Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SoupyFlow

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 9, 2008
San Francisco, CA
Hi All!

I recently updated my MacBook Pro to macOS Sierra and Notes is crashing immediately after I launch it.

I have tried multiple reboots etc.

Has anyone else had this issue and/or know a fix for it?

Thanks!

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Hi All!

I recently updated my MacBook Pro to macOS Sierra and Notes is crashing immediately after I launch it.

Thanks!

It's working fine for me on my mid-2011 13" MBA.

BL.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
That's good that you tried, though. Now what happens if you restart the machine?

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Sorry, you said that in the question. Can you be a bit more specific in describing the crash. Does the Notes window open, then crash? If not that, what? Is there anything in your system log, or crash reporter window?

SoupyFlow

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 9, 2008
San Francisco, CA
Sorry, you said that in the question. Can you be a bit more specific in describing the crash. Does the Notes window open, then crash? If not that, what? Is there anything in your system log, or crash reporter window?

No problem, yeah basically the window will open for anywhere between 1-10 seconds and then just close. I get the crash reporter window prompt.

To be honest, it might be time for me to do a full wipe and reinstall of macOS, I received my MacBook Pro new almost two years ago and immediately migrated over a macOS install from an old MacBook Air from 2010. The MacBook Air had the latest version of macOS on it, but you know how that goes. :p

Here is some of the info inside of the report:

Crashed Thread: 4 Dispatch queue: NSManagedObjectContext 0x6080001d7f70

Exception Type: EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Application Specific Information:
*** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'CKException', reason: 'data can not be nil'
abort() called
terminating with uncaught exception of type CKException

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Those details are beyond my ability to figure out. But although I used to be a proponent of clean installs, the work to make it happen is something I don't like. I haven't done one in at least five years I think. The scattered small text files I might have in my Library don't bother me in the slightest. I did (this morning) rerun the Sierra installer on my Mac because it was acting weird. My first install was straight from the App Store on Tuesday evening. This morning I ran it from a bootable USB stick. Problem solved. You might try the same--rerunning the installer.

But you could try some more troubleshooting first. For example, what happens if you turn off Notes syncing in your iCloud preference pane. Does the app crash then? This will help narrow the problem to an app problem vs a syncing problem.

SoupyFlow

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 9, 2008
San Francisco, CA
Those details are beyond my ability to figure out. But although I used to be a proponent of clean installs, the work to make it happen is something I don't like. I haven't done one in at least five years I think. The scattered small text files I might have in my Library don't bother me in the slightest. I did (this morning) rerun the Sierra installer on my Mac because it was acting weird. My first install was straight from the App Store on Tuesday evening. This morning I ran it from a bootable USB stick. Problem solved. You might try the same--rerunning the installer.

But you could try some more troubleshooting first. For example, what happens if you turn off Notes syncing in your iCloud preference pane. Does the app crash then? This will help narrow the problem to an app problem vs a syncing problem.

Hi! Yeah I ended up just doing a complete fresh format and reinstall of Sierra and everything is working perfectly now. :D

smileman

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2011
Hi All!

Thanks!

Having the same issue. Late 2013 MPPr 15"

Reactions: utwarreng

Katalyst2

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2016
Having the same issue. Late 2013 MPPr 15"

Me too -- mid-2013 MBA 13. Damn annoying!

EDIT: And as usual, as soon as I post a problem report, I somehow manage to fix it :)

What I just did now was log into iCloud.com and I made a tiny edit to one of my notes (in my case, I deleted one line on a to-do list). Then I waited a few seconds for the data to refresh, and then I tried opening Notes locally again.

Let us know if this works.

Last edited:

mattmanp

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2008

EDIT: And as usual, as soon as I post a problem report, I somehow manage to fix it :)

What I just did now was log into iCloud.com and I made a tiny edit to one of my notes (in my case, I deleted one line on a to-do list). Then I waited a few seconds for the data to refresh, and then I tried opening Notes locally again.

I ran in to same issue first time I edited a note after installing Sierra (all I did was delete a space). Editing the same not on iCloud.com fixed it for me as well so far.

Reactions: BaseDesign

iGianluca

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2016

I've got my subscription to the forum, that I always read, only to say THANK YOU! Your suggestion fixed the issue!

Oirectine

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2003
Maryland

This worked for me, as well.

Reactions: BaseDesign

dpace32

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2008

Thank you! That worked for me too!

tladoux

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2016
Twin Cities
Hi All!

Thanks!
I just upgraded to MACOS Sierra and I have the same problem. Not fix yet.
[doublepost=1475509246][/doublepost]
Thank you! That worked for me too!
Awesome! This must be another one of those hidden, undocumented features found in the most advanced OS in the world. Thanks for posting the fix that worked.

VxWorks

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2016
Hi All!

Thanks!

I have found a fix at: Notes keeps crashing in Sierra. Please help!

Fixed it! Unchecked iCloud Notes in Settings, opened Notes (blank), then checked iCloud Notes in Settings again. All synced and hopefully no more crashes!

And it works for me

MBorse

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2016
Hi All!

Thanks!
version

I have the same issue, I contacted Apple, after installing the Java 2015 001 version nothing changed

sbanny

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2016

It works! Thank you

evadre

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2016
I also have this problem. When I go to icloud.com and edit the notes, it works again for a while, but then starts crashing again.

Rocky97

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2016
I also have this problem. When I go to icloud.com and edit the notes, it works again for a while, but then starts crashing again.
[doublepost=1477329329][/doublepost]I have the same crashing problem with SOHO Notes since I installed macOS Sierra. I've posted a tech request to Chronos but have yet to receive a response other than the standard "We got your request". Upon checking on this problem report it has been in their system for almost a month. I've tried all of the above and nothing works. I, used to, use SOHO daily but due to the delay I've got to change my note app. Does anyone have a suggestion for a replacement app.

Napkins

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2016
Hi All!

Thanks!
[doublepost=1477516663][/doublepost]I'm having the exact same problem. :-(

Will C.

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2016
[doublepost=1477329329][/doublepost]I have the same crashing problem with SOHO Notes since I installed macOS Sierra. I've posted a tech request to Chronos but have yet to receive a response other than the standard "We got your request". Upon checking on this problem report it has been in their system for almost a month. I've tried all of the above and nothing works. I, used to, use SOHO daily but due to the delay I've got to change my note app. Does anyone have a suggestion for a replacement app.

Me, too. I can't open it. It's a problem for me because I store a lot of important information in that database.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.