Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Surfer13134

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2010
Florida
So has anyone ordered from adorama for the 16in Macbook Pro? I ordered it from them due to the pretty killer deal they had with Appleinsider which saved a good chunk of change but also no sales tax which was nice as well, when I placed the order it said it ships within 7-10 business days which I thought was fine. Well 9 business days go by and I contact them and they tell me its now being drop shipped (Which is fine because now its directly from Apple) and it will arrive in the 2nd week of December.

I expressed to them how the listing only showed 7-10 business days and having a date in the 2nd week of December sucks especially since the Holidays are here and have traveling to do but they couldn't say anymore. I then asked if they could provide me with the Apple Order # so I can directly check the status with Apple so I know approximately when they will get here and they said they couldn't share that info because they were the customer to Apple and not me.......

The last question I asked is if they atleast could let me know if I need to sign for the MBP when it arrives and again had no idea. So far I have been very displeased with adorama and how they have handled my order. Does anyone know of anyway of checking Apple site for an order number? Or how true is the delivery estimates with Apple? I know Apple always overestimates deliver dates, my fear as ive read from other users in the past adorama doesnt update the status with a tracking number and I completely miss the package. Thanks for any help!

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
You have a wall of text which makes reading hard - I recommend for a better experience to use the enter key to break up your post.

Regarding the content, from what I can gather, you're annoyed that adorama pushed the shipping date too much. I've heard that regarding Adorama, so I can't say that I'm surprised.

You don't have an apple order #, you bought it from Adorama, not apple.

Surfer13134

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2010
Florida
You have a wall of text which makes reading hard - I recommend for a better experience to use the enter key to break up your post.

Regarding the content, from what I can gather, you're annoyed that adorama pushed the shipping date too much. I've heard that regarding Adorama, so I can't say that I'm surprised.

You don't have an apple order #, you bought it from Adorama, not apple.

I know I bought it from adorama but I was hoping they could provide the Apple order number so I could check the order myself so I could see when it goes to the preparing to ship phase, then ship etc..

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I know I bought it from adorama but I was hoping they could provide the Apple order number so I could check the order myself so I could see when it goes to the preparing to ship phase, then ship etc..
They buy the laptops in bulk, not onsey-twosie like how consumers do. They really don't have a order number that relates directly to your single laptop

Reactions: Glockworkorange

Psyclism

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
I'm in the same boat. Pinged customer support Wednesday and was told my estimated delivery date was the second week of December. I was *really* hoping that the Apple $200 card was valid for the 16" this year so that I could order directly from Apple instead without having to pay $400+ more for the honor.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I would never order from Adorama, B&H and others because of their return policy. Here is Adorama's (underlining is mine). So unwrap the laptop and no returns to the seller.

Following items cannot be returned once opened

Software, Film, Paper, DVDs, Bulbs, flash tubes, Batteries, Ink cartridges, Notebooks, Netbooks, Tablets, iPads and Computers, Memory cards, any item which has been removed from its "blister-pack".

I will buy directly from Apple and pay a few dollars more.

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
I would never order from Adorama, B&H and others because of their return policy. Here is Adorama's (underlining is mine). So unwrap the laptop and no returns to the seller.

Software, Film, Paper, DVDs, Bulbs, flash tubes, Batteries, Ink cartridges, Notebooks, Netbooks, Tablets, iPads and Computers, Memory cards, any item which has been removed from its "blister-pack".

Unless it was defective ?

Reactions: Ener Ji

Surfer13134

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2010
Florida

I saw that, They told me if it was defective they would handle the return/replacement. I understand that policy, I work for bestbuy part time still and you would be surprised how many people come in and buy computers just to return them a few hours later because they didnt like it and want to try a different one. Bestbuy did at one time have a restocking fee on computers but they lost to much sales so they eliminated it. I have seen multiple times where people will use us as a rental service to try out laptops and go through 6 different computers all of which to do a final return and end up buying from places like Adorama or BH where they dont have to pay tax. Hell a few months ago I sold some guy 4 different high end laptops and I was so happy because the sale totaled close to $10K so my numbers were looking really good, that night my manger pulled me aside and asked me why this customer returned the 4 computers and asked if I told the customer the wrong thing to make him return them, luckily the section manager was there to vouch for me. Turns out this guy was some Youtuber that just made a quick video comparing these 4 laptops specs and got bench marks then went back and returned all 4 computers for a full refund. So yea when smaller companies have a no return policy for opened computers I totally understand why.

Last edited:

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I saw that, They told me if it was defective they would handle the return/replacement. I understand that policy, I work for bestbuy part time still and you would be surprised how many people come in and buy computers just to return them a few hours later because they didnt like it and want to try a different one. Bestbuy did at one time have a restocking fee on computers but they lost to much sales so they eliminated it. I have seen multiple times where people will use us as a rental service to try out laptops and go through 6 different computers all of which to do a final return and end up buying from places like Adorama or BH where they dont have to pay tax. Hell a few months ago I sold some guy 4 different high end laptops and I was so happy because the sale totaled close to $10K so my numbers were looking really good, that night my manger pulled me aside and asked me why this customer returned the 4 computers and asked if I told the customer the wrong thing to make him return them, luckily the section manager was there to vouch for me. Turns out this guy was some Youtuber that just made a quick video comparing these 4 laptops specs and got bench marks then went back and returned all 4 computers for a full refund. So yea when smaller companies have a no return policy for opened computers I totally understand why.

You definitely see stories on these forums about people return multiple computers. Glad to see the sales guys benefit from this behavior. And it is also explains the no return policies of some retailers.

Psyclism

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
I specifically asked customer service via chat if some of the "non-critical" issues that are being reported, like dim screens, coil whine, short battery life, etc would qualify for an exchange, and was told unequivocally those would be. Have record of the conversation in case I need to escalate to my credit card company.

Ener Ji

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2010
You definitely see stories on these forums about people return multiple computers. Glad to see the sales guys benefit from this behavior. And it is also explains the no return policies of some retailers.

Why would you think sales people benefit from this behavior? I'm sure they don't! If someone returns the laptop I bet they deduct the amount from the sales person.

Reactions: PlayUltimate

mightyjabba

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2014
Tatooine
For what it's worth I ordered mine from Adorama and it arrived surprisingly quickly. I'm surprised about that entry in their return policy, because I was considering returning mine when I was having a lot of trouble getting it to work with my desktop setup. I even went so far as to print a return label and they didn't mention anything about it. I'm not sure what would have happened if I had returned it, since I had obviously opened it.

Surfer13134

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2010
Florida
Why would you think sales people benefit from this behavior? I'm sure they don't! If someone returns the laptop I bet they deduct the amount from the sales person.
You are correct,we don’t get commission at bestbuy but they do track our sales numbers and dependent on that determines our hours, promotions, and sometime Bonuses. But if a customer returns the items we loose that sale.
[automerge]1575059658[/automerge]
For what it's worth I ordered mine from Adorama and it arrived surprisingly quickly. I'm surprised about that entry in their return policy, because I was considering returning mine when I was having a lot of trouble getting it to work with my desktop setup. I even went so far as to print a return label and they didn't mention anything about it. I'm not sure what would have happened if I had returned it, since I had obviously opened it.
I’m almost thinking it’s one of those policies where they have it on the site for people that abuse return policies but may not enforce it?

Surfer13134

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2010
Florida
So I contacted Adorama yesterday to check the status of my order because it said it would ship 7-10 business days from my order date, Of course they said it was still delayed and said it would arrive the 2nd week of December but they said not to worry I would get an email from them right away that will let me know it shipped and have a tracking number. Fast forward today I hear the doorbell ring around 630 and its DHL, Thinking it was just some stuff I ordered online he asked me to sign for the package and I bring it in and guess what??? Its my freaking macbook!!!!!! It shipped straight from China to me, Luckily I was home. I contacted Adorama and according to them the computer hasnt even shipped yet. So anyone that ordered from them be on the lookout because yours may be on the way to you already.

boomspot

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2018
Did they process payment when shipped from China? Still waiting for my order to move. Calendar day 4 since I ordered BTO.

Psyclism

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
Same story here. Called Adorama today to get an update, since it was day 10 since I'd placed the order, and no update at all on their site. The girl on the phone said Apple still had a delivery estimate of early next week, and that's all she could tell me. So about an hour later, I get an email from Apple with my AppleCare+ documents, which told me that the machine had been built and was probably in the process of being shipped. However, around 10 minutes after that, the doorbell rings and it's DHL with my laptop. Adorama's site still doesn't have an update. Maybe I can call, cancel the order, and get a refund? ;) lol

mightyjabba

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2014
Tatooine
Interestingly mine shipped from within the US, even though I was expecting it from China. It was not direct from Adorama though

Surfer13134

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2010
Florida
Did they process payment when shipped from China? Still waiting for my order to move. Calendar day 4 since I ordered BTO.
They charged me right away because mine was build to ship so they had to have apple drop ship it to me.
[automerge]1575444622[/automerge]
Same story here. Called Adorama today to get an update, since it was day 10 since I'd placed the order, and no update at all on their site. The girl on the phone said Apple still had a delivery estimate of early next week, and that's all she could tell me. So about an hour later, I get an email from Apple with my AppleCare+ documents, which told me that the machine had been built and was probably in the process of being shipped. However, around 10 minutes after that, the doorbell rings and it's DHL with my laptop. Adorama's site still doesn't have an update. Maybe I can call, cancel the order, and get a refund? ;) lol
No doubt, I actually thought of that (I will never do it) but if someone who was dishonest could easily say they never got it and could probably get away with a refund or another system.
[automerge]1575444716[/automerge]
Interestingly mine shipped from within the US, even though I was expecting it from China. It was not direct from Adorama though
Yea the base models that dont require build to order is what most stores have in stock it seems. Looks like the build to order units are getting straight from the factory line.

AlyMourad

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2007
Egypt
So I contacted Adorama yesterday to check the status of my order because it said it would ship 7-10 business days from my order date, Of course they said it was still delayed and said it would arrive the 2nd week of December but they said not to worry I would get an email from them right away that will let me know it shipped and have a tracking number. Fast forward today I hear the doorbell ring around 630 and its DHL, Thinking it was just some stuff I ordered online he asked me to sign for the package and I bring it in and guess what??? Its my freaking macbook!!!!!! It shipped straight from China to me, Luckily I was home. I contacted Adorama and according to them the computer hasnt even shipped yet. So anyone that ordered from them be on the lookout because yours may be on the way to you already.

Congratulations. When did you order it? Cause I’m in the same boat and still waiting

iPhone_se

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2019
Could not be happier with my Adorama MacBook Pro 16” i9 1TB. Outstanding deal thanks to discount + apinsider code, ordered 11/23, shipped 11/26, delivered 12/3. Excellent packing in large double box with plenty of air cushions, inner box with MBP was pristine. Shipped UPS ground with signature required (also was free). Checking out the MBP itself today, but so far everything is absolutely perfect. Thanks again to Adorama!

boomspot

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2018
My order status just changed from back-ordered to preparing for shipment. I wonder if this means my build to order is shipping from Adorama or Apple?

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
B&H’s warehouses have received stock of a lot of BTO models in the past 24-36 hours. They all ship from NY or NJ. Do not believe they have a drop shipping arrangement with Apple as part of their reseller agreement, at least they haven’t for previous Apple orders.

Have not previously purchased Apple equipment from Adorama. All previous equipment purchases from Adorama have shipped from their NJ warehouse.

phas3

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2008
I was one of the people who took advantage of the Adorama deal and was one of the first to put their order in.

There is no way to determine if you're order will either be drop shipped from Apple or will be shipped from the Adorama warehouse in New Jersey. The majority who ordered silver 16" base models had their order drop shipped from Apple. The space grey models we're shipped from the NJ warehouse and some trickled in through drop shipping from Apple.

Your order should go from Backordered > Processing (which takes approx 2 business days and during this time you will see the charge on your card) > Shipped > Completed.

I ordered on the 17th and received it on the 26th with UPS Next Day Air. If you have issues like someone on the Slickdeals website where they received their 16" with 15 battery cycles you need to call Apple. Apple replaced the laptop instead of going through Adorama.

Reactions: boomspot
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.