Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
More tech for Quest coming fast. It looks like Reedit will be a main info source, for the time being, as Facebook presents a ball of snakes every time I try to use it.

Here's some neat stuff thats on it's way. a2

That hand tracking is neat.

When the Windows MR headsets came out with the two cameras, a guy at the MS Store told me that it was based on Kinect Technology so that it sees where you and things (like the controllers and your hands) are...

Reactions: a2jack

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
I think people expect something like Enders Game experience.
Take VR for what it is, it is currently more about imersion.
Having played Daedalus on the Gear VR a long time ago, graphics are basic, but it is very immersive.
If you are high up on a ledge and look straight down, you do feel dizzy ?

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
To become even more immersive as we move forward. Check this out. a2

This a very intriguing topic that has been discussed either in Community or PRSI, but I forget which without searching. Not meant as a critical comment. The idea has been explored in popular culture, shows like Star Trek Generation, and it touches on spirituality and even the soul and boils down to this question, what makes you, you? The single most appealing idea with many religions is their promise of continued existence, the continuation of consciousness. I maintain you don't need religion to keep the dream alive, just the idea of spirituality and a spiritual plain.

If technology reached a point were they were able analyze your brain and capture everything about it, including intelligence, emotional responses, likes, dislikes, biases and memories, and placed those into a humanoid shell, or even let it reside on the Internet, would this be you, would you wake up in this new form, or are you still dead, and it would simply be an entity that has your memories and perceives the world the same way you do?

This might be a great comfort to loved ones, but not everyone, or even most people because an imitation is an imitation. And I propose it would do nothing for the individual who is dead. You are still going to die, and if there is any hope of the continuation of consciousness, your consciousness, it would be through the spiritual angle. However, it’s hard to define a spirit, which might just be a collection of memories? ;)

I like the idea androids, synths, replicants, so identical to human beings, with the opportunity to create them minus human flaws. In my opinion, the most intriguing aspect is that with the technology your linked article describes, you could have androids waking up thinking they are you, getting your continuation of consciousness. Of course we just surmise that too, because although we experience consciousness, we don’t understand it and how it exists.

What is the difference between ourselves experiencing consciousness and a machine with really good programming and sensors, motor skills, that can mimic human behavior perfectly and can react to the world around it and be aware of the world in an intellectual manner. Does it have that bubble of consciousness centered on it brain or it just an complex A.I. program running? And are we just complex biological programs running?

Human memories appear to be very perishable. We know that a good knock on the brain, may erase them. But what we don’t know, as part of a speculative philosophical discussion, is if a quantum record is recorded, and if a spiritual entities could traverse though this existence/reality, each being unique and enduring or if our existence is a one shot deal, a shooting star that exists only once and is then lost forever.

As human beings some of us are reconciled to the shooting star experience, one time and done, while others like myself hold onto that hope that some part of ourselves will endure. Maybe we will become that collection of memories that wakes up in an Android. But is that you I’m talking too or a machine that thinks it is you? ;) :D

a2jack

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 5, 2013
No free thinking machine would ever want to be a human being, just read the newspapers.

For now we have the beginnings of VR and early development of quantum computing. Will this evolve into a new form of being ? I say probably, but that form will be far removed from the human experience. Mechanical Clones are fun, but just not practical.

Now comes VR. So far a wasted world of shoot- um- ups and very bad travelogs. Yet here, there is a chance of an alternate life.

Although, VR is virtual and only in our enhanced “Minds Eye”, it can become as real as life to many people. I look forward to a violance free, happy VR world we can visit in the near future

So far I have only found 'Bo-Go’. LOL a2

Last edited:
Reactions: Vanilla35 and Huntn

benshive

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2017
United States
It's funny how universally awesome that first experience with VR is. I'm 22 so I've grown up surrounded by awesome technology and I was blown away the first time I tried VR. I saw the PSVR mentioned. If you're looking for a headset with better visual fidelity than the Quest steer clear of the PSVR. I have both the PSVR and the Rift S and the image quality of the Rift S is better by a long shot (and the quest even has a higher resolution than the Rift S). The technology is just too young to provide a field of view and clarity that is completely immersive. Did you get a chance to try Beat Saber before you returned the Quest? :)

a2jack

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 5, 2013
Yes, Beat Saber was interesting and well done, but not for me. I have no interest in gaming or challenge play at all. I'm here for the tech and the VR immersive experience only.

I did re-buy the quest and I play with it (learn) every day. @Huntn also says the Rift has better over all fidelity, but it requires a high end Windows gaming machine to run it, and it is a wired headset.

Free roaming is the near future of VR and Quest is here now. I expect it to be obsolete within a couple of years. For me now, a couple of years use for $400 bucks is worth it to sample this mind blowing experience.

BTW. Huntn, I did check out Derail, and it's not ready for Quest as yet. a2

Reactions: Huntn and benshive

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Yes, Beat Saber was interesting and well done, but not for me. I have no interest in gaming or challenge play at all. I'm here for the tech and the VR immersive experience only.

I did re-buy the quest and I play with it (learn) every day. @Huntn also says the Rift has better over all fidelity, but it requires a high end Windows gaming machine to run it, and it is a wired headset.

Free roaming is the near future of VR and Quest is here now. I expect it to be obsolete within a couple of years. For me now, a couple of years use for $400 bucks is worth it to sample this mind blowing experience.

BTW. Huntn, I did check out Derail, and it's not ready for Quest as yet. a2
Can the Quest run AAA, ie high demand games? You might have talked about this, but I don’t remember. ? ?

benshive

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2017
United States
I don’t think that it can, not very well at least. Robo Recall is one of my favorite games on the Rift S and I remember it wasn’t available on the Quest for awhile and then when it was released for it the quality of the graphics were nowhere near as good as a PC powered experience.

Reactions: Huntn and a2jack

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
No free thinking machine would ever want to be a human being, just read the newspapers.

For now we have the beginnings of VR and early development of quantum computing. Will this evolve into a new form of being ? I say probably, but that form will be far removed from the human experience. Mechanical Clones are fun, but just not practical.

Now comes VR. So far a wasted world of shoot- um- ups and very bad travelogs. Yet here, there is a chance of an alternate life.

Although, VR is virtual and only in our enhanced “Minds Eye”, it can become as real as life to many people. I look forward to a violance free, happy VR world we can visit in the near future

So far I have only found 'Bo-Go’. LOL a2
If VR get’s good enough, and it most likely will, I could see people happily getting lost in VR for long periods of time. If they ever make a holodeck, look out! ;) For myself, just with a computer monitor, not VR, and a good RPG, I can happily get lost in a virtual story for hours, even with it’s limitations, and limited dialog choices, it offers escapism from an average, some might describe it as a boring life.

Off topic but tech related A.I., besides VR if they could make androids human enough, realistic in appearance, dynamic enough, entertaining enough, even sexy enough, with the amount of empathy humans require, I could imagine people ditching humans for artificial companions. It’s been a science fiction theme for as long as I can remember. :)

A79C9079-F4A1-4E2B-AB60-61C74F69AC7B.jpeg
Twilight Zone: The Lonely (1959)

D4565191-39EE-4D0D-ABA4-E37812EFBA76.jpeg

Twilight Zone: Lateness of the Hour (1960)​

Last edited:

a2jack

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 5, 2013
"I could imagine people ditching humans for artificial companions. It’s been a science fiction theme for as long as I can remember."

LOL. I remember the SF movie 'Cherry 2000' (1987) even had some flying in it. More LOL.

We are already well on our way to an AI world. Soon our talking devices will answerback, "I can't let you do that Dave, it may be hazardous to your health". Hmmm. a2

a2jack

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 5, 2013
AirBeagle. Yes, we too are still impressed with the Quest after 3 months of daily use.

Had an early problem with WiFi drop out, but just switched the Quest back down to 2.4 gig and its OK until they can fix the software. Soon I hope.

We spend most time at Alt Space VR. New World there on flight and flying Sims. a2

AirBeagle

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2013
Rochester, NY
Hi a2jack. They fixed the WiFi problem a week or so ago... I had a help ticket in and was impressed with their regular personal updates, including letting me know when it was fixed, and confirming the fix worked. The latest OS update took care of the Mesh WiFi issue 100% for me.

joeniles

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2021
Does anyone have any new information on if the if Oculus Quest 2 will work with the new iMac 24 inch M1.

Joe

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
Only if it has windows.
Oculus (Facebook) devices need to be paired with a PC (except the go, which is discontinued) and a Facebook account to use.

• Sad
Reactions: joeniles

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
Apologies, I was getting mixed up with the Vive Cosmos, which does need a PC.
Quest & Quest 2 can run in standalone mode. You can connect to a PC for more demanding games.
I was put off because you need FB to use it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.