Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
im glad to see progress is being made with the Open Office project

but as was already said, when will it be aqua-fied and OS X native instead of X11?

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
...when someone from the OSX side decides to belly up to the challenge, and from what I can tell, a challenge is what it's going to be.

But, if they have a windows port that doesn't use X11, then perhaps there is some portability in the GUI, which may make it less of a challenge.

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
PlaceofDis said:
im glad to see progress is being made with the Open Office project

but as was already said, when will it be aqua-fied and OS X native instead of X11?
Have you tried:

http://trinity.neooffice.org/

It tracks OO fairly closely. Right now it's at 1.1.3. I'm not sure when it will catch up to OO 2.0, though. No X11 required. It uses OS X Java2D and does a good job, especially in the latest releases, integrating with OS X.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
daveL said:
Have you tried:

It tracks OO fairly closely. Right now it's at 1.1.3. I'm not sure when it will catch up to OO 2.0, though. No X11 required. It uses OS X Java2D and does a good job, especially in the latest releases, integrating with OS X.

ill keep an eye on neooffice thanks for the heads up daveL

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
PlaceofDis said:
ill keep an eye on neooffice thanks for the heads up daveL
To be precise, it's neooffice/J (1.1, currently). NeoOffice is the native OS X port that's been going nowhere fast, for a long time.

winmacguy

macrumors 68020
Nov 8, 2003
New Zealand
daveL said:
Have you tried:

We are starting to use it where I work. Looking to run it on about 15 Macs running 10.3
I use it a little bit although havent really played with it much since my job doesnt really require it. I use Indesign CS 99% of the time and Photoshop the other 1%

jakeOSX

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2005
NeoOffice going no where? Compared to the Native Aqua-version? (/sarcasm)

Here is how it is. Sun doesn't care about Mac OSX. Linux, Solaris and Windows will have native and supported versions of Oo_O.

Currently there are about 5 people who do care about Mac OSX. Three or so work to get the X11 builds up and running, and two (TWO!) work on the NeoOffice port.

Neo can natively print. It has access to OSX fonts. It has drag and drop between other programs, cut and paste. Native menu bars. Neo behaves more and more like a 'real' Mac program everyday. It is in constant developement.

NeoOffice IS the port of Oo_O for the Mac. There isn't going to be some magic one to come out of Sun. (Oh, and NeoOffice is more pure Oo_O than the windows version, code wise)

Will Neo upgrade to 2.0? We are hoping so. There will no doubt be an X11 version of Oo_O2.0. Will there be a native version? Time and resources allowing, the team plans to update Neo to 2.0.

Being open source is a blessing and a curse. It means anyone can modify code... but also means someone needs too. 2.0 can come to the Mac, and these are the people who are going to do it. So provide your support.

-j
(bias notice, i run the wiki for neooffice)

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
jakeOSX said:
NeoOffice going no where? Compared to the Native Aqua-version? (/sarcasm)

Here is how it is. Sun doesn't care about Mac OSX. Linux, Solaris and Windows will have native and supported versions of Oo_O.

Currently there are about 5 people who do care about Mac OSX. Three or so work to get the X11 builds up and running, and two (TWO!) work on the NeoOffice port.

Neo can natively print. It has access to OSX fonts. It has drag and drop between other programs, cut and paste. Native menu bars. Neo behaves more and more like a 'real' Mac program everyday. It is in constant developement.

NeoOffice IS the port of Oo_O for the Mac. There isn't going to be some magic one to come out of Sun. (Oh, and NeoOffice is more pure Oo_O than the windows version, code wise)

Will Neo upgrade to 2.0? We are hoping so. There will no doubt be an X11 version of Oo_O2.0. Will there be a native version? Time and resources allowing, the team plans to update Neo to 2.0.

Being open source is a blessing and a curse. It means anyone can modify code... but also means someone needs too. 2.0 can come to the Mac, and these are the people who are going to do it. So provide your support.

-j
(bias notice, i run the wiki for neooffice)
Well then, in my opinion, someone isn't doing a very good job. Are you telling me that there is no difference between NeoOffice and NeoOffice/J? I guess it's NeoOffice/C? The one with the last release in mid-2003? The non-Java one that has gone nowhere (which is what I was referring to, btw)? If NeoOffice=NeoOffice/J, then why don't you say so and drop the NeoOffice/C stuff. If you think the relationship between all these variants is clear to someone visiting the trinity.neoofice.org site, you're mistaken. From my point of view, NeoOffice/J is the only thing on the site that is viable and moving forward. If the OS X X11 support for OO is also part of NeoOffice, then that isn't clear, either. Just my opinion, mind you. I've always found the relationship between neoOffice/??? and OpenOffice to be complete opaque, at best.

jakeOSX

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2005
daveL said:
Well then, in my opinion, someone isn't doing a very good job. Are you telling me that there is no difference between NeoOffice and NeoOffice/J? I guess it's NeoOffice/C? The one with the last release in mid-2003? The non-Java one that has gone nowhere (which is what I was referring to, btw)? If NeoOffice=NeoOffice/J, then why don't you say so and drop the NeoOffice/C stuff. If you think the relationship between all these variants is clear to someone visiting the trinity.neoofice.org site, you're mistaken. From my point of view, NeoOffice/J is the only thing on the site that is viable and moving forward. If the OS X X11 support for OO is also part of NeoOffice, then that isn't clear, either. Just my opinion, mind you. I've always found the relationship between neoOffice/??? and OpenOffice to be complete opaque, at best.

Ah, that makes more sense. NeoOffice is the product name. There are two versions, the /C (cocoa) and /J (java) which are aqua implementations of OpenOffice.org.

/c is dead. The amount of work required to re-write the code to fit a cocoa framework would be a lot for a full team of programmers, much less two. Ed talked about that more on the forum.

/j is the current one. it may not be pretty, but it is as native OSX as /C wanted to be, and infinitly more stable.

as for the site, the hope is if you go to the main page (http://www.neooffice.org) it would be clearer. but i do understand, right now there are three sites sorta working together to be the neooffice website.

here is a breakdown of the 'variants'

http://neowiki.sixthcrusade.com/index.php/OpenOffice.org_and_its_Macintosh_ports

-j

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
jakeOSX said:
Ah, that makes more sense. NeoOffice is the product name. There are two versions, the /C (cocoa) and /J (java) which are aqua implementations of OpenOffice.org.

/c is dead. The amount of work required to re-write the code to fit a cocoa framework would be a lot for a full team of programmers, much less two. Ed talked about that more on the forum.

/j is the current one. it may not be pretty, but it is as native OSX as /C wanted to be, and infinitly more stable.

as for the site, the hope is if you go to the main page (http://www.neooffice.org) it would be clearer. but i do understand, right now there are three sites sorta working together to be the neooffice website.

here is a breakdown of the 'variants'

http://neowiki.sixthcrusade.com/index.php/OpenOffice.org_and_its_Macintosh_ports

-j
Thanks for the reply. Maybe you should bury, or at least hide, NeoOffice/C and promote NeoOffice/J as *the* NeoOffice. Just a suggestion, but I think it would make things a bit clearer to someone visiting the site for the first time. Anyway, all the work you folks have done is greatly appreciated!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.