Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dr. McKay

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Belgium, Europe
I had an Office 365 subscription for my Mac last year, but cancelled it because I temporarily no longer needed Office.

That has changed now and I will be paying the subscription fee again.
Since I cancelled Office 365, it has also become available in the App Store, so my only question is what benefit I would have by buying/subscribing on the App Store versus just renewing my earlier subscription through my Microsoft account ?

I assume updates will be faster coming directly from Microsoft so that's one argument against buying from the App Store. Doesn't really make any sense to me buying through Apple, unless there are benefits I'm not aware of...

BuffaloTF

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2008
So... I replaced my web-installed version with App Store downloads. 365 is updated frequently with new features -- and the visible indicator from the App Store icon that it was time for an update is what sold me on making that change. They're the same programs - I just wanted it to be that simple.

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
id guess what would swing it for me is id get childish pleasure of knowing that by doing it through the app store apple would be getting some of the money and Microsoft would be getting less.

Dr. McKay

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Belgium, Europe
So... I replaced my web-installed version with App Store downloads. 365 is updated frequently with new features -- and the visible indicator from the App Store icon that it was time for an update is what sold me on making that change. They're the same programs - I just wanted it to be that simple.

With the 'normal' version, you get a notification for every available update whenever you launch one of the apps in the suite. Don't really see what the advantage is of seeing the updates in the App Store icon...

id guess what would swing it for me is id get childish pleasure of knowing that by doing it through the app store apple would be getting some of the money and Microsoft would be getting less.

That really is a childish pleasure...

Conclusion : there's no advantage whatsoever apparently, which makes it all the more confusing why Microsoft and/or Apple chose to do it this way...

Ducksnort

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2014
It also determines with which ID you're logging into O365; Microsoft or Apple, aka iCloud.

For some this may be an important factor.

Dr. McKay

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Belgium, Europe
It also determines with which ID you're logging into O365; Microsoft or Apple, aka iCloud.

For some this may be an important factor.

I already have files on my OneDrive which is part of my Microsoft account.
How do you mean exactly ? Don't you need to log in with your Microsoft account (or register if you don't have one yet) ? Or does it automatically use your iCloud storage when you use Office 365 from the App Store ?

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
App store as the updates are more obvious. Microsoft's auto-updates sometimes failed so I wasn't always getting all my O365 apps updated. At least being pushed from the app store I know everything has updated as intended.

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2008
App store as the updates are more obvious. Microsoft's auto-updates sometimes failed so I wasn't always getting all my O365 apps updated. At least being pushed from the app store I know everything has updated as intended.

I have a MS subscription. Is there any way to change over “mid way” without a hassle?

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
I have a MS subscription. Is there any way to change over “mid way” without a hassle?

No as the App Store won't recognise the apps.

As you have a subscription you can simply remove your current Office apps, then download the apps from the store & sign in with your credentials.

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2008

As you have a subscription you can simply remove your current Office apps, then download the apps from the store & sign in with your credentials.

Which credentials do I sign in with?

BuffaloTF

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2008
With the 'normal' version, you get a notification for every available update whenever you launch one of the apps in the suite. Don't really see what the advantage is of seeing the updates in the App Store icon...

It's more about process for me. I'm not a fan of launching something, getting into my 'zone'... and then being greeted by something that removes me from it..

BWRumors

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2020
Another advantage of the App Store could be if you're coordinating multiple devices using an iCloud account.

For example a desktop iMac and a MacBook Air have data & documents synced via iCloud drive, have Notes and Reminders etc synced via iCloud... and App Store purchases show up in the App Store on both machines. You can choose which apps from the list to install on each machine, but it's part of the overall list of purchases in your account. One less thing to manage separately.

(Planning on switching to App Store for that reason, but haven't done it yet.)

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2008
Another advantage of the App Store could be if you're coordinating multiple devices using an iCloud account.

For example a desktop iMac and a MacBook Air have data & documents synced via iCloud drive, have Notes and Reminders etc synced via iCloud... and App Store purchases show up in the App Store on both machines. You can choose which apps from the list to install on each machine, but it's part of the overall list of purchases in your account. One less thing to manage separately.

(Planning on switching to App Store for that reason, but haven't done it yet.)

I am never clear on how you actually switch. Can anyone explain?

Capeto

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2015
I am never clear on how you actually switch. Can anyone explain?

I use the same Office 365 account on my personal and my work MacBooks. On my personal MacBook, I downloaded the apps from Microsoft's site, while on my work MacBook I downloaded them from the macOS App Store. No issues signing in to my Office 365 account on either one, and no need to switch.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007

Your iCloud documents are available on any Apple Device when you are logged into the same iCloud account. Same is true for OneDrive. You have access to files from both sources.

I get it where it is cheapest. You can save ~$20 purchasing from various websites.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Definitely App Store version. that way you avoid the Microsoft updater being installed as well, which is total garbage.
[automerge]1588917270[/automerge]
I've never had any problems with it. Think I've had it since it was first released.

It pops up when you're wanting to use the app and bugs you. It needs authentication to update the apps. The App Store versions update transparently overnight or whenever.

Reactions: BWRumors

bsmr

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2005
Germany
If you use Microsoft Edge Browser (needs MAU) you can install MS Office direct from Microsoft.

Onedrive for macOS does have M1 compatibility - App Store Version doesn't.

mpetrides

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2007
I'm a pages user but I did see the below article that offers MS Office for $49.99 with not annual subscription required.
Sounds like a great deal for anyone looking. https://www.thestreet.com/personal-finance/microsoft-major-deal-office
Indeed. I wait for this option to show up any time I get a new Mac. The only sticky wicket is that the license is for one machine and, I believe, my not be transferrable to a new machine. Still, it beats getting locked into a subscription.

Reactions: rovostrov

fanboy-ish

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2022
for office 365, do you guys experience any issues when sharing words/powerpoints documents to windows pc?
What kind of issues? In my experience, yes there are issues, mostly with layout and formatting, in every app, between Windows and Mac.

As for the topic, I’m using the App Store version, for no particular reason, when I got my Mac it was my first Mac, so I installed office from the App Store to make sure I wouldn’t screw anything up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.