Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

cool11

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2006
Google chrome, do not update.
I have to manually download the dmg of each new version.
Anybody else with the same problem?

201135x.jpg

This latest version was updated by me, manually.

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
Google chrome, do not update.
I have to manually download the dmg of each new version.
Anybody else with the same problem?
This latest version was updated by me, manually.
I have the same problem only I get "error: 11". I have no idea what the errors mean. I did report it to Google Chrome, of course there has been no response so far.

I did find this Chrome support page:
https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/111996

Canado

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2014
Hi,

who uses playback (a no longer developed UPNP player to stream MKVs) on El Capitan?
I need this to work as I stream sometimes to my old BluRay player.

thx

emtajim

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2009
MS Office 2008 is not listed in working -or- not working. Argh It's hard to believe in 54 pages no one has reported on this version of MS Office. (I only searched pages 1 and 54 for Office 2008).

I have a new to me Mac Mini that I wanted to upgrade from 10.9.5 to 10.10.5. I learned I am SOL since I have never 'purchased/downloaded' 10.10 so am forced to go to El Capitan.

I just installed El Capitan on my 2009 Mac Pro and all of my Office 2008 stuff is working. Takes a little longer to load but seems to be running ok otherwise.

Jim

Reactions: davekro

metamorphoses

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2010
as to Windows 10: performed "upgrade" from Windows 7-Pro direct from MS - - - it is working just fine - - - mid-2009 duo-core 17" macbook pro...will be attempting 'trackpad' "work-around" later this week...

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
Last edited:

jblagden

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2013
Technically, this isn’t an app, but I’ve been having issues with Internet Sharing.

Update: I got it working. It turned out that the Ethernet cable which was plugged into the router wasn’t plugged in all the way.

Last edited:

macworl16

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2016
New member here, I made a separate thread but I figured this might be a better place to post my issue. Copied below:

My biggest problem is that none of my browsers (Safari, Chrome, and Firefox) will load Netflix, Philo, or any other video/movie streaming website. I've tried a couple of fixes found online, but none of them are truly applicable to my situation. When I type in these web addresses, the spinning blue circle is very slow, and the page simply never loads. When it does (after 10 minutes...), I can't click past the log-in pages. I do *not* receive any sort of error messages. The pages just don't load! Any advice appreciated!

Update--I just tried to access both Netfix and Philo in SafeBoot and they both work there, but not when rebooted. I disabled all log in items except flux. What does this mean?

jblagden

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2013
^^ have you run EtreCheck already?

Also, what computer, OS version, and RAM? (although EtreCheck will show that if you post the results)
I just ran it. I didn’t know about EtreCheck until you mentioned it. My Mac is a late 2011 13” MacBook Pro with a 480 gigabyte Sandisk Ultra II Solid State Drive. It’s running Mac OS X 10.11.3.

Here are my results:

Attachments

• EtreCheck 1:22:15.pdf
    121.1 KB · Views: 843

howiest

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2015
Left Coast
On first blush my thoughts are that you could really benefit from a clean install. It appears to be a system updated and carried over for a while.
I want to wait and see what some of the more knowledgeable among us have to say about the EtreCheck result.

One thing I would try, is to create a new user login (with Admin privileges) in El Capitan, and see if you get the same problems when logged in with that new user. That would indicate whether the issue is with your main system, or just your old User folder.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I just ran it. I didn’t know about EtreCheck until you mentioned it. My Mac is a late 2011 13” MacBook Pro with a 480 gigabyte Sandisk Ultra II Solid State Drive. It’s running Mac OS X 10.11.3.

Here are my results:

Whoa.... you have a LOT of third party launch and startup items running there, any one of which could be causing this. Try this... hold the shift keep at boot to start in safe mode and then see if that fixes Internet sharing. Safe mode bypasses all those startup and launch items, so if that fixes it you know it is a conflict with a launch or startup item. Then you just have to start removing them until you find the one causing the problem. No easy way to do this.

jblagden

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2013
Whoa.... you have a LOT of third party launch and startup items running there, any one of which could be causing this. Try this... hold the shift keep at boot to start in safe mode and then see if that fixes Internet sharing. Safe mode bypasses all those startup and launch items, so if that fixes it you know it is a conflict with a launch or startup item. Then you just have to start removing them until you find the one causing the problem. No easy way to do this.
I managed to fix the Internet sharing issue. Now I’m having an issue with Spaces where I’ll set a different background for each one and then they revert to the default El Capitan background the next time my Mac boots.

choreo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2008
Midland, TX
Safe Sphere (Password Database I have been using for many years) not "launching" as expected, but there is a temporary workaround.

If you double-click the app, it will launch, but cannot find database on it's own. After manually linking it up in the Home Library, it will launch, but will not "remember" the location of the database?

If you double-click the database it says "No Associated Application can be found". If I do a Get Info it says "Always open with Safe Sphere" (as it should), but does not work.

The good news is that I can at least manually get to my hundreds of Password records. It will take me at least 2 long days to manually copy all that info into a new more current Password app. Already been through this several years ago with "The Serial Keeper" when it vanished.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
No, I mean Spaces. But I managed to fix it 75% by updating the CUDA driver. Now 3 of 4 spaces are cooperating. Maybe I should just uninstall CUDA.
"Spaces" isn't its own thing anymore in modern OS X versions; I believe that's what the Mission Control comment was about.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
I managed to fix the Internet sharing issue. Now I’m having an issue with Spaces where I’ll set a different background for each one and then they revert to the default El Capitan background the next time my Mac boots.

I had that problem when I first upgraded. I forget how I fixed it, though. Maybe deleting all the spaces first and then recreating them and then setting their backgrounds again? Hmmm, I think I rebooted after deleting them and then created them and filled them and then it stuck (some config file probably got corrupted somehow). I THINK that's what I did, but I'm not certain. They are working fine again here, so there is a solution regardless.

"Spaces" isn't its own thing anymore in modern OS X versions; I believe that's what the Mission Control comment was about.

Yeah, I just assumed he meant the spaces within Mission Control (unless there is a 3rd party utility to restore the original version; I never looked for one as I like the new one just fine and have 8 spaces on one monitor and 6 on the other, mostly so I can have matching backgrounds to choose from. I don't actually use all of them at once most of the time. I will use 2 or 3 quite often, though.

Reactions: jblagden

Cinemagic

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2007
Screen Share across the Internet does not work with 10.11.4 beta 1, 2 and 3 (the latest). Screen Share Intranet does work. Internet screen share - no go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.