Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I am running 10.12.6 today, Safari, Maps, App Store, etc. have all stopped working for me. My internet connection is fine as I can watch videos on Firefox or Chrome.

Any suggestions?

FarmerBob

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2004
I'm settled in Sierra, have all rest up to Catalina installed and play with them every so often. But to get things done it's Sierra for me. And when the OS starts getting wonky, which it will and does, I either boot to the Recovery Partition or an Install Flash Drive and rerun the OS installer over the top of my current install. I found out years ago even before Apple knew it could be done, I want royalties Apple, that you could run the installer over an existing install. After I confirmed to Apple that this could be done and with desirable results, they started suggesting this as a fix. For me many times it has fix big problems or just "Refreshed" the current install of which I could feel a big difference. Files get corrupt and often altered installers or just plain missing. This'll fix it.

Give it a try. I swear by it. Matter of fact it might be time for me to do it. "Spring Refreshing" OH! and don't worry if you get that feeling in the pit of your stomach that it'll erase your drive and do a "Clean Install", as I do every time I do it, it won't and if it tries, you'll be told so and if it's going to do that and you have to approve it. Test it out.

Hold this helps.

Stay Smart, Safe & Well . . .
. . . fb

COMaskFlagSmaller.png

If I may ask, why are you still using a version of the Mac OS that is at least 3 years old? If it's because of your hardware, OK, fine. I can't tell what Mac model you have.

Also, besides Firefox and Chrome, what other apps do you have that are still working?

Finally, you are making a backup to an external device, right?

FarmerBob

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2004
Me, CS5/6, Quark and all other 32bit, although most of mine are 64bit Apps. I can run 10.5.8, 10.6.8, 10.9.5, 10.12.6, 10.13.x, 10.14.x, 10.15.x on my MacPro 3,1 they all run great. I'll go play every so often and have found that 10.12.6 is just fine. But only certain apps work well as you go up. AND I am NOT moving into a "subscription pay" app. The new computer con.

As the newer OSs come out, just like the hardware, there are a ton of BenchTesters/Orgs that publish their results online. And not too long ago I read a compliation article that said the newer OSs will run on and found that they run better on the older hardware. Apple is just locking those machine out so you have to buy a new one. With Apple there is no "Planned Obsolescence" just "Forced Obsolescence".

Me, CS5/6, Quark and all other 32bit, although most of mine are 64bit Apps. I can run 10.5.8, 10.6.8, 10.9.5, 10.12.6, 10.13.x, 10.14.x, 10.15.x on my MacPro 3,1 they all run great. I'll go play every so often and have found that 10.12.6 is just fine. But only certain apps work well as you go up. AND I am NOT moving into a "subscription pay" app. The new computer con.

As the newer OSs come out, just like the hardware, there are a ton of BenchTesters/Orgs that publish their results online. And not too long ago I read a compliation article that said the newer OSs will run on and found that they run better on the older hardware. Apple is just locking those machine out so you have to buy a new one. With Apple there is no "Planned Obsolescence" just "Forced Obsolescence".
Thanks. But my post was for the original post made by ufcgrad93.

Also, I assume that when you run the OS installer on top of what you already have, you make a backup first. If not, you could be asking for trouble.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.