Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sprucemoose

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 26, 2015
Every once in a while, especially when I haven't touched the remote for a few seconds, when I swipe on the trackpad I get audio pop/click in addition to the system menu sounds. it's kind of a one-off but I'll hear it occasionally as I navigate the menus. It doesn't seem to affect playback of video or audio, just the system UI.

Anyone else experiencing this? I figure this is a software issue, however I was wondering if maybe the HDMI cable or something could be to blame.

Shawn Parr

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2008
Do you have a receiver? I've noticed on the 3rd gen (my 4th has shipped but not delivered) that if it sets for a bit it stops sending an audio stream. The next time it plays a sound, like the interface pop/blip, my receiver has to rediscover the audio type (stereo vs Dolby digital) and the first sound isn't heard.

Maybe the same is happening, and your equipment rather than being silent is giving a small noise when the digital audio stream starts back up?

sprucemoose

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 26, 2015
Nope, but I know exactly what you mean. It's that same sort of sound, however the Apple TV is connected directly to the TV via HDMI, and it can be just leaving the remote alone for 5 seconds and then navigating again — not long enough to trigger a sleep sort of thing.

AppleUserD

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2015
I am having the same issue. I experienced it while streaming a movie in Simplex though which has me concerned.

I notice my receiver detects Stereo regardless of what I have set in the Apple TV settings. Is that normal? Are all the sound effects just in Stereo?

edgr.sanchez

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2013
I'm experiencing the same issue.

I have my Apple TV connected to the HDMI IN port on my Xbox One.

The Xbox One is connected to a Yamaha receiver.

The Xbox One doesn't do this when left sitting for a while.

Timmo78

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2008
Same deal for me, I'm connected via HDMI directly into the TV
It occurred more frequently when I first setup the unit.. I've since tried checking the cables to ensure they're securely fitted - the popping now seems less frequent.. I'm not sure wether it's a bad cable (apple supplied) or if it's the ATV itself.

Anyone else using an apple supplied HDMI cable? Anyone had success replacing said cable?

fpnc

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2002
San Diego, CA
Yes, I notice the same thing. I'm using a Denon receiver and the HDMI signal from the Apple TV is routed through that component to my TV.

It looks like the Apple TV may be using a separate iOS sound channel for the sound effects and it must dispose of that channel if it has been inactive for more than a few seconds. Then, when you use the remote again it has to rebuild the connection to the sound manager in iOS and that is probably causing the popping sound.

Gannon1

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2014
I have the same issue. I get a pop/clicking noise when browsing the menus on my new Apple TV. It doesn't happen during video/audio playback, just the menus. I'm running my ATV4 through a Yamaha receiver. I didn't have this issue with my previous Roku.

Has anyone found a fix for this?

hamiltonDSi

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Romania
Same issue.

My setup :

ATV |
PS4 | -> Sony Receiver -> Samsung 4K TV.
Wii |

This did not happen with my old 3rd Gen ATV.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
Does the new update released today fix it? I am waiting for a replacement for mine due to Bluetooth buzzing noises so I can't check

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
Looks like the majority commenting have receivers. I also noticed this last night, I'm going to try and plug my ATV directly into my TV and bypass my receiver altogether to see if that's whats causing the noise.

edanuff

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2008
I've heard it once with the new update. I'm not using a receiver, going direct to the TV and then out from the TV to a soundbar.

adox66

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2015
Anyone find a solution to this? I've only jot iced this recently. Connected to a receiver through HDMI. Getting the occasional clicking/popping sound when scrolling through menus on home page or in apps like Netflix/Plex etc.

fpnc

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2002
San Diego, CA
Another confirmation that the tvOS v9.1 update does NOT fix this problem. In fact, I don't think it has changed at all.

I was running exactly the same setup with a third generation Apple TV and it did not have this problem (same Denon receiver, same cables, same routing, same TV). In fact, I've had several previous generation Apple TVs and none have had any popping or clicking sounds that resulted from navigating the user interface.

GustavY

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2016
I'm experiencing the same clicks. Not just occasionally though, but after every sound. I first noticed it while scrolling through apps. After the "navigation sound" follows a pop/click. Sounds like a faulty fade file for you who've worked with daw's. Anyone found a solution for this?

cnoyes1972

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2016
I'm experiencing the same clicks. Not just occasionally though, but after every sound. I first noticed it while scrolling through apps. After the "navigation sound" follows a pop/click. Sounds like a faulty fade file for you who've worked with daw's. Anyone found a solution for this?

I know this thread is a bit old, but I just purchased a 64GB Apple TV and heard the popping noises (and stuttering when playing a song from my Mac Mini via home sharing). After restoring the unit and having the latest OS installed (now 9.1.1) it still didn't help. I played around with the settings (setting audio from dolby surround to stereo; still no joy). Also tried setting the audio bit depth (to 16bits); still no joy. I then set the video detection from auto to 720P 60Hz (it said it had auto detected 1080p 60Hz but I didn't think my old 32" TV was actually 1080p). Now the audio works fine and the stuttering is gone. I'm looking to update my TV to something bigger in the future. I just hope that it will work if I set the video manually on the new unit as well. This is the type of issue that Apple should have ironed out by now.

fpnc

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2002
San Diego, CA
These audio pops still happen with the latest tvOS update (released Mar 21, 2016). I never had this problem with any other Apple TV and I've owned every version of the Apple TV since day one (going back to January 2007). Also, I have perhaps a half dozen other video and streaming devices connected to the same receiver and TV and none of those have this problem.

I know, not everyone is having this problem, but I'm beginning to believe that Apple just doesn't care about the Apple TV.

pedro76

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2016
I can also confirm that tvos 9.2 does not fix the issue. I have the same issue and actually just exchanged my apply tv 4 thinking I had a defective one. Replacement has the same issue. On the original atv4 that I had I could swear the issue got worse over time in that I started experiencing a really loud sound clipping right after selecting the first video to play in Netflix. That's when I decided to exchange my atv4. Replacement seems to only have the menu sound pod and click noises. I really hope apple fixes this with a software update.

seanrt

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2015
USA
Every once in a while, especially when I haven't touched the remote for a few seconds, when I swipe on the trackpad I get audio pop/click in addition to the system menu sounds. it's kind of a one-off but I'll hear it occasionally as I navigate the menus. It doesn't seem to affect playback of video or audio, just the system UI.

Anyone else experiencing this? I figure this is a software issue, however I was wondering if maybe the HDMI cable or something could be to blame.
I’m also having the same issue with my Apple TV 4

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.