Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kingmet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2019
I've attached the hard drive from my old computer (got leaked on and wouldn't turn back on) to my new computer but it doesn't show anything on it.

here what it says in "get info"

Format: APFS
Capacity: 255.85 GB
Available: 86.23 GB (6.46 GB purgeable)
Used: 888,832 bytes (889 KB on disk)

Could a little water that got in my computer wipe my old drive clean?

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
From what version of MacOS did the disk come from, and when saying new computer, do you mean Mojave?

kingmet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2019
I THINK IT WAS HIGH SIERRA AS WELL. I had and now have a 27 inch desktop mac. the last one got some water in it and wouldn't turn on. so i took the hard drive out and connected it to my new 27 inch desktop mac also high sierra and well you see what it said

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Can you try First Aid from Disk Utility? Choose that old hard drive, then try the first aid choice.

Are there other partitions showing in Disk Utility?
Doesn't seem to be correct when you show about 86 GB available, yet less that 1MB used, on a 256 GB capacity drive.

You can also open your terminal, and run the command "diskutil list" - just to see what shows up as a result.

kingmet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2019
it's verifying file system. Volume was successfully unmounted.

"Live mode required because other APFS Volumes in it's container are mounted. Using live mode"

"performing fsck_apfs-n-l-x/dev/rdisk1s5"

doesn't seem like it's doing anything though. the progress bar is still clear?
[doublepost=1568326926][/doublepost]i don't know. it doesn't seem to be doing anything but having that little rainbow circle spin around and hold up everything else. maybe restart?
[doublepost=1568327343][/doublepost]this is what I'm looking at now. SEE ATTACHED! You help me with this and it works you'll need to give me your paypal because you'll be saving me $75.00

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-09-12 at 6.27.19 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-12 at 6.27.19 PM.png
    514 KB · Views: 176

kingmet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2019
here's a screen shot of the disc info...
[doublepost=1568327553][/doublepost]here's the partition info....
[doublepost=1568327654][/doublepost]this is what i see when i open old hard drive......

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-09-12 at 6.30.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-12 at 6.30.30 PM.png
    437.2 KB · Views: 152
  • Screen Shot 2019-09-12 at 6.31.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-12 at 6.31.55 PM.png
    543.9 KB · Views: 152
  • Screen Shot 2019-09-12 at 6.33.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-12 at 6.33.48 PM.png
    545.9 KB · Views: 163

kingmet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2019
I just have the sata cable. i guess i need some kind of box or adaptor on top of that. but it's showing up minus the files?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
You have a second container on that hard drive - the one named "macOS". I guess that is your boot drive?
How did your OLD hard drive get to be a second container on your internal drive?
Did you copy all your files to the second container?

kingmet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2019
I JUST GOT THAT SATA CHORD CONNECTED IT AND OPENED DISK UTILITY AND THERE SHE WAS
[doublepost=1568340063][/doublepost]NO CASE FOR THE HARD DRIVE. NO POWER SOURCE OR ANYTHING. JUST THE CABLE TO CONNECT IT.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Yes, the old drive is installed internally, corrrect?
I was just wondering about the OTHER container - the one named "macOS". That shows as another APFS container. A container is not a physical enclosure of some kind. It's just a part of the APFS configuration. You can have multiple containers on one hard drive. That's what your Disk Utility shows.
You have a LITEON SSD - probably looks just like this one - https://www.amazon.com/LITEON-LCS-256L9S-11-EXCEPTIONS-LiteOn-LCS-256M6S/dp/B017O20ZQK/
That is internal - inside your Mac. (But, you might have it attached though a Thunderbolt connection, maybe that would register as an internal, even though not actually inside your Mac)
But, if that LITEON SSD is not inside your Mac - why doesn't your actual internal boot drive appear? Did you swap the drives?

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
I JUST GOT THAT SATA CHORD CONNECTED IT AND OPENED DISK UTILITY AND THERE SHE WAS
[doublepost=1568340063][/doublepost]NO CASE FOR THE HARD DRIVE. NO POWER SOURCE OR ANYTHING. JUST THE CABLE TO CONNECT IT.
Do you really think the hard drive should work and show the file structure without a power source to spin up the disk?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Do you really think the hard drive should work and show the file structure without a power source to spin up the disk?
OPs screenshots show a LITEON 2.5-inch SSD, which should be good on bus power (assuming the drive is still working)

kingmet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2019

Do you feel better about yourself now?
[doublepost=1568535820][/doublepost]
Yes, the old drive is installed internally, corrrect?
I was just wondering about the OTHER container - the one named "macOS". That shows as another APFS container. A container is not a physical enclosure of some kind. It's just a part of the APFS configuration. You can have multiple containers on one hard drive. That's what your Disk Utility shows.
You have a LITEON SSD - probably looks just like this one - https://www.amazon.com/LITEON-LCS-256L9S-11-EXCEPTIONS-LiteOn-LCS-256M6S/dp/B017O20ZQK/
That is internal - inside your Mac. (But, you might have it attached though a Thunderbolt connection, maybe that would register as an internal, even though not actually inside your Mac)
But, if that LITEON SSD is not inside your Mac - why doesn't your actual internal boot drive appear? Did you swap the drives?
that is in the mac. there's no enclosure on the one I attached. just whatever it was in inside the computer.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
that is in the mac. there's no enclosure on the one I attached. just whatever it was in inside the computer.
Yes, that's why I asked... You said that you "attached the hard drive from my old computer"
But, ONLY that old hard drive is visible, no other drives, either internal OR external! Can I assume that you removed the hard drive from your new computer, and then installed the OLD hard drive in its place? That's what your screenshots show. It also shows that you have two APFS containers (essentially two partitions), one named OLD HARD DRIVE, and the other named "macOS" What is on THAT (macOS) drive? Can you boot from that?

kingmet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2019
i left the old hard drive in the new computer because I've been using it for a couple months.

All I did was take out the hard drive from the old computer and connected it to the new computer with a SATA cable to USB.

I only pulled the hard drive out of the computer. I didn't put it in a case. and I didn't hook it up to a power source.
[doublepost=1568574710][/doublepost]
Do you feel better about yourself now?
[doublepost=1568535820][/doublepost]

i left the old hard drive in the new computer because I've been using it for a couple months.

All I did was take out the hard drive from the old computer and connected it to the new computer with a SATA cable to USB.

I only pulled the hard drive out of the computer. I didn't put it in a case. and I didn't hook it up to a power source.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Now I am more confused...
Just so I understand:
You didn't remove anything from the new computer, just attached the hard drive that you removed from your old computer, and connected to the NEW computer using a simple USB-SATA adapter cable.
So, I can ask for the same information again... How does it happen that your OLD hard drive appears as an INTERNAL device? And, related to that, where is the original internal drive - the drive that came installed in your new computer?
Did you (somehow) either disconnect that one, or completely remove it?
(I am just really curious why THAT drive (which again, is the drive that your new computer came with) does not appear in Disk Utility?
And, can you discover an answer to my OTHER questions?: What is on that other drive, the one named macOS? and, Can you boot from THAT drive?

kingmet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2019
Now I am more confused...
Just so I understand:
You didn't remove anything from the new computer, just attached the hard drive that you removed from your old computer, and connected to the NEW computer using a simple USB-SATA adapter cable.
So, I can ask for the same information again... How does it happen that your OLD hard drive appears as an INTERNAL device? And, related to that, where is the original internal drive - the drive that came installed in your new computer?
Did you (somehow) either disconnect that one, or completely remove it?
(I am just really curious why THAT drive (which again, is the drive that your new computer came with) does not appear in Disk Utility?
And, can you discover an answer to my OTHER questions?: What is on that other drive, the one named macOS? and, Can you boot from THAT drive?

I removed nothing from the new computer. Mac OS is the new computer Old hard drive is the hard drive i took out of the old computer. ALL I DID WAS THIS... "didn't remove anything from the new computer, just attached the hard drive that you removed from your old computer, and connected to the NEW computer using a simple USB-SATA adapter cable."

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
OK (?)
I find it strange that your macOS drive is reported as a partition on your LITEON SSD, and that the LITEON SSD is listed as an internal drive - despite the fact that it is attached to your USB to SATA adapter (and therefore would be an external drive.)

Go to your Apple menu, then About This Mac. Click on the Storage tab.
Post a screenshot of that Storage window, please.

Click on the Overview tab, then click on the System Report button.
Select SATA/SATA Express from the list on the left.
Screenshot, please.
And, select Storage.
And, screenshot...
Same with the Thunderbolt window.

kingmet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2019
Much better thanks, and thank you for caring.:D
lol
[doublepost=1568588540][/doublepost]
OK (?)
I find it strange that your macOS drive is reported as a partition on your LITEON SSD, and that the LITEON SSD is listed as an internal drive - despite the fact that it is attached to your USB to SATA adapter (and therefore would be an external drive.)

Go to your Apple menu, then About This Mac. Click on the Storage tab.
Post a screenshot of that Storage window, please.

Click on the Overview tab, then click on the System Report button.
Select SATA/SATA Express from the list on the left.
Screenshot, please.
And, select Storage.
And, screenshot...
Same with the Thunderbolt window.

Just so you know my hard drive from the old computer isn't hooked up right now. I don't know if that makes a difference.

Attachments

• Storage 2.jpg
    Storage 2.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 131
  • storage.jpg
    storage.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 138
  • thunderbolt.jpg
    thunderbolt.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 143

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Yes, it makes a difference. The odd configuration shows up when your old drive is attached. I had suspected that your old drive was doing that, but when it is not connected, your drive setup appears normal.

Who installed that LITEON brand SSD in your iMac? The seller?

I think it would be amazing if you could show the same screenshots (don't need the thunderbolt, just the other two) with the old drive attached. (That's really what I was hoping for, as that may show you why you are having a problem reading the files on that old drive, assuming that's possible)

kingmet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2019
Yes, it makes a difference. The odd configuration shows up when your old drive is attached. I had suspected that your old drive was doing that, but when it is not connected, your drive setup appears normal.

Who installed that LITEON brand SSD in your iMac? The seller?

I think it would be amazing if you could show the same screenshots (don't need the thunderbolt, just the other two) with the old drive attached. (That's really what I was hoping for, as that may show you why you are having a problem reading the files on that old drive, assuming that's possible)

So even without the case and power source, just using the sata cable, I can still possibly get my stuff off there

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Yes, exactly right.
Your old hard drive is attached to an SATA connector, which is that external cable, correct?
And that cable then plugs in to a USB port on your "new" iMac. (still correct?)
What happens now when you plug in your OLD hard drive? How does THAT show up in your Disk Utility now, and how does it appear in the other System Information screens that you posted already with only the internal drive showing?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.