Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

magnificent desolation

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2019
Am currently running OS X 10.6.8 on 2008 white macbook 4.1, which I'm still fond of. It works; it's still reliable. But I must get a new printer. And all the printers seem to want OS 10.10.x as a bare minimum.

Apple had initially told me I could get to Yosemite 10.10 from the App store once I purchased 10.6.8; but this proved to be incorrect.

So one question I have is if I buy a printer, will it outright refuse to function without yosemite? Or will it perhaps basically function but not luxuriously?

With regard to 10.10, I'm guessing this mac could handle it though it's likely unsupported. But there seems to be an awful lot of info about getting OS on to unsupported macs and I could try to muddle through it.

But getting it is something else. Requesting it here earned me a censorious deletion/warning from the moderator, though I didn't think it violated the spirit of licensing if no monies were exchanged. Alas.

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
Am currently running OS X 10.6.8 on 2008 white macbook 4.1, which I'm still fond of. It works; it's still reliable. But I must get a new printer. And all the printers seem to want OS 10.10.x as a bare minimum.

Apple had initially told me I could get to Yosemite 10.10 from the App store once I purchased 10.6.8; but this proved to be incorrect.

So one question I have is if I buy a printer, will it outright refuse to function without yosemite? Or will it perhaps basically function but not luxuriously?

With regard to 10.10, I'm guessing this mac could handle it though it's likely unsupported. But there seems to be an awful lot of info about getting OS on to unsupported macs and I could try to muddle through it.

But getting it is something else. Requesting it here earned me a censorious deletion/warning from the moderator, though I didn't think it violated the spirit of licensing if no monies were exchanged. Alas.
It requires a lot of effort and patience but you can install Yosemite in a MB4.1.
Be prepared however to many failures with reasons you might not understand.
MacPostFactor was the tool I used and I am writing this from my MB4.1 running the last issue of Yosemite.
Since it is unpredictable in different ways and I do not have a Recovery Partition I keep clones in external USB drives.
From time to time I must rebuild it with Disk Warrior, run from an external bootable clone or USB pen drive.
Why it becomes from time to time corrupted and struggles to boot I don’t know.
But nevertheless my Yosemite allows to run applications not accepting the original Lion the MB4.1 had when I bought it second hand.
As to your question how printers will react, it will be shown only when you decide what printer you use and give the printing command.
I do not believe there is an universal behavior pattern to all the countless brands and models of printers if used with 10.6.8 as your OS.
Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.