Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gsmaniac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 3, 2014
I just purchased an Insignia homekit garage door opener. I would like to run a shortcut automation to automatically open the GD when I arrive home with a geofence. However the automation wants me to authenticate and confirm to run the automation when I arrive.
only issue is I motorbike home with my phone in my bag. So I cant authenticate on my phone.

how can I get around this?

Edit: update. I have found a workaround and have it working now.

Last edited:

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I see you have figured it out. The work around I use is to have a smart plug, Wemo Mini in my case, turn on and off with the location trigger. That plug turning on (for when I arrive home) is set to open the garage door which doesn’t require authentication. Same for leaving. Smart plug turns off when leaving which is set to close the garage door when the smart plug turns off.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I use Siri on my Apple Watch. It's always on. Of course that doesn't work if you don't have one...
That works too but he mentioned pulling up on a motorcycle. Depending on the gear the OP wears... gauntlet style gloves and long sleeves covering the watch and possibly a full face helmet plus the noise of a motorcycle might not be conducive for a good Siri watch experience. Bluetooth headsets, like the Sena one I use, allows Siri but requires you to press a button on the headset so not completely hands free.

Gsmaniac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 3, 2014
The workaround happens to be very similar to what was posted above.
I have set a geofenced automation to turn on the outside smart light when I arrive. Have a second automation that opens the GD when that light is turned on. It’s actually very handy as it means I don’t have to arrive home in the dark.

it’s only set to run at a set time each night at the usual time I arrive home so works perfectly.

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
Did iOS 13.3 change automations so they actually run automatically or is authentication still required?

d.steve

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2012
It would be really cool if it recognized which car I’m in (based on CarPlay) and only open the garage door if I was in the garaged car.

Totally the most important thing they could possibly be working on right now, amiright?;)

Oh. maybe Shortcuts if you have wireless CarPlay. on arrival home, get network name. If (car WiFi) then run scene. Can’t test this right now.

Gsmaniac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 3, 2014
iOS 13.3 hasn’t changed anything. Wish there was an opt out feature.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Apple needs to stop treating us like children and let us decide what needs to be authenticated and what doesn’t. Shortcuts automations are a huge fail with most triggers requiring authentication. I know CarPlay and NFC triggers don’t. Can’t even unlock my master bedroom closet with the HomePod sitting a few feet away from it on the same WiFi with my recognized voice, without unlocking my iPhone. Sheesh!
[automerge]1576101246[/automerge]
Did iOS 13.3 change automations so they actually run automatically or is authentication still required?
For anything requiring a secured entry like opening garage doors, unlocking smart locks etc... authentication is unfortunately required. Locking and closing does not. I believe it’s only for location based automations. I have a time based automation that opens my garage door on certain days and times for my cleaning lady and that works without authentication. The work arounds posted above by the OP and myself do work great though for location.

Last edited:

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
A lock on your closet???? I am afraid to ask.
Multiple reasons. I have a cleaning lady that comes twice a week and that’s where my valuables are stored. I also have firearms stored in a locked safe within that locked closet and I have two toddler kids. Why would you be afraid to ask? Is this really that weird? LOL.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.