Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wicked271

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2010
Philippines
Hi. Just wondering if there’s a setting for when opening a new thread, it will go directly to the first post? Before, it used to do that but now, every time I open new threads, it goes directly to the last post... sometimes its already the 2nd page.

Also, will the old page number format return? The one where when you click the next arrow, it will show the next 5 page numbers... I just find the new page numbers not so user friendly.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
You can click on the date of a thread and it will take you to the first post.

Last edited by a moderator:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Hi. Just wondering if there’s a setting for when opening a new thread, it will go directly to the first post? Before, it used to do that but now, every time I open new threads, it goes directly to the last post... sometimes its already the 2nd page.

Also, will the old page number format return? The one where when you click the next arrow, it will show the next 5 page numbers... I just find the new page numbers not so user friendly.
As I recall, even before the recent forum update/redesign, clicking/tapping on a thread would usually take you to the first unread post -- meaning if you haven't read the thread before you'd be taken to the first post, but if you have visited the thread before then you'd be taken to the first new post after the position you were in when you visited the thread last.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
As I recall, even before the recent forum update/redesign, clicking/tapping on a thread would usually take you to the first unread post -- meaning if you haven't read the thread before you'd be taken to the first post, but if you have visited the thread before then you'd be taken to the first new post after the position you were in when you visited the thread last.

This is how it’s supposed to work.

Reactions: Ralfi

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
It seems where this gets confusing is that all threads eventually gets marked read if they are old enough. I don’t recall the cutoff. But let’s say there’s a thread that started 2 months ago, and you never read it but when you first click into it now, it will take you to the “new” post since it marked it as “read”.

arn

Reactions: revmacian

wicked271

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2010
Philippines
It seems where this gets confusing is that all threads eventually gets marked read if they are old enough. I don’t recall the cutoff. But let’s say there’s a thread that started 2 months ago, and you never read it but when you first click into it now, it will take you to the “new” post since it marked it as “read”.

arn

thanks. This makes sense. I thought I might have forgotten opening some of the threads thats why it’s been going to the last post.

Any way to adjust this setting to still treat it as new no matter how long it was last started?

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
thanks. This makes sense. I thought I might have forgotten opening some of the threads thats why it’s been going to the last post.

Any way to adjust this setting to still treat it as new no matter how long it was last started?

It’s a global setting and it’s 30 days. It takes more storage to keep track of everyone so they cut it off at some reasonable limit.

Reactions: wicked271
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.