · Views: 1,034
  • Apple Back.jpeg
    Apple Back.jpeg
    586 KB · Views: 1,484
  • Mujjo Back.jpeg
    Mujjo Back.jpeg
    714 KB · Views: 1,088

bobsamm

Suspended
Oct 6, 2019
I have both the Nomad rugged leather case and the Apple leather case.
Agree with others that have pointed out the pro and cons.
I'm currently using the Nomad just because it gives me less worry about bumping the phone.
Might switch back to Apple leather case in few months.

I also have the Mujjo in black leather case with card slot.
While the color is definitely black, unlike Apple black which looks space gray to me, the Mujjo leather case buttons are really not tactile.

Damn re the Mujjo buttons, they have to better than the nomads? Have you tried pushing them out a bit from the inside? i have a 100 day return luckily, If they are that bad it will be going back.

Macral

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2012
Damn re the Mujjo buttons, they have to better than the nomads? Have you tried pushing them out a bit from the inside? i have a 100 day return luckily, If they are that bad it will be going back.

Indeed they are better than Nomads, but not by much.
I haven't used it for quite some time nor I pushed them out a bit from the inside, but I think over time it would be more tactile once broken in since its made from leather. The side button already felt better than day one.

Reactions: bobsamm

bobsamm

Suspended
Oct 6, 2019

Do you like apples leather or mujjo best, I had one years ago and remember it had better grip and a nice leather smell?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.