Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Which OS is Your Main/Favorite One?

• Total voters

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017
Not complicated (just cd to the directory and type 'make install clean') but on a lower end machine its going to take a long time.

A good solution to speed up builds on old hardware is to setup distcc to use the parallel processing power of your other CPUs.

I have only had success in using matching architectures for this, so for example, a G3 host can use the processing power of G4s and G5s, but not an Intel. Either way, you can turn what could be an overnight compile into a few minutes with enough POWER.

If you match the GCC version (using Tigerbrew), you should be able to theoretically use distcc on an OS X PowerPC Mac to compile for a Linux/BSD PowerPC host.

My initial reason behind researching this was to allow my 1st Gen AppleTV to use the 8 cores in my Mac Pro to compile packages under OSMC/Debian in minutes instead of days :)

ctJunkman

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2017
Connecticut
A good solution to speed up builds on old hardware is to setup distcc to use the parallel processing power of your other CPUs.

I have only had success in using matching architectures for this, so for example, a G3 host can use the processing power of G4s and G5s, but not an Intel. Either way, you can turn what could be an overnight compile into a few minutes with enough POWER.

If you match the GCC version (using Tigerbrew), you should be able to theoretically use distcc on an OS X PowerPC Mac to compile for a Linux/BSD PowerPC host.

My initial reason behind researching this was to allow my 1st Gen AppleTV to use the 8 cores in my Mac Pro to compile packages under OSMC/Debian in minutes instead of days :)

Wow that is neat.

Playing with NetBSD 8.0BETA now on the mac mini :)

Reactions: AphoticD

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
It seems MintPPC is no more, the last time I can find the site on the wayback machine is mid 2017, with the latest post being in 2013. Going to the URL without the wayback goes to a completely unrelated site, that appears to be a marketing scam.

timidpimpin

Suspended
Nov 10, 2018
Cascadia
The original post of this thread groups BSD with Linux. BSD is UNIX - not Linux. Totally different things.

Last edited:

trevor12

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2015
Is now any linux distro that still support ppc with lastest kernel security patches etc. ? Newest I found was lubuntu from 2014.

Krieger

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2014

Hmm. I wonder what would happen if you were to try that with a modern POWER-based system on the network, such as a Talos II or Blackbird (Raptor Computing Systems is the company, and these are EATX and Micro-ATX boards, respectively, that are compatible with POWER9).

Maybe some of you have noticed the OpenSource POWER mainboard from RaptorCS
https://www.raptorcs.com

Here is the blog from Cameron Kaiser (TenFourFox):
https://www.talospace.com

Here is a big list of operating systems for PowerPC:
http://bgafc.t-hosting.hu/oses4ppc.php

Oh, you beat me to it. :)

Reactions: AphoticD

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
Updated the Linux section, though frankly, the entire wiki needs to be completely overhauled.

Maybe someone can do that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raging Dufus

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
I took those out because to my understanding, OpenBSD specifically has better compatibility with PowerPC machines. If somebody new waltzes in and chooses one, they might not know how to compile anything.

First post says:

For future reference, I thought it would be a good idea to have a list of all of the operating systems that we can put on our PowerPC Macs.

No matter how "newbie-unfriendly" FreeBSD and NetBSD might be, they fit the description. But do as you please.

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
Added the other 'buntu derivatives...

The 16.04 desktop images are terrible. The server image is far more up-to-date, fixed various bugs present in the desktop images (when both have DEs installed), and the installation guides here are specifically targeted for the text-based installers, and carefully walk you through each process. Plus, considering MATE 16.04 drops support as of today (if I recall), you'll need to change the repos to be updated. And besides that, they're all the exact same operating system, simply with a different desktop environment attached by default.

I'm just saying, this is not a good idea.

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
The 16.04 desktop images are terrible. The server image is far more up-to-date, fixed various bugs present in the desktop images (when both have DEs installed), and the installation guides here are specifically targeted for the text-based installers, and carefully walk you through each process. Plus, considering MATE 16.04 drops support as of today (if I recall), you'll need to change the repos to be updated. And besides that, they're all the exact same operating system, simply with a different desktop environment attached by default.

I'm just saying, this is not a good idea.

I removed them. If anything changes (new repo information, etc.), we can always re-add them.

galgot

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2015
Tired of searching for the Rhapsody -> to Leopard Threads each time I need it, I've added links for these in the first post of this pinned thread.

Reactions: philgxxd and z970

Dilli

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2019
I have my PowerBook G4 1.33Ghz in immaculate condition running Tiger. The only upgrade I did is switch the mechanical IDE drive to SSD IDE drive of 120GB. All works well except can't watch Youtube or stream videos.

Could anyone tell me if I can retain my existing OS partition and install another good OS . I don't want to throw this Mercedes of laptop.

Last edited:

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
I have my PowerBook G4 1.33Ghz in immaculate condition running Tiger. The only upgrade I did is switch the mechanical IDE drive to SSD IDE drive of 120GB. All works well except any watch Youtube or stream videos.

Could anyone tell me if I can retain my existing OS partition and install another good OS . I don't want to throw this Mercedes of laptop.
Yes. If you use Disk Utility you can partition the hard drive and install an OS on the second partition without touching the first one. There are plenty of guides online of how to do this.

If you have an OS X Leopard disk I would recommend using it for Disk Utility, I've heard Tiger Disk Utility can cause some undesired corruption.

Reactions: Dilli

Dilli

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2019
Yes. If you use Disk Utility you can partition the hard drive and install an OS on the second partition without touching the first one. There are plenty of guides online of how to do this.

If you have an OS X Leopard disk I would recommend using it for Disk Utility, I've heard Tiger Disk Utility can cause some undesired corruption.
Tks for your prompt reply. Which alternate OS can I install which runs smooth and I can watch Youtube better and browse the net faster. I see many guides on various OS but nothing seems perfect. Linux has its own hassles of sound etc not working.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.