Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheFluffyDuck

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 26, 2012
Anybody here pumped for the Oculus quest? For those who are currently not up to date. Its a full 6-dof headset with two handsets. The only difference is it is standalone, it uses inside-out tracking with cameras rather than standalone headsets. some of the launch titles (SuperHot, beat sabre) are good (as they are already with the more powerful headsets on computers).

I got the go but was a little disappointed after a few months, it was mainly for media and not games, and the amount of shovelware on the store gives iOS a run for its money. But this seems to have a gaming focus, so I am giving it one last go. Sadly I cant afford a gaming PC on top of a mac purchase, not at Apples current prices. Otherwise I would get a proper VR setup, this seems like a happy compromise.

Its $399 and release in two weeks.

https://www.techradar.com/uk/reviews/oculus-quest-review

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Anybody here pumped for the Oculus quest? For those who are currently not up to date. Its a full 6-dof headset with two handsets. The only difference is it is standalone, it uses inside-out tracking with cameras rather than standalone headsets. some of the launch titles (SuperHot, beat sabre) are good (as they are already with the more powerful headsets on computers).

I got the go but was a little disappointed after a few months, it was mainly for media and not games, and the amount of shovelware on the store gives iOS a run for its money. But this seems to have a gaming focus, so I am giving it one last go. Sadly I cant afford a gaming PC on top of a mac purchase, not at Apples current prices. Otherwise I would get a proper VR setup, this seems like a happy compromise.

Its $399 and release in two weeks.

https://www.techradar.com/uk/reviews/oculus-quest-review

The best deal going is a used PS4 and a used PSVR setup. An local used game shop is selling PS4 OG's for $199 and PSVR headset for $130 and the camera for $30. $360. A lot of free VR stuff/demos on the PS store to get your feet wet.

A turn-key system that works great...

TheFluffyDuck

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 26, 2012
The best deal going is a used PS4 and a used PSVR setup. An local used game shop is selling PS4 OG's for $199 and PSVR headset for $130 and the camera for $30. $360. A lot of free VR stuff/demos on the PS store to get your feet wet.

A turn-key system that works great...
I am tempted to get a PS4VR headset but I have a 1st gen PS4, and I hear it doesn't run so well, compared to the slim and pro? Is that correct?

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I am tempted to get a PS4VR headset but I have a 1st gen PS4, and I hear it doesn't run so well, compared to the slim and pro? Is that correct?

I started with a PS4 slim (they run really hot, though and runs the same as the OG) - it really depends on the game. Battlezone in VR got me sick (I normally don't get sick) but it was because of the head tracking slight lag which the PRO cleared up.

Some games look a bit better with the pro, but if you already have a PS4 OG - then get a PSVR where you are able to return it if you don't like it. Try out the many demos that Sony has to offer...

I love VR and had the chance to trade my slim in (the smaller form factor was just running so incredibly hot) for essentially what I paid for it and upgraded to a used PRO. The PRO actually runs cooler since it is a larger form factor and larger fan.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I was struggling on whether to get the Quest or Rift S.

But then I seen that a VR version of No Man's Sky is being released soon, so Rift S is my choice.

TheFluffyDuck

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 26, 2012
I was struggling on whether to get the Quest or Rift S.

But then I seen that a VR version of No Man's Sky is being released soon, so Rift S is my choice.

I dont have a computer good enough for VR :( Otherwise I might have been the same.

Reactions: a2jack
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.