Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dBeats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
So I had to not only remove the homepods from my home, reset them, install them back into my home, but then finally realized that the Siri language settings were MISSING from the homepod settings. Tried a ton of stuff, but I think what worked was disabling Siri completely on the homepods, erasing Siri history on the homepods, restarting them (not resetting again), enabling Siri on the HomePod setting and finally I saw the language and voice choice on my homepods again. Multi user support worked from that point. No joke, I spent hours on this to finally get it working. Not the best user experience I’ve ever had. ?

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
So I had to not only remove the homepods from my home, reset them, install them back into my home, but then finally realized that the Siri language settings were MISSING from the homepod settings. Tried a ton of stuff, but I think what worked was disabling Siri completely on the homepods, erasing Siri history on the homepods, restarting them (not resetting again), enabling Siri on the HomePod setting and finally I saw the language and voice choice on my homepods again. Multi user support worked from that point. No joke, I spent hours on this to finally get it working. Not the best user experience I’ve ever had. ?
Well, that’s something I haven’t tried yet. I’ll give that a whirl. Still, this smells so much of a bad update that needs fixing.

follow up: didn’t work for me.

Last edited:

stgeorge602

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2018
Finally got my HomePod to recognize my wife's voice and mine.

I reset everything associated with my Home app and the Homepod. Unfortunately, when I tried to reconnect my LifX Z light strips, Siri was unable to control them. In both the Home and LifX Apps they are paired and I can control them through the apps but voice control is not working.

I've tried resetting the light strips multiple times and still a no-go. I'll try again later when I get home.

tbone7467

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2007
I called apple about my issue with personal requests, they are tracking a bug right now. I was told that I met all the criteria and to keep and eye out for an update to be released soon. I would suggest calling support to show there is a wider issue.

Reactions: nwcs

digduggler

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
Add me to the doesn't work crowd. Works for me, but won't for my wife (and she's very tired of me trying things and making her come in the room and say 'Hey Siri who is this?' and being told 'I don't know who this is').

I'm not resetting everything under the sun for this feature, I wish they would just make it work.

chino-rican

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
Virginia
Add me to the doesn't work crowd. Works for me, but won't for my wife (and she's very tired of me trying things and making her come in the room and say 'Hey Siri who is this?' and being told 'I don't know who this is').

I'm not resetting everything under the sun for this feature, I wish they would just make it work.
Spent a few minutes trying to fix the same issue. I simply told my wife "it won't work, other people are having issues." She insisted I keep trying. The first thing I did was turn off Hey Siri on her phone and retrain with her voice. Then I removed her from the Home app and re-sent her an invite. Accepted on her phone and tried again. Everything works now. Persistence paid off this time.

CamiMR

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Spent a few minutes trying to fix the same issue. I simply told my wife "it won't work, other people are having issues." She insisted I keep trying. The first thing I did was turn off Hey Siri on her phone and retrain with her voice. Then I removed her from the Home app and re-sent her an invite. Accepted on her phone and tried again. Everything works now. Persistence paid off this time.

Tried that already when the software update came out, didn’t work for her...
Have spent enough time trying to make it work, resigned to wait for the next update, and maybe then it just works?

digduggler

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007

This is one of the steps I actually tried, and it did not work for me. I've tried quite a bit actually, but I'm not going to reset the HomePods (or my Home app).

digduggler

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
Anyone try since the update today?

Edit: Updated my iPhone, my wife's iPhone, both HomePods, uninvited her from the Home, reset the HomePods, re-invited her (and turned on recognize my voice and personal requests) and the damn thing still doesn't work.

Last edited:

robertpolson

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2011
Installed the latest update. Toggled various settings on and off. When I ask Siri who I am, she recognizes me. However, it cannot play any of my iTunes Match music playlists.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Resurrecting an old thread.. does this work for you folks yet?
Didnt re-read the whole thread but to answer the thread title, yes, it has been working for my wife and I. Sometimes Siri goes full on dumb and asks who is speaking but just saying our name she will then recognize us again.

Reactions: Mikeyde1989

Mind The Mac

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2009
Didnt re-read the whole thread but to answer the thread title, yes, it has been working for my wife and I. Sometimes Siri goes full on dumb and asks who is speaking but just saying our name she will then recognize us again.
I have found this too, that by saying who you are, as in “Hey Siri this is <insert name>, what’s the time?“ or similar, has resolved identifying each user. Do this a couple of times, and then ask “Hey Siri, who am I” and you hopefully get the correct answer. It seems to have worked on my two HomePods, since the feature was first introduced. I sometimes do this after an update also.

CamiMR

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
What error are you getting or what does it do when you try?

HomePods have always recognised me, but never my partner. Had long call with Apple Support, had already tried all the troubleshooting they suggested, but did it again anyway, still no luck...
The agent said it was a known issue, even called me after 13.5 was released to see if it was fixed, but still a no go...

CamiMR

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
I have found this too, that by saying who you are, as in “Hey Siri this is , what’s the time?“ or similar, has resolved identifying each user. Do this a couple of times, and then ask “Hey Siri, who am I” and you hopefully get the correct answer. It seems to have worked on my two HomePods, since the feature was first introduced. I sometimes do this after an update also.

Will try this, but not holding my breath...

CamiMR

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
I have found this too, that by saying who you are, as in “Hey Siri this is , what’s the time?“ or similar, has resolved identifying each user. Do this a couple of times, and then ask “Hey Siri, who am I” and you hopefully get the correct answer. It seems to have worked on my two HomePods, since the feature was first introduced. I sometimes do this after an update also.

My partner has been doing this a few times a day for the last couple of days, but unfortunately it still doesn’t recognise her...
Maybe it will work with iOS 14

Mind The Mac

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2009
My partner has been doing this a few times a day for the last couple of days, but unfortunately it still doesn’t recognise her...
Maybe it will work with iOS 14
Thanks for the feedback, albeit an unsuccessful outcome. Hope it gets remedied soon.

nrvna76

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2010
So... up to 14.1, they are adding features like intercom. Does this work for all of you yet? I cannot for the life of me get it to recognize my wife. I am going to have to record her saying “Hey Siri, who am I” because I’m sure she won’t do it more than one more time....

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
So... up to 14.1, they are adding features like intercom. Does this work for all of you yet? I cannot for the life of me get it to recognize my wife. I am going to have to record her saying “Hey Siri, who am I” because I’m sure she won’t do it more than one more time....
Make sure your wife goes into Home settings and enables recognize my voice and that personal requests are enabled for each HomePod.

CamiMR

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Each HomePod update I hope it starts recognising my partner, but it never does...
A couple of months ago gave our daughter an iPod, and it recognises her perfectly!
I’m starting to think it’s an issue with my partner’s iCloud account...

JochemvdMeer

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2021
Hi guys, not sure if you're still having this issue but I created an account on this site just to respond to this Thread. I've just purchased a HomePod and was struggling with this exact same thing for two hours, almost throwing the HomePod out of the window, untill I read @CamiMR's last comment that pushed me in the right direction, thanks a lot!

So I immediately saw what the problem was when I did this:

Settings -> 'click on your name' -> iCloud -> Scroll down to Siri

Turns out Siri never sent my trained voice to iCloud! So the HomePod obviously couldn't pick it up. I turned it on and it works flawlessly now. I hope this helps you set it up for you, it did for me at least.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.