Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

a2jack

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 5, 2013
The Quest arrived two days ago, and after much Facebook phone hassle, we got it running...Awesome !

Start here by saying we are old. Not all young and super sharp like you guys, so results may vary. LOL

I can best describe this first VR experience, as the same blown away feeling that rocked me as a nine year old seeing, and hearing 'Niagara Falls' . So here's a narrative without the hype.

The space you are in is nicely furnished Geo-Doom set in the mountains. Your wood stove is burning, and the view out the many windows is serine.

First demo screen , you see your hands, not clunky or mitten like, nice normal workable hands and fingers. A counter-top opens up and You get a drill with blocks, then all sorts of neat stuff to train your hands.

Now, a thee foot Zeppelin arrives over your shoulder complete with a remote control that you pick up with your hand and fly the Zep.

More later. I think this thing may be a winner. A2

a2jack

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 5, 2013
Unsatisfactory... Resolution very poor. We expected at least a ,perceived, minimum of 720p.

Not much non-gaming software out there yet. Settings are dumbed down and interface with Facebook only works after multiple gates and repetitious personal info entry.

In my opinion, Oculus Quest is not yet ready for prime time. Returning product for refund this week. a2

a2jack

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 5, 2013
Above, I described what we saw as "perceived" poor resolution. The proper term is "Poor Visual Fidelity".

What we are dealing with here, is a lack of big DC power to run top end CPU and graphic chips. The result is a soft pix as compared to a high powered PC.

We may ,down the line, be able to beat this power trap by new means of graphic data compression, maybe not.

For now, if we want wireless portability, the Quest is the only game in town.

Now, after running a brand new app today, I may change my mind and keep the Quest as a VR learning tool. a2

Last edited:
Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Yes, I feared as much as while I think the Oculus Rift is adequate visually as a first VR step, I am not satisfied with it’s resolution as compared to my monitor. The issue is the technology takes approximately the equivalent of resolution of most monitors (pre-4k) and expands those pixels at that resolution to cover your entire field of view. It’s just can’t be as sharp your 32” monitor and the Quest arguably is less capable than the Rift. :(
I assume Lone Echo, nor The Climb are available for this hardware? What kind of games are available?

Last edited:

a2jack

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 5, 2013
Huntn. I saw The Climb, and Rec Room, on the list, but don't remember Lone Echo. I believe most pop titles will end up there... But, the problem is this.

While lower graphic power demand apps, such as simple animations, run "good enough" on the Quest. Complex renderings such as fast travel logs with deep texture, shadow, and tiny detail are so low in Visual Fidelity as to be unwatchable.

I agree with with your expanding pixel conclusion, and the result is really hard on the eyes. :confused:

So I'm back to square one on my search for good VR. I know now I want a huge PS, the best GPU, (2080 up class), and a high end CPU. IO, SSD, Ram, all need to be up-gradable, so It's back to looking at a build.

I will wait a little longer for Apple to catch back up to the graphics market, but if don't do it soon, Windows or Android will get my business.

Really disappointed here. The Quest gave us a taste of VR...And we loved it. a2

Reactions: Vanilla35 and Huntn

a2jack

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 5, 2013
Returned Quest today for full refund at Best Buy. Good customer service and no Hassle. Will buy from here again. a2

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Huntn. I saw The Climb, and Rec Room, on the list, but don't remember Lone Echo. I believe most pop titles will end up there... But, the problem is this.

While lower graphic power demand apps, such as simple animations, run "good enough" on the Quest. Complex renderings such as fast travel logs with deep texture, shadow, and tiny detail are so low in Visual Fidelity as to be unwatchable.

I agree with with your expanding pixel conclusion, and the result is really hard on the eyes. :confused:

So I'm back to square one on my search for good VR. I know now I want a huge PS, the best GPU, (2080 up class), and a high end CPU. IO, SSD, Ram, all need to be up-gradable, so It's back to looking at a build.

I will wait a little longer for Apple to catch back up to the graphics market, but if don't do it soon, Windows or Android will get my business.

Really disappointed here. The Quest gave us a taste of VR...And we loved it. a2
Next time you are in a Microsoft Store, ask for an Oculus Rift demo. This is said with the acknowledgment that your current computer might not be up to the task of running this Headset.

Although I said I am not satisfied with Rift’s resolution, I meant this as a comparative statement. It is still good enough to offer a knock your socks off visual experience, although I doubt that they will have Lone Echo on their list of demo games.

a2jack

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 5, 2013
Right, I will now focus on a top end stand alone headset. I have been researching this, and so far, no one product stands out.

The Valve and the Rift are the only other real players here and both are due for big changes in-light of the arrival of Quest.

Of note here... None of the reviewers, so far, cite any major quality difference over the Quest by either Rift or Valve. It looks like wired or wireless, same/same...Over expanded pixels.

Agree, I need now to check out a demo on the Rift and confirm the above. a2

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Right, I will now focus on a top end stand alone headset. I have been researching this, and so far, no one product stands out.

The Valve and the Rift are the only other real players here and both are due for big changes in-light of the arrival of Quest.

Of note here... None of the reviewers, so far, cite any major quality difference over the Quest by either Rift or Valve. It looks like wired or wireless, same/same...Over expanded pixels.

A top end standalone headset isn't going to match the graphic fidelity of a PC or PS4 - unless you like only a 20 min battery...

If you want one, they're probably 2 years or so out...

The standalones and PSVR are turn-key, you won't get that at all on a PC-based system - do your homework..

a2jack

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 5, 2013
Just went over the new specs of the PSVR. This may be the answer.

Ignore last post. a2

Last edited:

a2jack

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 5, 2013
Then this comes from Tech Radar, on the PS4 Pro and their VR headsets.

Screen Shot 2019-08-04 at 8.23.57 AM.png

Looks like you are right, it's going to be another 2 year wait before we can buy top quality visual VR .a2

Reactions: Vanilla35

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Then this comes from Tech Radar, on the PS4 Pro and their VR headsets.

View attachment 851438

Looks like you are right, it's going to be another 2 year wait before we can buy top quality visual VR .a2

The display looks really good though, and I did upgrade to a PS4Pro for it - it is also all about the games and it being turn-key...

The only other headset I tried was a couple of years ago while shopping for one, the only other one that looked good was the Rift at the MS Store, but that one was $600 and was running on a a $3000 Alienware PC...

Reactions: a2jack

a2jack

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 5, 2013
Miss my VR. :(

The down side of my local purchase at Best Buy was a too short (14 day) return window. I needed more time.

I now accept there will be at least a 2 year wait for the industry to bring to market a product substantial better than the Quest.

The above considers, user experience quality, system complexity, and cost. Although I have yet to try out the Rift, I note none of the reviewers have cited much difference in graphical fidelity between it and the Quest.

Bottom line here... I will be re-buying a Quest shortly. :) a2

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

Based on your description, (I’ve not seen a Quest in action) I think you’ll see a substantial difference with the Rift.

a2jack

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 5, 2013
@Huntn. Right. I need to see the Rift, and you need to see the Quest. Only then will we know for sure. ;) a2

Last edited:

duffman9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA
Miss my VR. :(

The down side of my local purchase at Best Buy was a too short (14 day) return window. I needed more time.

I now accept there will be at least a 2 year wait for the industry to bring to market a product substantial better than the Quest.

The above considers, user experience quality, system complexity, and cost. Although I have yet to try out the Rift, I note none of the reviewers have cited much difference in graphical fidelity between it and the Quest.

Bottom line here... I will be re-buying a Quest shortly. :) a2

I think it will be a much longer wait. The Index is just beginning to solve one of my biggest complaints: the narrow field of view. The Index is better than the Vive Pro in this regard, but it's not much, much better.

I have a Vive Pro coupled with a high end GPU. There are still many downsides unrelated to the PC requirements. The headset needs to be much, much lighter. I feel like I need to have the A/C on to keep me cool.

The screen door effect will probably be fixed with uLED displays, but I don't see anything available (I refuse to support those kickstarters). That is probably still years away. I think we'll get phones with uLED displays before we see the technology in a headset.

A next-gen headset needs to be cordless and I've been severely disappointed by the Intel solution for the Vive. The Index isn't wireless which was surprising. Maybe Valve determined that the current wifi solutions are crap. After going wireless it's hard going back to corded. Get an intermittent blank screen? Try this, and that, and that, and that. Don't forget to move the wifi pci-e card between different slots. This stuff isn't for newcomers.

Reactions: Huntn and a2jack

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I think it will be a much longer wait. The Index is just beginning to solve one of my biggest complaints: the narrow field of view. The Index is better than the Vive Pro in this regard, but it's not much, much better.

I have a Vive Pro coupled with a high end GPU. There are still many downsides unrelated to the PC requirements. The headset needs to be much, much lighter. I feel like I need to have the A/C on to keep me cool.

The screen door effect will probably be fixed with uLED displays, but I don't see anything available (I refuse to support those kickstarters). That is probably still years away. I think we'll get phones with uLED displays before we see the technology in a headset.

A next-gen headset needs to be cordless and I've been severely disappointed by the Intel solution for the Vive. The Index isn't wireless which was surprising. Maybe Valve determined that the current wifi solutions are crap. After going wireless it's hard going back to corded. Get an intermittent blank screen? Try this, and that, and that, and that. Don't forget to move the wifi pci-e card between different slots. This stuff isn't for newcomers.
VR is like stepping through a magical door, but there is not enough magic to hold you there, and there are practical hindrances like controller and resolution issues. I don’t regret jumping into it, but I just don’t spend a lot of time there. Right now, I reveling in a Fallout 4 replay, but with all the commands and console input, I have zero interest in the VR version of this game.

duffman9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA
VR is like stepping through a magical door, but there is not enough magic to hold you there, and there are practical hindrances like controller and resolution issues. I don’t regret jumping into it, but I just don’t spend a lot of time there. Right now, I reveling in a Fallout 4 replay, but with all the commands and console input, I have zero interest in the VR version of this game.

I forgot to mention those blasted Vive controllers. They need to die in a fire!

I read an Ars review where the author stated the Index can reduce or even eliminate motion sickness due when running at higher frame rates. I hope so. There is one game in particular (Vanishing of Ethan Carter) that will make me feel extremely ill after only a few minutes. I thought I wanted to run around in first person view and then I felt like I was going to hurl.

a2jack

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 5, 2013
We are back with a new Quest. They have made some changes and it's looking a bit better than the first model we had.

But big disappointment... I can't find the free app that had the cat-like critter. He/she could do tricks and one could pet him and feel him purr in the handset.
(Do like cats. :) ) Anyone seen that lost critter ???

Love having my VR back and plan go as deep as I can into the tech. Still have my $$ pot ready to jump right in when major state of the art changes are made. I saved a bunch by not having to buy a Windows computer to get started on VR.

First task ahead is to set up casting to a couple of tvs. I have the gen #3 Chromecast pod and will set up next week. Downside here, it is another phone Os like the Quest and my router. I hate the phone ****, as it adds more gateways. a2

a2jack

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 5, 2013
His name is Bo-Go. You will really be amazed. So glad I found him again.

Many things Bo-Go can do. Although he is a cat ,I think, cause I can feel him purr, he even chases sticks thrown way out in the 360 virtual world.

On the Quest here, and learning more each day.

Screen Shot 2019-09-30 at 7.39.25 AM.png

Reactions: TheFluffyDuck

a2jack

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 5, 2013
More tech for Quest coming fast. It looks like Reedit will be a main info source, for the time being, as Facebook presents a ball of snakes every time I try to use it.

Here's some neat stuff thats on it's way. a2

TheFluffyDuck

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2012
I love my quest. I play it everyday. With Oculus link around the corner and hand trac,king it is the headset to beat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.