Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

Not really surprising considering the 7T carries forward just about every aspect of the 7 Pro yet is cheaper.

I personally find the 7T more appealing, even if they were the same price. I’ll gladly take the small teardrop notch over the pop up camera and absolutely welcome a flat display.

ramram55

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
Some will say Oneplus 7T money will go to support their government.

OnePlus 7T vs. Galaxy Note 10: Which should you buy?

scottcampbell

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2017
Hey guys,
I just pulled the trigger on a OnePlus 7 Pro via Facebook marketplace. It will be coming in the mail fairly soon (barring any scams, though I am covered, would just be hassle).

This one will be for my wife, since her iPhone SE is holding on to life by a thread.

I'll need to overwrite the Tmobile software with international software—something very much outside my wheelhouse. Wish me luck!

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
That event was awful. OnePlus should be embarrassed. It reminded me of the presentations I used to sit through in high school—boring, unprepared, forced, awkward, and so on. Even the founders looked and sounded bored. It was miserable. They had a ton of mic issues as well.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Why did they split the announcements?

Ugh missed things and I'm at work. Will be a bit before I can watch and catch up on things (provided no more 5 hour power outages like last night! ? )

USA availability and upgraded camera? Or do I box this thing also?

scottcampbell

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2017
A OnePlus 7 pro arrived at my home today. I'm upgrading my wife's SE.

Here's my checklist (for anyone who is curious or has advice):
  • Carrier unlock the T-mobile phone
  • Plug phone into PC, convert T-mobile software to International version
  • Turn iMessage and FaceTime settings off on iPhone SE
  • Pop out the Verizon SIM from the iPhone and insert it into OnePlus
  • Have Verizon set up her line as CDMA-less
  • Install GCam
All new to me (I've never even opened a sim tray before) so I'm excited and a little nervous.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
A OnePlus 7 pro arrived at my home today. I'm upgrading my wife's SE.

Here's my checklist (for anyone who is curious or has advice):
  • Carrier unlock the T-mobile phone
  • Plug phone into PC, convert T-mobile software to International version
  • Turn iMessage and FaceTime settings off on iPhone SE
  • Install GCam
All new to me (I've never even opened a sim tray before) so I'm excited and a little nervous.

Sounds exciting, keep us posted and good luck

scottcampbell

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2017
OP7P Update:

Done
✅ Plug phone into PC, convert T-mobile software to International version (fairly easy, and saved me about $50 compared to buying the international version)
✅ Turn iMessage and FaceTime settings off on iPhone SE
✅ Install Flight Icon pack so all apps have a nice, flat, white icon scheme. Can't believe how nice you can make it look.
✅ Apply glass screen protector

Still Need to
• Carrier unlock the T-mobile phone (the seller neglected to do this. Not for nefarious reasons but because he hadn't sold a phone before, and though he paid it off, he needed to take the extra step and use the Unlock app and request a permanent unlock before mailing it to me. He should be remedying the situation today)
• Install GCam
• Receive case in the mail, protect this $500 piece of slippery glass

My impressions
Even though I got to try the phone out in a store, I was still blown away by the size of the phone. It's a phablet. Also amazed by the silky smoothness of the screen.
I had started to get worried about the curved edges after hearing so many complaints, or people citing it as the reason not to buy the 7 Pro. But my worries dissolved. It's not like the display is curved, really, it's just that the edges are curved glass. I didn't get the sense of any real distortion or anything like that.
Definitely jealous of my wife for getting this phone, but she needs it more than me. :)

Reactions: Harthag

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
OP7P Update:

Done
✅ Plug phone into PC, convert T-mobile software to International version (fairly easy, and saved me about $50 compared to buying the international version)
✅ Turn iMessage and FaceTime settings off on iPhone SE
✅ Install Flight Icon pack so all apps have a nice, flat, white icon scheme. Can't believe how nice you can make it look.
✅ Apply glass screen protector

Still Need to
• Carrier unlock the T-mobile phone (the seller neglected to do this. Not for nefarious reasons but because he hadn't sold a phone before, and though he paid it off, he needed to take the extra step and use the Unlock app and request a permanent unlock before mailing it to me. He should be remedying the situation today)
• Install GCam
• Receive case in the mail, protect this $500 piece of slippery glass

My impressions
Even though I got to try the phone out in a store, I was still blown away by the size of the phone. It's a phablet. Also amazed by the silky smoothness of the screen.
I had started to get worried about the curved edges after hearing so many complaints, or people citing it as the reason not to buy the 7 Pro. But my worries dissolved. It's not like the display is curved, really, it's just that the edges are curved glass. I didn't get the sense of any real distortion or anything like that.
Definitely jealous of my wife for getting this phone, but she needs it more than me. :)

you might already know this, but in order to sim unlock it, you'll have to be on the T-Mobile firmware. At least that's what I've read on XDA when I was researching this exact same thing. It's because it can only be unlocked with the T-Mobile unlock app that comes on the T-Mobile firmware (unless something has changed recently). so the steps there are to get T-Mobile to unlock it (DM via twitter @TMobileHelp) and then run the sim unlock app and choose "permanent unlock".

Glad your liking the phone! I loved my time with the phone, I just wish it was a bit smaller.

Reactions: scottcampbell

scottcampbell

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2017
My wife and I got her OnePlus 7 Pro all up and running over the weekend.

I think it's a good time to buy, with the 7T Pro announced and barely improved.

It's an awesome phone! She's having a really hard time adjusting to Android, so although the hardware is blowing her away, it might just not stick for her.

In which case the phone will come to me :p So, I don't mind.

Reactions: MarkX

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I have an iPhone 11 Pro and there’s still something that is drawing me back to the 7 Pro. I honestly think it’s one of my favorite phones ever.

If I could easily pick up the McLaren 7T Pro in the USA I would probably jump on it.

Reactions: Tig Bitties

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 3, 2017
This phone with a flat display and wireless charging would be the best phone ever made for the vast majority of people. Camera isn’t the best, but there are tweaks and gcam to bump it up a bit. I just could not handle the curved edges.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 3, 2017
If the 7 Pro had a flat screen, and IP68 rating, and at least a better than halfway decent camera, I'd pick up one up immediately
All I wanted was flat screen from that list. The $399 OP3 is still the best deal I've ever had. Man that phone was solid

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Can anyone tell me if the DC dimming feature eliminates PWM on this phone?

I think it's either PWM or DC Dimming so yes it eliminate PWM. The screen flickers much less with DC Dimming and is much better for people sensitive to the PWM screen flickering. I read once it has downsides too but I'm not sure what they are.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.