Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

rmpbklyn

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2015
cisco any connect and comodo av stopped working

it states flipformac is incompatible, need this for streaming

nagware- photo agent, took over my default camera importing app

maps is very slow, more usable on a phone/tablet

the recents keeps showing duplicate of the recent app, eg if I open firefox 4 times , it list it 4 times

ibooks is good, but the store dont jump/open the new download. and there is no zoom button

hamis92

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2007
Finland
Hello everybody.
Is the battery life better with 10.11.1? I have a rmbp late 2013 still in Mavericks, and I read that most of users say battery usage dropped from 7-8 hours to 4.
Thanks in advance
Having upgraded the same (15-inch) model straight from Mavericks to El Capitan, I haven't noticed any significant differences in battery life between the two versions.

Reactions: StoneJack

cool11

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2006
I have problem upgrading 10.11.1 from 10.11, as I had also when I tried upgrading from yosemite to el capitan.
I have handsoff firewall on my mac, all the latest years, and some guys told me that maybe this is the obstacle.

I don't think it's a handsoff problem, as apple declares that one of the problems addressed with the new update, was the problematic installer of el capitan, when upgrading.

But, I want to ask: are there users here, with handsoff in their systems, that managed to successfully upgrade to 10.11.1?

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Just did clean install of 10.11.1, and Apple removed the "secure delete" of trash...

You do get another "Delete immediately" option which doesn't serve any purpose, since both options do exactly the same.

Apple security bugs fixes page on 10.11 under Finder says "some users were having issues". To me that says, most users found it working ok... (assuming you believe Apple here)

They could have just said this just to make it sound better. but if users were having issues i'd like to know why they think they are.. because i've never had a problem with secure erase not doing it as intended... You know because it takes longer to delete files.

My belief is why Apple removed this is probably the same reason why u cannot erase free space from DU in GUI,,, Most Mac's are now SSD, and by simply not giving up fewer features, and instead, disabling this ability/ or removing in this case, now forces us to use third party app like CCleaner for this "secure deletion"

Since I zeropass (several in my case) SSD's anyway to clean install newer operating systems (aka i never upgrade). the lack of such a feature in 10.11.x may not be so bad. But just personal preference..

U can still to this via Terminal if u know the path..

Ritsuka

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2006
You can't actually overwrite a file on a ssd. The ssd will write on random blocks instead of the one where the file were. There nothing you can do about it, it wasn't secure at all.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
not with an OS that does TRIM. And noting has changed since Apple took this out.

Plus u can still zero-out an ssd from Terminal. And the time needed to do this wound not even equal to the act of just a simple erase.. (done from booting into recovery)

If that's all there was to it, it would be quick. but there is a difference. Performance degradation *could* be affected, depending on the number of passes, which is why i only do 1 pass of 0 writes..... There is noting wrong with this at all.. THe fact everyone says u shouldn't its just for protection in case people have used their drives allot and u have no idea if one would secure pass/delete would fail a given drive.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
i know.... but i was merely using the fact that TRIM did this anyway and handled garbage collection..

I could see one possibility Apple removed the secure delete option because of TRIM does the clean up.. just not immediately.

thus why the option may have been removed.

unless there is another reason..

Ritsuka

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2006
Trim doesn't do any cleanup, it just tell the ssd the file has been deleted and it can reuse those blocks. This has nothing to do with removing the actual deleted file data from the ssd.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
unless there is another reason..

The reason is that it’s unreliable, on spinning disks as well as SSDs. It gave people the misguided impression that the data was irretrievable when in fact a fraction of it could still be recovered. Apple couldn’t guarantee this to you. With SSDs it was especially bad and it was particularly wasteful to do it. If you want to protect your data: use encryption. This allows you to format the drive as well without having to worry that some bits remain.

hamis92

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2007
Finland
You do get another "Delete immediately" option which doesn't serve any purpose, since both options do exactly the same.
Delete Immediately is not the same as Secure Empty Trash. Delete Immediately allows one to permanently delete individual items that are in Trash without completely emptying it, or to bypass the Trash entirely (the option is available outside the Trash within Finder's File menu whilst holding down the Option key).

vic-k

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2015
Only started seeing this today, but I've noticed that Netflix play links have started showing up in Safari (that said, I did have Netflix open at the time, and here in Australia, we don't have many streaming services, so don't know whether it covers the likes of HBO, Showtime, etc.).

dfEHs5.png

Reactions: ErikGrim

Hugetrn

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2015
I noticed you can no longer search a word on a webpage using the address bar in Safari...It was such a convenient feature...

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
I already know that. You could also do that by simply typing in the address bar. That's what I was talking about.

Agreed. If nothing else, there should at least be a spot in the menu bar for searching the web page. Most people would never know that command-F would pull up that search box. At least with most keyboard commands there's a 'manual' way to do the same thing in the 'File' or 'View' dropdown menus. How on earth is a newcomer to the mac supposed to instinctively know this keyboard command?

Hugetrn

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2015
Agreed. If nothing else, there should at least be a spot in the menu bar for searching the web page. Most people would never know that command-F would pull up that search box. At least with most keyboard commands there's a 'manual' way to do the same thing in the 'File' or 'View' dropdown menus. How on earth is a newcomer to the mac supposed to instinctively know this keyboard command?

What's worse is that even if you know the cmd + f but you had been typing in the address bar the whole time because it was somewhat faster, you still do that out of habit in El Capitan which makes it even more annoying. I hope they bring it back with the next OS X release.

Ritsuka

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2006

It's the same shortcuts in most of the apps, and you can find the command in the Edit menu if you don't know it.

dsemf

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2014
What's worse is that even if you know the cmd + f but you had been typing in the address bar the whole time because it was somewhat faster, you still do that out of habit in El Capitan which makes it even more annoying. I hope they bring it back with the next OS X release.

Since the address bar is also also the search box (Google, etc.) how is the browser supposed to know that you want a page search instead?

DS

Hugetrn

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2015
Since the address bar is also also the search box (Google, etc.) how is the browser supposed to know that you want a page search instead?

DS

Apparently you weren't aware of this feature in previous releases. It used to work just like it does on an iOS device.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    124.9 KB · Views: 529
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.