Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Giuanniello

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 21, 2012
Capri - Italy
I have two MacMini from 2007, one has been upgraded to a Core 2 Duo CPU, 3GB RAM and 500GB HD, OS is, if I recall correct, 10.5, clean install and almost unused, would like to hook it up to a TV via a DVI to HDMI cable (it works very well actually) and use it to store my FLAC collection to be streamed to my stereo via an external DAC (either through USB or Optical) and, eventually, as a DVD player.

Dunno which software could I use to play FLAC files (not supported by iTunes nor can I find and old version of, say, Audirvana) and how could I use an iPhone as a remote without to have to turn the TV on each and every time I wanna play music (even tho it's not as bad as it seems but still won't want to have to have a mouse connected permanently).

Any suggestion?

Grazie

Kaspin

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2015
Do you need to keep FLAC? If your music library is just going to be played on Apple devices, consider converting to ALAC (Apple Lossless) using XLD

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
VLC can play those .flac files and is great for movies, home videos etc

not as good for managing your music library as iTunes - but you can make VLC / .m3u playlists with the .flac files if you don't want to convert them.

if you want a great easy to use software for all kinds of audio and video formats - Permute is my favorite

casperghst42

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2006
ALAC and FLAC are more or less inter changeable when it comes to quality. But if you rip new CD's (use XLD) I'd suggest AIFF - which can be converted into ALAC or FLAC if needed be without quality loss.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.