Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boltjames

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 2, 2010
I remember at the Keynote it was mentioned that iOS 13 would allow Siri and Apple Music to recognize the voices of different users and thus give us each a different experience when we use devices such as the HomePod. My wife likes Abba, I like Oasis, we each get our likes and our most listened to songs separately and don’t have each other’s different musical tastes affect the random songs offered up to us at any given moment.

Can you tell me how to make this happen? How can two different users on the same family plan using the same Apple ID start to have Siri recognize our voices individually and recommend content that is different if we have severely different musical tastes?

Thanks.

boltjames

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 2, 2010
Not released yet.. it’s a HomePod update that will release “later this fall”.

Thank you so much, I did not realize it was a trailing update.

Is it in beta? And if so are there any beta testers out there who can advise on how this all works?

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
How it will work: your iPhone's Siri knows your voice. When the update is live, you're iPhone will ask if it can transfer your voice's profile to the HomePod. Same on your wife's iPhone. When this is done the HomePod will (should?) know who is talking to it.

boltjames

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 2, 2010
How it will work: your iPhone's Siri knows your voice. When the update is live, you're iPhone will ask if it can transfer your voice's profile to the HomePod. Same on your wife's iPhone. When this is done the HomePod will (should?) know who is talking to it.

Thanks!

But over the last year, every morning my wife has been calling up Abba and Maroon 5 on the HomePod whereas every morning I have been calling up Black Sabbath and Jimi Hendrix. So once this new way for Siri to identify us goes live will it have a look-back into our history of very different plays and assign the right ones to each of us? Or do I have to live with overlap of her mom pop and my dad rock? Or perhaps a command like "assign artists like this to dad"?

nrvna76

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2010
Thanks!

But over the last year, every morning my wife has been calling up Abba and Maroon 5 on the HomePod whereas every morning I have been calling up Black Sabbath and Jimi Hendrix. So once this new way for Siri to identify us goes live will it have a look-back into our history of very different plays and assign the right ones to each of us? Or do I have to live with overlap of her mom pop and my dad rock? Or perhaps a command like "assign artists like this to dad"?

I assume it will be on a go forward basis.. it won’t have known who said what before you’ve assigned voice profiles. You could have turned off HomePod history a while ago to have it not save...

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I hope this eliminates the need to authenticate secure HomeKit accessories on the iPhone when controlling from the HomePod.

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
Thanks!

Assuming you aren't sharing one Apple ID and Apple Music profile; the HomePod will tap into the preferences of the person asking for music. It will also use the persons Apple ID for personal requests (phone calls, iMessage, notes, etc).
We have an Apple Music Family subscription and our own profile so should work fine in our home when the update hits.

Reactions: ohio.emt

That70sGAdawg

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2008
Athens, GA USA
I love this idea, it is 2019 so it should be possible. However, I still get random waking up of the HomePods when nobody has said the word "Siri"so I have my doubts. Apple really needs to hire some more people for HomePod software integration. it's a great idea & would be unbelievable if it only worked right

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
I love this idea, it is 2019 so it should be possible. However, I still get random waking up of the HomePods when nobody has said the word "Siri"so I have my doubts. Apple really needs to hire some more people for HomePod software integration. it's a great idea & would be unbelievable if it only worked right

All these home assistants have the same problem. It isn’t just Apple. My Alexa is always accidentally triggering, as is my Google Home. I think it’s going to be a long time before they’re completely infallible.

GIZBUG

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2006
Chicago, IL
Wife and I both have profiles, and have sharing enabled on phones/homepod.
I can say "Hey siri whats on my calendar" and she gives me an answer.
My wife says the same things and Siri says "Who's this?" " I don't recognize you, before configure home on your phone."
Its configured correctly, just doesn't work as advertised. Maybe 13.2.1 will fix it eventually.

Reactions: CreamEggBear

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
My wife says the same things and Siri says "Who's this?" " I don't recognize you, before configure home on your phone."
Its configured correctly, just doesn't work as advertised. Maybe 13.2.1 will fix it eventually.

You both are listed in the home.app? And your HomePod got updated to 13.2 in the small window the update was available?

That70sGAdawg

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2008
Athens, GA USA
All these home assistants have the same problem. It isn’t just Apple. My Alexa is always accidentally triggering, as is my Google Home. I think it’s going to be a long time before they’re completely infallible.
I've heard that. The reason we chose HomePods was our Apple integration & the fact that Google gets called out all the time for breaching privacy limits on their speakers.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
How can two different users on the same family plan using the same Apple ID...
Every individual should have their own AppleID. Family sharing is what lets different individuals (with different AppleIDs) share purchases.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England

Confirmed. Looks like I’ve got the same problem. Two users set up in the home app and the HomePod thinks both are me. I am the home account and the other user within my home app has Siri recognising the voice but not selected, nor selectable. And they don’t have the option in their home app at all.

Last edited:

CreamEggBear

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2016
Burham

Same problem here mate.

YourDamnCroissants

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2019
Boston, MA
Do you have to be in the same family sharing? (Same family? Not sure what it’s called?)

My second user is in the HomeKit Home and Family Sharing — I’m both Family Organizer and owner of the Home, and yet

We still have this exact issue.

esf215

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2013
I got mine to work by unplugging the HomePod for a few second and plugging it back it. I also toggle off the recognize my voice on my wife home app

Edit. I meant to mention that my hompods are on the 13.2 I was lucky enough to not have them bricked. Finger crossed

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.