Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

eazhar

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2017
I gave up on this project a year ago, but I am coming back, since I had recent success with installing Mojave on my MacBook Pro 5,5 and 6,1 (which was super helpful with dosdude1's tool). Also there seems to be more development in making this process a little more hands off, so I am a bit more motivated now.

I am trying to install El Capitan on my MacBook 2,1 (2006) and 3,1 (2007), both white originals. I am trying to use the MacExtractor from post 1129 by TMRJIJ. I should also note, the mega link provided in the aforementioned post and on https://osxhackers.net/macos-extractor/ indicate version 1.44, however the installer is for 1.4.3. The web installer says 1.4.4, but never seems to install properly, as during the installation process, I keep getting the following error:
Screen Shot 2019-09-28 at 6.43.55 PM.png

So instead, I am using the 1.4.3 provided in the mega link.

I created a new partition on my hard drive called ELCap_Patched:
Screen Shot 2019-09-28 at 6.39.19 PM.png

I have downloaded and stored "Install OS X El Capitan.app" in my Application folder:
Screen Shot 2019-09-28 at 6.46.04 PM.png

I went into "OS X Hacker Patch files" in the Applications folder and opened "AutoPatch.mpkg." I changed the destination to be the aforementioned ELCap_Patched partition drive on my USB:
Screen Shot 2019-09-28 at 6.47.30 PM.png

At the end of the installation (30 seconds later), I get the following failure of installation message:
Screen Shot 2019-09-28 at 6.48.40 PM.png

And the ElCap_Patched drive has nothing in it (i.e. no contents).

What am I doing wrong with the tool? Also, what is the discord channel where development on MacExtractor chat is happening?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-09-28 at 6.46.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-28 at 6.46.04 PM.png
    74.8 KB · Views: 516
Last edited:

jadorecafe

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2019
I'm having trouble with Mac OS Extractor on a Macbook 4,1. I followed the instructions but it doesn't boot into the install disk.

hiroshi.rio

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2017
Rio de Janeiro - Brazil
I'm having trouble with Mac OS Extractor on a Macbook 4,1. I followed the instructions but it doesn't boot into the install disk.

Did you bless it?
sudo bless --folder /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System --file /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi --setBoot

[edit]
MacOS Extractor and AutoPatch.mpkg worked fine, but the OS (10.11.5) did not install after boot. :/
(@MB 2,1 with 10.7.5)

Last edited:

steinbeq

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2019
UK
I gave up on this project a year ago, but I am coming back, since I had recent success with installing Mojave on my MacBook Pro 5,5 and 6,1 (which was super helpful with dosdude1's tool). Also there seems to be more development in making this process a little more hands off, so I am a bit more motivated now.

I am trying to install El Capitan on my MacBook 2,1 (2006) and 3,1 (2007), both white originals. I am trying to use the MacExtractor from post 1129 by TMRJIJ. I should also note, the mega link provided in the aforementioned post and on https://osxhackers.net/macos-extractor/ indicate version 1.44, however the installer is for 1.4.3. The web installer says 1.4.4, but never seems to install properly, as during the installation process, I keep getting the following error:
View attachment 864721

So instead, I am using the 1.4.3 provided in the mega link.

I created a new partition on my hard drive called ELCap_Patched:
View attachment 864722

I have downloaded and stored "Install OS X El Capitan.app" in my Application folder:
View attachment 864729

I went into "OS X Hacker Patch files" in the Applications folder and opened "AutoPatch.mpkg." I changed the destination to be the aforementioned ELCap_Patched partition drive on my USB:
View attachment 864724

At the end of the installation (30 seconds later), I get the following failure of installation message:
View attachment 864725

And the ElCap_Patched drive has nothing in it (i.e. no contents).

What am I doing wrong with the tool? Also, what is the discord channel where development on MacExtractor chat is happening?

While this may not address your current issues, for a macbook 2.1,or 3.1 you will definitely need an older installer without the 2018-001 update. 10.11.6 without the 2018-001 update should work. I used the disk clone method to get El Capitan working on a mb 2.1 but had to track down some custom kexts. I no longer have an El Capitan supported mac so am not able to to try this out from scratch any more. I didn't have any success with Max Post Factor or macOS Extractor.

groverb

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2015
So, I'm attempting this on a MB 4,1 running 10.7.5, but when booting the OS X Extractor usb it just sits on a white screen after selecting that drive at the boot option. There is some usb activity but stops after a few minutes. I even let it run overnight thinking it was a slow due to only having 2gb of memory, but still just sits on a white screen. No apple logo, no spinner, nothing. I'm doing this with OS X Extractor 1.44. Is there something I'm missing that is not included in the first post? I did copy "Install OS X El Capitan.app" from a backup I had on an external USB, and it's dated 2015 so I doubt it has the 2018-001 update. Could I have lost permissions and/or symlinks in that bundle that could have affected it's usage?

Second, where on https://osxhackers.net is there a checksum for the mega download?

Lastly, the links on the main page are wrong. See screenshots.
Screenshot from 2019-12-25 14-27-23.png

Screenshot from 2019-12-25 14-27-53.png

Last edited:

derloui

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2020
HOW TO INSTALL EL CAPITAN ON AN UNSUPPORTED MACBOOK 2,1

Update (27th November 2016): This method has been updated on post #1 of this thread. But in this post you can find some explanations that aren't on post #1.

Note: This should work well with other EFI32 non-Mac-Pros Macs as iMac or whatever, but I haven't tested it because I don't have these computers.

CREDITS

- Thanks to atvusr, who confirmed me that it should be technically possible to install El Capitan cloning the hard disk from a machine running El Capitan, and gave me very valuable advices: After many hours of work, I can say that it’s true: you can have El Capitan into your old EFI32 non-Mac-Pro machine in this way.

- OS X Hackers work has been very helpful: their distros, their kexts… all the kexts used come from TRMJIJ and OS X Hackers.

- Pike’s work has been of an invaluable value: Pike's yosemite boot.efi works with El Capitan with my computer; Pike's Capitan boot.efi doesn't.

- Hackintosh Clover and kexts used by Hackintosh Community have a part into this story.

- The @parrotgeek1's script to boot Sierra on unsupported Macs (he uses a method that is very similar to the one I'm using here). This script gave me two important keys I added to the steps 9 and 10 (how to rebuild kernel and some boot flags).

A SMALL INTRO

With these old machines, the trouble is related to USB El Capitan kexts for these machines. To install El Capitan from an USB stick, you need to have USB supported, and, as you need some USB kexts than cannot be installed into the USB stick with which you are going to install El Capitan into your machine, you cannot do that.

So, the idea is cloning the hard disk with El Capitan from a machine running it. After that, you add some kexts to System/Library/Extensions, change the boot.efi to a Pike’s Yosemite EFI32 boot.efi (included in MacPostFactor), repair some permissions, caches… and it works.

After several attempts from my Hackintosh and from my MacBook Pro, both of them running El Capitan, I can say this process works... from both of them!

HOW I DID IT AND YOU CAN DO IT: THE TUTORIAL

1- First of all, you need an external 2,5” HDD or SSD. It has to be GUID HFS+ formatted. If you format it from El Capitan, it formats the hard disk in this way by default. I will suppose its name is "Capitann". This will create a HFS+ partition and an EFI partition automatically.

2- Clone the partition where you have El Capitan. It can be a real Mac, or even a Hackintosh. You can use Carbon Copy Clone (CCC) or SuperDuper! I have used both of them and they worked well. I cloned the disk having SIP disabled. To do that, boot from your El Capitan Mac from Recovery Partition, go to utilities, open a terminal, and write csrutil disable and reboot. You need to do all the steps from a El Capitan with SIP disabled.

3- The EFI partition should be a real Mac one. Two possibilities: it’s blank or it has only one file: /EFI/APPLE/EXTENSIONS/Firmware.scap. We may come from three scenarios.

a) If you have cloned from a real Mac, EFI could have some firmware from your source machine, which is different than your machine. CCC and SuperDuper clone the EFI partition automatically, so you have it.

b) If you have cloned from a Hackintosh with Legacy Clover, you should have the EFI partition empty.

c) If you have cloned from a Hackintosh with UEFI Clover, you have Clover into the EFI Partition. We want to delete it.

We want to be sure the EFI partition is empty.

4- You need to mount the EFI partition to be sure it's blank. You can use an app called “Clover configurator”, for example (http://mackie100projects.altervista.org/download-clover-configurator/). Go to “TOOLS/Mount EFI”. Click “Check partition”. Locate your external hard drive (disk0, disk1, disk2…). Click “Mount EFI partition” and select our cloned hard drive by its name (its name will be disk0s1 or disk1s1 or similar). Click “Open Partition”. Finder will open the EFI Partition of your hard drive.

If there’s something there, delete it and leave it blank. Unmount the partition.

5- Now we need to change the boot.efi so we will use the one I've attached. First, we need to change flags. From terminal (I'm supposing your Capitan partition is called "Capitann"):

cd /Volumes/Capitann/System/Library/CoreServices/
sudo chflags nouchg boot.efi
cd /Volumes/Capitann/usr/standalone/i386/
sudo chflags nouchg boot.efi

6- From Finder, use the "Go" menu and select "Go to folder..."
Open /Volumes/Capitann/System/Library/CoreServices/ and copy there the new boot.efi from where you have it (probably your Downloads folder).
Open /Volumes/Capitann/usr/standalone/i386/ and do the same.

We will assign the correct owner to them. From terminal:
sudo chown root:wheel boot.efi
sudo chown root:wheel boot.efi

7- We need kexts. We are using tones of kext from TRMJIJ - OS X Hackers (for example, Beta-USB-Kexts). To make the things easy, you have them all zipped in this link:https://www.dropbox.com/s/oqtz4ozluwb6xx5/all-kexts.zip?dl=1. Download, unzip and copy them into /Volumes/Capitann/System/Library/Extensions/.

There are two more kexts, attached (more-kexts.zip), that come from Hackintoshes. You only need them if you are cloning from your hackintosh. Without them, El Capitan won't boot.

Note: If you have cloned from a hackintosh, check your kexts into /Volumes/Capitann/System/Library/Extensions/ and /Volumes/Capitann/Library/Extensions/. Maybe you have things you don't need. Some of them can give you problems, for example, AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext or ApplePS2Controller.kext. I can say the same if you have some HDAEnablerx.kext or whatever that is "very hackintosh".
If you have in these folders kexts like FakeSMC.kext and/or NullCPUPowerManagement.kext, remove them and change them by the ones I'm providing into the attached file, more-kexts.zip. These two kexts have to be into /Volumes/Capitann/System/Library/Extensions/. If they are in /Volumes/Capitann/Library/Extensions/, delete them: they have to be only in one place and its place is /Volumes/Capitann/System/Library/Extensions/.

8a- Before doing 8b, you need to be sure you have an important folder, which is not usually cloned.

Open in Finder /Volumes/Capitann/System/Library/Caches/ Do you have com.apple.kext.caches/ folder?
If not, open in another window of the finder /System/Library/Caches/, and drag and drop com.apple.kext.caches/ from /System/Library/Caches/ to /Volumes/Capitann/System/Library/Caches/.

After that, open a terminal and:

cd /Volumes/Capitann/System/Library/Caches/
sudo chown -R root:wheel *.*

Note: If you don't have com.apple.kext.caches/, in step 8b you can get a message like:

or Can't create /Volumes/Capitann/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext.JzU7 - No such file or directory. Or, in step 10, you can get a message like:
Can't create /Volumes/Capitann/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/kernelcache.l9a9 - No such file or directory and El Capitan won't boot.

8b- Now we need to rebuild permissions in the cloned disk. From terminal:
sudo /usr/libexec/repair_packages --repair --standard-pkgs --volume /Volumes/Capitann/

9- Now we will set boot flags and use them every time we boot. From terminal:
cd /Volumes/Capitann//Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/
sudo nano com.apple.Boot.plist

You will see:
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>

You want to have:
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>-no_compat_check kext-dev-mode=1 mbasd=1</string>

Or, if you want verbose mode, too, add -v flag:
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>-no_compat_check kext-dev-mode=1 mbasd=1 -v</string>

Note: we need these flags, they are mandatory to have all the kexts loaded.

To go out from nano editor, Ctrl+X and say "y".

10- Now we want to have permissions in good condition, and rebuilding kext cache. From terminal:
cd /Volumes/Capitann/System/Library/Extensions/
sudo chown -R root:wheel *.*
sudo chmod -R 755 *.*
sudo kextcache -v 1 -a x86_64 -m /Volumes/Capitann/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/Capitann/System/Library/Extensions

The terminal shoud give you messages like these:
/Volumes/Capitann locked; waiting for lock.
Lock acquired; proceeding.
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67054 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA12 for kext IOUSBHostFamily.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67061 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0B for kext IOUSBHIDDriverSafeBoot.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67054 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA12 for kext IOUSBHIDDriverPM.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67054 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA12 for kext IOUSBFamily.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67054 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA12 for kext AppleWWANSupport.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67061 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0B for kext IOHIDUserClient.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67061 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0B for kext IOHIDSystem.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67061 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0B for kext IOHIDEventDriverSafeBoot.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67061 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0B for kext IOHIDEventDriver.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67054 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA12 for kext IOBluetoothUSBDFU.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67061 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0B for kext AppleUSBTopCase.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67061 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0B for kext AppleTopCase.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67054 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA12 for kext AppleStorageDrivers.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67050 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA16 for kext AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67061 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0B for kext AppleIntelGMA950.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67061 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0B for kext IOHDAFamily.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67061 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0B for kext DspFuncLib.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67061 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0B for kext AppleMikeyDriver.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67061 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0B for kext AppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67061 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0B for kext AppleHDAController.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67061 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0B for kext AppleHDA.kext
AppleDataSetManagement.kext - dependency for com.apple.iokit.IOAHCIBlockStorage lacks valid OSBundleCompatibleVersion.
AppleDataSetManagement.kext is missing dependencies (including anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)
Created mkext archive /Volumes/Capitann/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext.

Note 1: AppleDataSetManagement.kext messages will be shown if you have an SSD and TRIM enabled.
Note 2: If you get messages saying permissions are not correct, or omitting... repeat steps 7, 8 and 10, until you get these messages saying "kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature..". Be sure you are doing all the steps (especially the terminal commands) correct, and in the correct order.
Note 3: If you get a message saying "Can't create...", do the step 8a again, it hasn't been done.

11- Now we are going to build the prelinked kernel and kernelcache:
sudo kextcache -prelinked-kernel /Volumes/Capitann/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/kernelcache -K /Volumes/Capitann/System/Library/Kernels/kernel /Volumes/Capitann/System/Library/Extensions /Volumes/Capitann/Library/Extensions
The output of the terminal should be similar to the prior one, because we are rebuilding kernel, but rebuilding caches, too.

Note: if you are on a hackintosh, you can get messages like:
SoftRAID.kext has incorrect permissions; omitting.
PromiseSTEX.kext has incorrect permissions; omitting.
hp_io_enabler_compound.kext has incorrect permissions; omitting.
HighPointRR.kext has incorrect permissions; omitting.
HighPointIOP.kext has incorrect permissions; omitting.
HandsOff.kext has incorrect permissions; omitting.
CalDigitHDProDrv.kext has incorrect permissions; omitting.
ATTOExpressSASRAID2.kext has incorrect permissions; omitting.
ATTOExpressSASHBA2.kext has incorrect permissions; omitting.
ATTOCelerityFC8.kext has incorrect permissions; omitting.
ArcMSR.kext has incorrect permissions; omitting.
ACS6x.kext has incorrect permissions; omitting.

Some of these kexts are from hackintosh and will not be needed. Other ones, like HandsOff.kext, can be from some app you have installed. Be sure you are not omitting something important, as the kexts the prior command has loaded (AppleHDA.kext or similar), and don't care for the rest.

12- Now we can change flags to boot.efi, and protect it again. From terminal:
sudo chflags uchg boot.efi
sudo chflags uchg boot.efi

13- Unmount the USB external drive, and connect it to your unsupported EFI32 Mac.

14- Boot you unsupported Mac as the external drive wasn't there. When I boot, I have OS X Hackers Yosemite. Once booted, go to System Preferences/Startup Disk. Select "El Capitann" and click "Restart...". You will be asked. Confirm you want to restart and... wait and be patient :)

15- If El Capitan boots, you have to decide what to do. Maybe you want to clone the external HDD to your internal hard disk/SSD using CCC or SuperDuper!, or having El Capitan where it is. It's your decision.
IMPORTANT: After cloning from your external drive to the internal one, if you use Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper!, you need to do step 8a. If you not, El Capitan won't boot. If you have used "Stellar Drive Clone" you don't need step 8a. This is because CCC and SuperDuper doesn't clone the folder /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/ and we need this folder to boot El Capitan. What happens if you don't have it? El Capitan will try to create the folder and, as it has SIP enabled, it won't load all the kexts we need, and, hence, El Capitan won't boot because the internal HDD/SSD will not be recognized.

ISSUES THAT COULD BE IMPROVED

SIP:
When you boot El Capitan and go to terminal, if you write csrutil status, it says "enabled".
GMA950 KEXTS: They could be more El Capitan-adapted; TRMJIJ has said that, if he and another developer have time, they will do that. Thank you!

So, everything is working, all the needed kexts loaded, but, remember, you don't have QE/CI on GMA950 from Mavericks to El Capitan, and you will have the same issues you'd have using MacPostFactor to install Yosemite on this machine (machine can not wake up from sleep due to the lack of QE/CI, you may want to install nosleep extension, VLC not working, and so on). Remember, last officially supported OS X version with QE/CI is Lion; and Mountain Lion, this last one thanks to OS X Hackers. For this reason, I highly recommend an SSD and 4 GB of RAM.
For watching HD videos, you can use MPEG Streamclip or the HD player included in Vuze (VLC doesn't work). You can, too, disable animations (look at the post #1 of this thread, or look at the Yosemite on Unsupported Macs thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/os-x-yosemite-on-unsupported-macs-guide.1761432/ ).

I've tried to describe all the issues you could have during the process, so I think you shoud not have any problems following this tutorial.

That's all! Thank you very much.
View attachment 640466

Hello skyfly555,

sorry for my spontaneous post.

- My first question is, whether it 's necessary to clone the partition using ccc or super duper or is it sufficient doing it recovering by disc utility in os x?

- My secound question is, whether it would be possible to you to upload your collection of kexts again whitch fits especially to this MacBook. Especially the GPU (GMA 950) isn 't recognized and there 's no brightness control.

Thank you looking forward getting an answer

Sternenfeuer

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2020
Need Help!
I tried everithing to upgrade my iMac5.1 to ElCapitan or to any other version since 10.9 but with no success.
I removed the 2*2GB RAM to the original 2*1GB.
The HDD is an new one with 1TB because the original died in 2012.

I used every tool that i could find, every tutorial, reinstalled the original 10.7.5 several times .... i don´t know what i can try next. The most Tutorials describe the update from a MacPro. Often are dead download links in the turials .... ?

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States
New macOSE Beta is in the upload process... Nothing really new though unfortunately
[automerge]1581389331[/automerge]
macOS Extractor v1.45 Beta 2
A Beta to macOS Extractor was released on February 10, 2020.

A macOSE Beta update is recommended to assist you in installing macOS 10.8-10.14 on your Unsupported Mac. Also, by updating the patching software on your Mac, you can enjoy various additional features and enhanced security. Always use the latest version.
Never download this from any other provider. All links must link to this page or directly from our server. This is to ensure that nothing was tampered with and that you have the most reliable and tested software.

New to this Build:
  • Updated Certificate for continued usage in the Beta Stage
  • Fixed Issue where some assets went missing during Compiling

Previous changes in Beta 1:
  • The Entire AutoPatch has now been rewritten to correct numerous bugs with creating the Installer Drive
  • OS X Mountain Lion, Mavericks and Yosemite now has 32-bit Applications
  • Boot.efi patching happens from within the AutoPatch. No more confusion over these Bootloaders
  • macOS 10.12-10.14 Support for MacBook 4,1 (In Next Betas)
  • Fixed issue where AutoPatch could not rewrite the PlatformSupport.plist
  • Fixed Issue where the Boot.efi would not Lock resulting in Installer Corruption
  • Fixed Issue where PostInstall Script did not update according to Mac Model
  • macOS Extractor now adds Graphical Kexts within the Installer

Developer Focus Areas:
◦ The AutoPatch Installation completing successfully.
◦ El Capitan Installation Drive rebuilding Kextcache.
◦ Mountain Lion Installation Drive showing the correct 32-bit Utility Applications

Note: macOS/OS X Installers created by this Beta are NOT fully functional. It is NOT recommended to try it on your main Unsupported Mac unless you know how to Recover it.

Web Installer Size: 2 MB
Download Size: 220 - 500 MB
The Installer reads and downloads needed patches from our servers. You must have at least 180 MB of space for installation

Prerequisites

Tested Macs listed below. Here are the minimum requirements:

- Running 10.7.5 Lion
- At least 2GB of RAM (4 GB Recommended)
- A copy of a macOS/OS X Installer in Applications Folder (.app file required)
- 15 GB of free space from USB or HDD Partition.

-MacBook2,x
-MacBook3,x
-MacBook4,x
-MacBookPro2,x
-MacBookAir1,1
-MacMini1,x (C2D upgraded)
-MacMini2,x
-iMac4,x (C2D can be upgraded)
-iMac5,x

We DON'T assist with Hackintosh. All private messages/emails involving installing OS X on non-Apple hardware will be redirected to another support team.

How to Use It:
1. Download macOS Extractor
2. Install it. Choose a version of macOS/OS X to get the correct patches.
3. Open the AutoPatch in your Applications and view to the corresponding guide for the OS you choose.

Download Now

Last edited:

rryanv

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2017
First off thank you everyone in this forum for all your hard work. Sometime in 2017 I got a perfect running 10.11.6 (15G1510) running on a MB 3,1. I gave that away to my sister and never looked back.

Recently I came across an old MB 2,1 3,1 and 4,1 and tried to use all the methods that are current with clean a 10.11 (15A284) and 10.11.6 (15G31) for a month and could never get any of them to work. It almost drove me insane.

I ended up getting the old 3,1 back from my sister and cloned the drive into the 3,1 and 4,1 and it still worked perfectly even the full 144MB for the graphics card. I was even able to clone it to the 2,1 and use method 3v3 to get that one to work. I have no idea why I can't replicate my work from 2017 from scratch but wanted to let people know my struggles. Either way now I have like 5 clones of that original setup just incase I ever need them again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zeh

Cancelled
Jun 11, 2018
Hello,
I'm putting this out there because I can find no useful information online. From my understanding, to run Mountain Lion on an unsupported Mac with 64-bit EFI, you need a patched boot.efi that supports booting the 64bit kernel (I know this is not required on Mavericks and newer). For an unsupported Mac with 32-bit EFI, you need a patched boot.efi as well, but a different one. I have tried using many different copies from multiple patchers with varying degrees of success. But there's one thing I haven't been able to find: Where the files come from. If anyone can track down two actual working files *and* where they come from (MacRumours post, GitHub repo, anything) I'd appreciate it. If you're a developer of some kind of patched boot.efi file, please contact me directly. Thank you.

Edit: Found out they were compiled from Piker Alpha's macosxbootloader repo on GitHub. Still having issues with them but I have located the source of them at least!

Last edited:

Andrew_Sharapoff

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2020
Hello guys! So I've managed to make the patched installer, but somehow it can't boot from hat partition.
I mean that I've made it on the same HDD where my 10.7.5. Lion is installed and where I can posting this from, but after even replacing boot.efi several times from different sources, it couldn't load.
So maybe somebody ever has any options to solve this?
P.S. It's two weeks I am day to day trying to install the El Capitan or Yosemite on MBA1,1

nnm4evr

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2019
Hello everyone. I try to install El Capitan (from two dmg's - 10.11 and 10.11.6) on this model (but with 4Gb RAM, and 500 Gb HDD) of MacBook2,1. Installing El Capitan to second partition on HDD (On first partition installed 10.7.5).
And everytime macOS Extractor AutoPatch show me the same error's like in post 1,176 (i do the same steps like in this post). What can wrong? I attach AutoPatch Log files from macOS Extractor versions 1.4.4. and 1.4.5 Beta 2.

I'll try install El Capitan with MacPostFactor, but after first part of installation complete and MacBook reboot to continue install process, MacBook stack to bootloop with messages "Creating MacPostFactor Recovery (small)" and again, and again... My MacBook no options to load into "select boot device" (or how it called) by ALT button, and every time i need to connect HDD to my main PC (not Mac) and delete all partitions, only after that i can install new 10.7.5 by DVD-ROM.

I need to install several OS's to that MacBook - 10.7.5, 10.11.6 and Windows 7 (Now i can intall only 10.7.5 and Win7), how to install 10.11.6 if all simple methods doesn't work? And last question how to create several partitions for OS's (1part - 10.7.5, 2part - 10.11.6, 3part - Windows 7 (NTFS), 4part - For data (NTFS)) and OS's can work with this partitions without errors?

Sorry for my English.

Attachments

• Installer Log 1.txt
    33.6 KB · Views: 203
  • Installer Log 2.txt
    33.6 KB · Views: 218

mac.ari

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2020
New macOSE Beta is in the upload process... Nothing really new though unfortunately
[automerge]1581389331[/automerge]
macOS Extractor v1.45 Beta 2
A Beta to macOS Extractor was released on February 10, 2020.

A macOSE Beta update is recommended to assist you in installing macOS 10.8-10.14 on your Unsupported Mac. Also, by updating the patching software on your Mac, you can enjoy various additional features and enhanced security. Always use the latest version.
Never download this from any other provider. All links must link to this page or directly from our server. This is to ensure that nothing was tampered with and that you have the most reliable and tested software.

New to this Build:
  • Updated Certificate for continued usage in the Beta Stage
  • Fixed Issue where some assets went missing during Compiling

Previous changes in Beta 1:
  • The Entire AutoPatch has now been rewritten to correct numerous bugs with creating the Installer Drive
  • OS X Mountain Lion, Mavericks and Yosemite now has 32-bit Applications
  • Boot.efi patching happens from within the AutoPatch. No more confusion over these Bootloaders
  • macOS 10.12-10.14 Support for MacBook 4,1 (In Next Betas)
  • Fixed issue where AutoPatch could not rewrite the PlatformSupport.plist
  • Fixed Issue where the Boot.efi would not Lock resulting in Installer Corruption
  • Fixed Issue where PostInstall Script did not update according to Mac Model
  • macOS Extractor now adds Graphical Kexts within the Installer

Developer Focus Areas:
◦ The AutoPatch Installation completing successfully.
◦ El Capitan Installation Drive rebuilding Kextcache.
◦ Mountain Lion Installation Drive showing the correct 32-bit Utility Applications

Note: macOS/OS X Installers created by this Beta are NOT fully functional. It is NOT recommended to try it on your main Unsupported Mac unless you know how to Recover it.

Web Installer Size: 2 MB
Download Size: 220 - 500 MB
The Installer reads and downloads needed patches from our servers. You must have at least 180 MB of space for installation

Prerequisites

Tested Macs listed below. Here are the minimum requirements:

- Running 10.7.5 Lion
- At least 2GB of RAM (4 GB Recommended)
- A copy of a macOS/OS X Installer in Applications Folder (.app file required)
- 15 GB of free space from USB or HDD Partition.

-MacBook2,x
-MacBook3,x
-MacBook4,x
-MacBookPro2,x
-MacBookAir1,1
-MacMini1,x (C2D upgraded)
-MacMini2,x
-iMac4,x (C2D can be upgraded)
-iMac5,x

We DON'T assist with Hackintosh. All private messages/emails involving installing OS X on non-Apple hardware will be redirected to another support team.

How to Use It:
1. Download macOS Extractor
2. Install it. Choose a version of macOS/OS X to get the correct patches.
3. Open the AutoPatch in your Applications and view to the corresponding guide for the OS you choose.

Download Now

Hi TMRJIJ!

macOS Extractor v1.45 Beta 2 has a package problem.

Unfortunately missing some important files in AutoPatch.pkg.
I found placeholder ghost files in their place that I can't do anything with.

Here is the list of ghost files:
./32Bit/Extensions/.acfs.kext.icloud
./32Bit/Extensions/.AppleHDA.kext.icloud
./32Bit/Extensions/.AppleStorageDrivers.kext.icloud
./32Bit/Extensions/.AppleVADriver.bundle.icloud
./32Bit/Extensions/.CoreStorage.kext.icloud
./32Bit/Extensions/.IO80211Family.kext.icloud
./32Bit/Extensions/.IOBluetoothFamily.kext.icloud
./32Bit/Extensions/.IOFireWireFamily.kext.icloud
./32Bit/Extensions/.IONetworkingFamily.kext.icloud
./32Bit/Extensions/.IOSCSIArchitectureModelFamily.kext.icloud
./32Bit/Extensions/.IOUSBFamily.kext.icloud
./32Bit/Extensions/.SoftRAID.kext.icloud
./32Bit/Frameworks/.IOBluetooth.framework.icloud
./32Bit/Frameworks/.IOBluetoothUI.framework.icloud
./32Bit/PreferencePanes/.Bluetooth.prefPane.icloud
./32Bit/PreferencePanes/.Mouse.prefPane.icloud
./Kexts/.ELCapUSBKexts.zip.icloud
./Kexts/.Kexts.zip.icloud
./Kexts/.Kexts32.zip.icloud
./Kexts/.Kexts64.zip.icloud
./Kexts/.SierraUSBKexts.zip.icloud
./Sierra/USBBluetooth Kexts/.SierraUSBKexts.zip.icloud

Where can we download the good files?
Thanx for help.

Zeh

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2020
First off thank you everyone in this forum for all your hard work. Sometime in 2017 I got a perfect running 10.11.6 (15G1510) running on a MB 3,1. I gave that away to my sister and never looked back.

Recently I came across an old MB 2,1 3,1 and 4,1 and tried to use all the methods that are current with clean a 10.11 (15A284) and 10.11.6 (15G31) for a month and could never get any of them to work. It almost drove me insane.

I ended up getting the old 3,1 back from my sister and cloned the drive into the 3,1 and 4,1 and it still worked perfectly even the full 144MB for the graphics card. I was even able to clone it to the 2,1 and use method 3v3 to get that one to work. I have no idea why I can't replicate my work from 2017 from scratch but wanted to let people know my struggles. Either way now I have like 5 clones of that original setup just incase I ever need them again.

Hello!

I'm trying to install El Capitan on my good'ol black Macbook3,1 but no success...
I can make the USB installer with MacOSExtractor, but after booy I get a circle crossed sign after the Apple logo...

So, I was thinking....can you share the clone image you have for the Macbook3,1?

That'd be awesome...

Thanks a lot!

Best,

Zeh

Antonio285

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2020
Screen Shot 2019-09-28 at 6.48.40 PM.png

When I run the program it works fine for 5 minutes and it tells me this. I have tried MLPF and when it restarts it turns on in my usual OS. I have the .app in the Applications folder. Can you help me? I have MacBook 4.1 With MacOS Yosemite 10.10.5

Sorry my bad English, I am from Spain, and my English level is very bad.

PS: In case it was an application problem of Install El Capitan.app, can you pass me a link that is valid by MP?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-09-28 at 6.43.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-28 at 6.43.55 PM.png
    148.6 KB · Views: 290
Last edited:

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I'm trying to install El Capitan on a black MacBook 4,1 and I'm having issues.

This is for a neighbor's grandkid who needs it for school.

I'm able to use "macOS Extractor" version 1.4.5 to create an installer partition on an external usb hard drive. This was my procedure:

1. Put a copy of "Install OS X El Capitan" in Applications folder.
  2. Installed the Mega download version of "macOS Extractor" (the web install never works…server issue?).
  3. Connected newly formatted USB hard drive.
  4. Started AutoPatch.mpkg.
  5. Clicked "Custom" and picked "El Capitan" and the Open GL option (I've also tried without it).
  6. Picked target drive (the blank USB hard drive).
  7. Proceeded with the install and it completes after a few minutes.
At this point it looks like I've got an installer. However, it won't boot from it when I choose it at the startup screen (holding option). I've also noticed it doesn't appear in the Startup Disk prefs.

So I try "blessing". The page 1 instructions (terminal command) leads to the "Error while getting file ID of /Volumes/OS X Base System 1/boot. Ignoring..." issue which makes sense I think. Another person posted pointing the bless command to the boot.efi file using "sudo bless --folder /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System --file /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi --setBoot".

As a test I took the USB installer I just created to another Mac and tried to clone it to another drive via CCC and I get the error message "The destination volume will not be bootable because a required system file (System/Library/Kernels/kernel) does not exist at the root of the source volume." My newly-created installer has a kernel file in the /Kernel
folder but there isn't even a "Kernels" folder at "/System/Library".

When I run this Terminal command I get these results...which look correct!:
Code:
admins-macbook:~ admin$ bless --info /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System
finderinfo[0]:     22 => Blessed System Folder is /Volumes/OS X Base System/System/Library/CoreServices
finderinfo[1]:  49464 => Blessed System File is /Volumes/OS X Base System/System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi
finderinfo[2]:      0 => Open-folder linked list empty
finderinfo[3]:      0 => No alternate OS blessed file/folder
finderinfo[4]:      0 => Unused field unset
finderinfo[5]:     22 => OS X blessed folder is /Volumes/OS X Base System/System/Library/CoreServices
64-bit VSDB volume id:  0x4DF14C0294119192

Yet the MacBook won't boot from the installer when chosen at startup (holding the option key), nor does it appear in the "Startup Disk" prefs pane as a bootable disk.

The El Capitan installer file I'm using has a creation date of May 18, 2016 and modified date of February 4, 2018 and is version 1.7.50. Could that be the whole issue? What version should I be looking for?

Update: I have also tried with "Install OS X El Capitan" version 1.7.44 and same results.
2nd Update: I have also tried version 1.7.28 and tried again with the clock set back to Dec 2015.

Last edited:

Zeh

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2020
View attachment 905551

When I run the program it works fine for 5 minutes and it tells me this. I have tried MLPF and when it restarts it turns on in my usual OS. I have the .app in the Applications folder. Can you help me? I have MacBook 4.1 With MacOS Yosemite 10.10.5

Sorry my bad English, I am from Spain, and my English level is very bad.

PS: In case it was an application problem of Install El Capitan.app, can you pass me a link that is valid by MP?

Hi,

From my experience, you need to install MacOSExtractor again every time before running the AutoPatch. This is because installer will mount the necessary volumes it needs for patching.

Simply running AutoPatch from the Applications folder wont do and gives this error.
So, keep the MacOSExtractor dmg and run the installer every time you want to patch.

Hope this helps...

Best,

Zeh

Antonio285

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2020
Hi,

From my experience, you need to install MacOSExtractor again every time before running the AutoPatch. This is because installer will mount the necessary volumes it needs for patching.

Simply running AutoPatch from the Applications folder wont do and gives this error.
So, keep the MacOSExtractor dmg and run the installer every time you want to patch.

Hope this helps...

Best,

Zeh

Thanks, I try tomorrow. Have you got a funcional link you tried??? (Sorry my bad English)

Antonio285

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2020
Hi,

Hope this helps...

Best,

Zeh

I don’t understand. I tried to install in another partition (elcapi is it’s name) but no, don’t install, it show me the same error.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I have a successful installation of El Capitan 10.11.6 on a MacBook 4,1 using method 3 with variations.

Keeping it short, what I ended up doing was:

1. Installing EC and applying all updates to a USB-attached SSD on a MacBook Pro 3,1 already running EC
  2. Putting all the proper kexts, as discussed elsewhere in this thread, into the Extensions folder
  3. Replacing the “Apple_iSight.kext” with one from a Lion installation into the Extensions folder (see below)
  4. Performing all the proper blessings and permissions changes
  5. Putting the USB-attached SSD with EC into one of the MacBook 4,1 USB ports
  6. Creating a USB flash rEFInd stick and inserting it into the MacBook 4,1
  7. Starting up the MacBook 4,1 and setting SIP to “off” in the rEFInd bootloader
  8. Selecting the EC disk and starting it up
  9. Manually installing and configuring rEFInd to the EFI partition on the MacBook 4,1 making sure that I setup the SIP switch to OFF (and only off)
  10. Rebooted into El Capitan without the USB rEFInd stick attached

The iSight camera didn’t work (and the light was stuck “on”) without the Lion kext and I actually tried that last, re-blessing and “permissioning” again. I was surprised that worked.

The graphics issues are there but tolerable. The screen brightness is stuck at a reasonable level. I installed the free “QuickShade” app via the App Store which allows some control over brightness.

The USB ports, Bluetooth, audio, wifi all work. No worries anymore about Apple updates mucking it all up as there won't be any.

It wasn't as easy as it sounds but it would be if I had to do it again!

Reactions: shapemaker

mde84

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2020
When I try to install the latest macOS Extractor, it's unable to download the necessary files from the server. The Macbook is able to connect to the internet.
What needs to be done to fix the issue?

KeithJohn

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2015
Glasgow
Hi Guys, I was wondering if I can get help with a project I have acquired, I have been given a Mac Pro 2.1 that has no HD in it, but I have a spare 240GB SSD, it has also 12GB of ram in it, not sure of the processors, but I am assured they were working up until about 6 months about when my friend abandoned using it and stripped out the HD and graphics card, I already have two old graphics cards, a ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB one which I think works okay and a Palit Geforce GTX 570 that he gave me, not sure if that works though. My question is what would I now need to get it up and running El Capitan, given that its a bare bones project?

Any help and pointers would be greatly appreciated.

nnm4evr

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2019
When I try to install the latest macOS Extractor, it's unable to download the necessary files from the server. The Macbook is able to connect to the internet.
What needs to be done to fix the issue?
Hello. You need use offline versions of macOS Extractor. I have download only two offline versions and can't say where to download others. Offline versions - 1.4.3 (Official) and 1.4.5 Beta 2 (Unofficial Edition by Me, I just download needed packages from official site and add it to main package, then edit paths in file distribution.dist).

P.S. I'm still dont resolve my problem with installation... If anyone can help me - ?Like from me!

udance4ever

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2005
1.4.5 Beta 2 (Unofficial Edition by Me, I just download needed packages from official site and add it to main package, then edit paths in file distribution.dist).

@nnm4evr thanks for creating the 1.4.5b2 offline version. This was critical to get past the inability of MacOS Extractor to download those packages you embedded in the installer!

Even though I fumbled for hours (1) not realizing MacOS Extractor defaults to "Sierra" (you have you do a custom install and check "El Capitan") and (2) not realizing you are supposed to AutoPatch and select an empty 15GB partition, I finally got as far as getting the "OS X Base System" partition created and showing up in my boot menu on a mid-2007 MacBook 2,1.

The problem I currently have is a have a dual-boot system with GRUB2 pointing to a variety of Linux distributions (Ubuntu 18.04, ElementaryOS 5.1, Ubuntu 20.04) and when I select "OS X Base System" to boot from, it always goes pops right back to GRUB2 (instead of the usual Apple logo in the middle).

So the only step I can think of at this point is to build a standalone disk with only 10.7.5 and 10.11 (OS X Base System) on it.

For the record, the official MacOS Extractor 1.4.5 was released March 31, 2020. However, it still has the same issue of not being able to download packages from the remote server. The release notes say "The Entire AutoPatch has now been rewritten to correct numerous bugs with creating the Installer Drive"

@nnm4evr I don't know how you were able to download the packages to create your unofficial 1.4.5b2 release - I figure the official 1.4.5 release is worth a try if you are able to do your magic again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.