Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gdd9000

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2017
It was bad on my fourth gen and is worse on my new 4k. I am at least glad to know that others have this issue, only in so much that it's not my equipment, but perhaps some settings, or just that Apple doesn't know WTF they are doing anymore. That company is getting so sloppy. Im almost wishing I never went down the path with them. Fat, lazy and stupid is no way to go through life...

I will come back and document my setup, and see if I can figure out anything in the meantime. One poster upthread mentioned some setting changes with video detection that worked to fix it for him/her. Crossing fingers I can find an easy fix. For now, I change apps, channels with the mute on as this noise cannot be good for my speakers and they are a major investment I don't need Apple ***** up.

DenOndeElvispen

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2019
Hi! I do still experience this problem with an Apple TV 4K. Did anyone find a fix for it? I have the Apple TV connected to a TV with hdmi, then to a Logitech Z906 (normal Dolby digital, NOT Dolby digital +) via an optical cable. I have tried to change all the settings in both the apple tv and the tv. I have also tried to change both the hdmi cable and the opical cable. Still a very loud click sound when playing trailers on Netflix, pausing a movie (on both iTunes and Netflix) and so on. It seems like the sound appears when the Apple TV switches from the movie's sound to the os's sound.

cezar.cretzu

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2018
atv 4k + onkyo = same popping sound. more then this it sends noise (rumble) in my left height speaker and that is sensed only when atv is through

can it be the hdmi cable? i'm airplaying now directly to onkyo and no pops nor rumbles

Vince_moose

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2020
Earth, Milky way.
I have the same popping sound (like an old record) problem streaming (airplay) audio from my MacBook Pro to my Apple TV HD and Pioneer SC-LX-704.

I have tried switching off 5G wifi, bluetooth, changed router even streaming via PLEX from my laptop to Apple-TV / Receiver does not change the problem. Both the Pioneer and Apple TV are wired to my router, my laptop is connected via Wifi. I think it is a Apple audio codec (airplay) problem...

It seems like the audio stream is disconnected and then connected on the left and or right channel for a split second. Sometimes it accords 4 times in a row creating a Prrr sound. That gives the popping sound. I think it happens most when the buffer of the playing divice (in my case Apple-TV or Pioneer receiver) is almost empty and needs the next 20 seconds or so of the song. That gives the plop sound.

You can hear it best on moderate or loud volume. And it does not always happen. Sometimes it does not happen for 2 hours and sometimes it seems not to stop and pops every 5 or 20 seconds..

Let's hope for an Apple update....

Last edited:

HeathH

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2010
Honolulu, HI
So crazy how old this thread is and still going strong. I recently purchased a brand new Apple TV 4K (latest model with new remote) and have it hooked via HDMI to a Vizio P series 85” tv and get the pop sound on every navigation click a half second or so after the navigation sound effect. Crazy thing is I have 4 other vizio panels all with Apple TV 4K and none of those have the issue.

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
Every once in a while, especially when I haven't touched the remote for a few seconds, when I swipe on the trackpad I get audio pop/click in addition to the system menu sounds. it's kind of a one-off but I'll hear it occasionally as I navigate the menus. It doesn't seem to affect playback of video or audio, just the system UI.

Anyone else experiencing this? I figure this is a software issue, however I was wondering if maybe the HDMI cable or something could be to blame.
I definitely do, with the ATV 4K 2nd Gen. It was quite bad last night for some reason, made me think of the old LP Vinyl playing. I'd bet a software problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.