Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
Hmm... It could be a file location bug. Is the El Capitan app name "Install OS X El Capitan.app"? Also is your partition HFS+ Case Sensitive?
El Capitan is slower than MB4,1 and USB is wonky since the chipset is completely unsupported.

If you are using a traditional Disk-spinning Hard Drive, it would be very slow at startup in general. My MBP (mid 2010) had an average boot time of 2~ minutes. Taking into account the patches added to the OS, it should normally take 3-4 minutes. Boot-up in verbose mode and check if it's hanging somewhere.
------------------------
Thank you very much TRMJIJ for your answer. :)
I had the right installer for ElCapitan that you mention but up to now it did not work.
I will wait for your coming "new-new" Extractor and try ElCapitan again but ...in an external USB disk. I am too afraid to do it with the internal Yosemite HD.:(
I actually have presently in my MB 4.1 a SSD inside but it is of course still connected to an old SATA inner connection so that the improving is relatively small compared to a spinning HD.
What truly puzzles me :confused: is that (without changes made by me I might notice), some files get inaccessible on a regular basis slowing considerably the booting.
DiskWarrior finds them and corrects them and for a while the booting time becomes "normally" short for my hacked Yosemite in my MB 4.1.
However for (to me entirely) misterious reasons :confused: the system on a regular basis gets somehow"corrupted", the booting becomes slow again :( and I must use DiskWarrior once again to correct it.
Do you know of reasons which might explain such a regular corruption of some files in a hacked (MCPF) Yosemite in a MB 4.1 :rolleyes: and if you do, is there a way you can figure or an app you know, so that I avoid in advance that regular kind of corruption corrected only for a while with DiskWarrior? :rolleyes:
Thank you in advance for any help.:)
Regards.
Ed
[doublepost=1536699151][/doublepost]
ok i get it thanks @Riwam for your help

another question.
I know Hardware acceleration is not supported with unsupported macs but is there now a way? its now several years and maybe there is a solution. OpenGL would be awesome.
I found something on the web called "OpenGL Beta Mod (10.9 - 10.12).pkg" but I really dont know how to install it.
does someone have made any exp with this mod? or are there newer kexts for GMA X3100?

currently I installed a kext and it works it also recognizes my graphic card but only 144mb. doesnt the X3100 have more mb?
144 MB is the correct value of the X1300, just to reassure you.;)
Regards
Ed

wgantner

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2018
MacBook 4,1 (13-inch, Early 2008) | 4 GB Ram
Yosemite 10.10.5

Finally I got Yosemite running and updated successfully to 10.10.5.

It took me some time figuring out how to install Kexts, and
rm PlatformSupport.plist and sudo nvram boot-args=“kext-dev-mode=1″...
But finally it worked.

But I need support for moving on with installing Apples Security Update 2017-003...
After installing MacBook boots up and gets stuck when entering the User password at Login Screen.

Does anybody have a hint how to get Security Update 2017-003 for Yosemite on Macbook 4,1 working...

Thanks a lot.

Please. Again...
I know a lot of you made it much further ... installing OS Yosemite and even El Capitan...

Just a hint on my dead end...

MB 4,1 with Yosemite 10.10.5
How can I install Security Update 2017-003 without being stuck in a loop in the Login Screen.

Thanks a lot

Creilor

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2018
------------------------
[doublepost=1536699151][/doublepost]
144 MB is the correct value of the X1300, just to reassure you.;)
Regards
Ed

ok thanks for the info.
but still there needs to be a way to enable hardware acceleration in yosemite with unsupported macs. 4 years development and still no HA. :(

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
Please. Again...
I know a lot of you made it much further ... installing OS Yosemite and even El Capitan...

Just a hint on my dead end...

MB 4,1 with Yosemite 10.10.5
How can I install Security Update 2017-003 without being stuck in a loop in the Login Screen.

Thanks a lot
Sorry if you already did it but... what about trying it after booting in safe mode? :rolleyes:
I did not actually live your particular situation to be honest.
In my case it does not loop at booting after any Apple Security Update... but the sound disappears.:mad:
By installing again the "Apple HDA.kext" with the "kext utility" and rebooting, I get built in mike and speakers working again.;)

By the way I am very enthousiastic about using Disk Warrior to correct volume problems.
No matter if it is the 4.4, the 5 or the 5.1 but it must be done from an external volume running Lion, ML, Mavericks... Yosemite.
I keep a Lion in a USB key, boot from it and Disk Warrior repairs any damage in my Yosemite 10.10.5.
What about trying it before the Security Update...?:rolleyes:
Maybe afterwards it works, who knows?
Good luck!
Ed
[doublepost=1536760650][/doublepost]
ok thanks for the info.
but still there needs to be a way to enable hardware acceleration in yosemite with unsupported macs. 4 years development and still no HA. :(
Although I am not a Microsoft fan, I must say that in my 11 years old MacBook 4.1 Windows 10 shows movies for instance fluently while in my Yosemite the lack of hardware acceleration either shows them stattering or not at all. :confused:
Since old MacBooks allow with their Bootcamp Assistent only Windows 7, one must format with Disk Utility a part of the inner drive in NTFS.
With the help of a newer Mac or a Windows computer the Media Creation Tool allows to download from Microsoft he newest Windows 10 iso.
After burning it to a DVD one can begin the installation and use the downloaded Bootcamp drivers, most of which work also in newer Windows than the 7. Windows driver tools, of which some are free or restricted free, allow to update some of the drivers afterwards.
It's astounding how well Windows 10 works at least in my old MB 4.1 and yet the hardware is the same without acceleration! ;)

HERE IS A SUGGESTION TO SEE mkv Videos in an HACKED YOSEMITE; o_O Elmedia Video Player.
While most video players show image without sound or (most commonly like the VLC player) sound without image :mad:, I was pleasantly surprised that in my MB 4.1 with a hacked Yosemite this Elmedia gave for a mkv video both sound and image ;).
Still I find that on the same old computer, the Bootcamp Windows 10 renders videos much more fluently (although the lack of Graphic Acceleration depends AFAIK on the hardware... which remains the same for MacOS or Windows) but if you are looking for a video player for mkv videos on a hacked Yosemite for an old Mac, the Elmedia is worth trying! :rolleyes:
Avis videos are OK with the HD video player of VUZE ... and mp4 videos you can see with Quick Time.:)
Ed

HERE IS A FURTHER SUGGESTION TO SEE not only mkv Videos but even .avi Videos (for which the only possibility in an hacked Yosemite was the "HD Video Player" in the P2P application Vuze).
If you Install the mac burning software
TOAST it includes a ROXIO VIDEO PLAYER.
It shows in an hacked Yosemite nicely videos in different formats.
Ed

Last edited:

TrixxY

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2018
Hi There ... I finally found a was to reinstall Lion on our rusty MacBook Pro 2,2 Core2Duo/X1600

I'm stuck getting the patchtool running.
I got everything like in the description of extractor... It ends with an Error...
Any ideas?

TrixxY

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2018
What is the error?
No specific one...the tool stops with the Error Not beeing able to finish the stick...
Can I Upload a screeScree?

Attachments

• 15407557480479055834337314012529.jpg
    15407557480479055834337314012529.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 364

TrixxY

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2018
What he said

Seems like there is no connection to the servers, will try tomorrow again... couldn't find some kind of txt file ...
BTW what would be the recomendet newest OS I should run on the machine without having troubles.
AT the moment we just struggle with some browser problems, my boy needs to finish some training for school online, so the Safari Browser is not able to show the page correctly, Firefox is outdated (v47 is max for Lion)...Chrome seems to run stable o_O ...

It's a MacBook Pro alubody 2,2 with Intel 2,16GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB 667 DDR2 RAM, X1600 GPU, 120GB HDD(maybe upgrade to SSD) running Lion 10.7.5 ... it would be great to run some OS that is running stable and especially the browsers work good/stable. It's no playing machine (yet) and probably will end beeing my wifes Word/Excel Machine, maybe run my Hasselblad tethered (due to FW800 support) ... just something besides my iMac 27" which is under the roof/bureau...

TrixxY

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2018
OK folks... some success..
I copied the Yosemite app into the Hacker's Patch File folder after reinstall of the tool (did not unmount the drive with the folders) and copied the packages folder also into the Hacker's Patch File folder...

A USB Stick has been born and looked ok.
I checked all my possibilities and decided that the machine is running 64bit, so I didn't do the things to do on a 32bit machine. At bootup went into the menu and selected the stick to boot from...machine hangs up on grey screen with :apple: Logo...:confused:

Suggestions? Throw in the bin, get mad, get a 11" MacBook Air that can run newer OSs?

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
OK folks... some success..
I copied the Yosemite app into the Hacker's Patch File folder after reinstall of the tool (did not unmount the drive with the folders) and copied the packages folder also into the Hacker's Patch File folder...

A USB Stick has been born and looked ok.
I checked all my possibilities and decided that the machine is running 64bit, so I didn't do the things to do on a 32bit machine. At bootup went into the menu and selected the stick to boot from...machine hangs up on grey screen with :apple: Logo...:confused:

Suggestions? Throw in the bin, get mad, get a 11" MacBook Air that can run newer OSs?
Did tou try MacPostFactor?
I had a long fight with it but at the end (after many failures) I managed to have Yosemite running "reasonably well" (with unavoidable bugs and faults here and there I had to accept), in my MacBook 4.1 (originally limited to Lion according to Apple) with the hardware upgraded to a SSD hard drive and 6 GB DDR2 667 MHz RAM.
With the Extractor (the original one at the time) it caused in my case failures I neither understood nor could solve...
Ed

TrixxY

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2018
No, I did not try MacPostFactor... seems everything has some teaks to make. So I think I just will leave it on Lion. My boy has no clue and experience on the iNet, so need to keep it as simple as possible for him to not to disappoint him, it's for school online homework and it runs okay with Lion/Chrome...
I have installed Google Chrome and all features needed are in there, so will leave it like it is at the moment and update later to a newer model if needed (CoD4/BF2 running quite well ;) )...

bob_k

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2018
Dear members, my idea was to install new OSX from USB to the new SSD.

1. Is it really necessary that on the target Mac should be already some system (10.7.5 for example)?
2. Can I install new OSX to the external SSD and than just move it to MacBook (replace the disks)?
3. Which new OSX is more effective for old 4,1 MacBook?

Thank you in advance!

Boris

MacBook 4,1 OSX 10.7.5 6GB RAM

Last edited:
Reactions: Riwam

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
Dear members, my idea was to install new OSX from USB to the new SSD.

1. Is it really necessary that on the target Mac should be already some system (10.7.5 for example)?
2. Can I install new OSX to the external SSD and than just move it to MacBook (replace the disks)?
3. Which new OSX is more effective for old 4,1 MacBook?

Thank you in advance!

Boris

MacBook 4,1 OSX 10.7.5 6GB RAM
Hello Boris
I believe that in order to use the tools (in my case it was MacPostFactor) it must start from an existing MacOS (I began with Lion) and have the target OS installer inside the Applications folder.
I do not know if you can make the installation outside the Mac but you can try and see if it works for you.
Regarding which OS version might be best, it is difficult to answer.

I first reached Mountain Lion with the ML tool. Then I began with MacPostFactor.
It was not easy but after a lot of failures I reached first Mavericks and then Yosemite 10.10.5 (which is the last Yosemite).
You should try always with the last issue of any MacOSX since later updating can bring a lot of problems as other people in this thread reported.
The only updates I made were safety updates from Apple, as long as Apple delivered them for Yosemite.
Those Apple updates took the sound out of my Macbook 4.1.
To get it back I used the Kext Utility (easy to find) and put inside it the Apple HDA kext which comes with the files one downloads when using MacPostFactor.
Anyhow there are no more safety updates coming from Apple for Yosemite. It's over.

I did not manage to install El Capitan but TMRJIJ, the author of MacPostFactor and of the Extractor reported he had managed to do so.

I have the same Mac configuration you have with a SSD which I installed inside afterwards (cloning first my inner spinning HD to the SSD in an USB enclosure) and also, as you, 6GB RAM (which is the maximum this computer can accept).
Be prepared to accept possibly several failures before you finally succeed. :rolleyes:
Also take into account that many features and applications of those Macs supported by Apple will work only partially or not at all. :(
I do not have a "recovery partition" for instance, since how could I "recover" with it... a hacked OS?
This is the price one has to pay for running a hacked OS not intended by Apple to be compatible with your hardware.

I must acknowledge that for reasons unknown to me :confused:, my Windows 10 (which shares my inner SSD with Yosemite) can show videos in a much better and fluent way than Yosemite, in spite of using the same hardware and therefore lacking graphic acceleration as well.
Good luck! :)
Ed

Reactions: bob_k

bob_k

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2018
Dear Ed, thank you very much for answer! Well, not so easy :) I found actually some German manual how to do it with usb stick https://teachingnerd.wordpress.com/...en-auf-nicht-unterstuetztem-mac-installieren/

I should think one more time :)

Have a nice Sunday!

Best regards,
Boris

Hello Boris
I believe that in order to use the tools (in my case it was MacPostFactor) it must start from an existing MacOS (I began with Lion) and have the target OS installer inside the Applications folder.
I do not know if you can make the installation outside the Mac but you can try and see if it works for you.

I first reached Mountain Lion with the ML tool. Then I began with MacPostFactor.
It was not easy but after a lot of failures I reached first Mavericks and then Yosemite 10.10.5 (which is the last Yosemite).
You should try always with the last issue of any MacOSX since later updating can bring a lot of problems as other people in this thread reported.
The only updates I made were safety updates from Apple, as long as Apple delivered them for Yosemite.
To get it back I used the Kext Utility (easy to find) and put inside it the Apple HDA kext which comes with the files one downloads when using MacPostFactor.
Anyhow there are no more safety updates coming from Apple for Yosemite. It's over.

I did not manage to install El Capitan but TMRJIJ, the author of MacPostFactor and of the Extractor reported he had managed to do so.

I have the same Mac configuration you have with a SSD which I installed inside afterwards (cloning first my inner spinning HD to the SSD in an USB enclosure) and also, as you, 6GB RAM (which is the maximum this computer can accept).
Be prepared to accept possibly several failures before you finally succeed. :rolleyes:
Also take into account that many features and applications of those Macs supported by Apple will work only partially or not at all. :(
I do not have a "recovery partition" for instance, since how could I "recover" with it... a hacked OS?
This is the price one has to pay for running a hacked OS not intended by Apple to be compatible with your hardware.

I must acknowledge that for reasons unknown to me :confused:, my Windows 10 (which shares my inner SSD with Yosemite) can show videos in a much better and fluent way than Yosemite, in spite of using the same hardware and therefore lacking graphic acceleration as well.
Ed

bob_k

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2018
Well, Ed, that's interesting, I mean Windows. So, may be Windows or any other Linux OS will be better for this hardware? ;)

Best,

Boris

Hello Boris

Ed

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States
Windows 10 has the drivers available for Intel GMA graphics cards so it does have graphic acceleration. macOS 10.8-current does not due to Apple not being able to make newer OpenGL frameworks work properly (as seen in OS X 10.6.2-3 when these models had graphical issues). While developers Wayne Wong and Kelian Dumarais did figure it out in Mountain Lion, we had no such success going forward. Without the source code for these kexts and a person with the inherit ability to rewrite the kernel in order to allow our modified framework, it would not be remotely possible to native graphical acceleration in macOS for these unsupported macs without workarounds.

Reactions: bob_k

bob_k

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2018
Dear TMRJIJ, thank you very much for feedback! I'll jump to your Thread about El Capitan. Still very interested to keep some "fresh" OSX.

Best regards,

Boris

Windows 10 has the drivers available for Intel GMA graphics cards so it does have graphic acceleration. macOS 10.8-current does not due to Apple not being able to make newer OpenGL frameworks work properly (as seen in OS X 10.6.2-3 when these models had graphical issues). While developers Wayne Wong and Kelian Dumarais did figure it out in Mountain Lion, we had no such success going forward. Without the source code for these kexts and a person with the inherit ability to rewrite the kernel in order to allow our modified framework, it would not be remotely possible to native graphical acceleration in macOS for these unsupported macs without workarounds.

wflaw

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2018
presently Ct, Soon to change
Dear TMRJIJ, thank you very much for feedback! I'll jump to your Thread about El Capitan. Still very interested to keep some "fresh" OSX.

Best regards,

Boris
I downloaded yosemite on a MBP and made a bootable USB drive. After parts replacements, I am now ready to try installing yosemite on my 2007 white macbook 2,1. It is a 2.16 GHz T7400 processor with an SSD. My question for now is....
I've made the USB drive without macpostfactor. I need to know how I can put them together to (hopefully) install and have a working O/S. Do I somehow need to put the installer back in applications folder and start over or can I just put macpostfactor on USB? I probably know answer but I believe I've just been looking at it too long. I had to replace the logic board and reinstall 10.6.8 then 10.7.5 and here I am.

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
I downloaded yosemite on a MBP and made a bootable USB drive. After parts replacements, I am now ready to try installing yosemite on my 2007 white macbook 2,1. It is a 2.16 GHz T7400 processor with an SSD. My question for now is....
I've made the USB drive without macpostfactor. I need to know how I can put them together to (hopefully) install and have a working O/S. Do I somehow need to put the installer back in applications folder and start over or can I just put macpostfactor on USB? I probably know answer but I believe I've just been looking at it too long. I had to replace the logic board and reinstall 10.6.8 then 10.7.5 and here I am.
As far as I remember in case (it was a MB 4.1) the Yosemite installer (the last one 10.10.5) had to be among the Applications inside my Lion MacBook and MacPostFactor started from inside the MacBook with either the inner drive or an USB Key connected to the MacBook as the goal. I tried many many times with either way and after many unsuccessful efforts one day it finally began the Yosemite installation but it was hard to get to that point.
Patience is very important and not to lose one's nerves even more.
And once you succeed, by all means make a bootable clone of the Yosemite and keep a Lion in an external HD or USB Key with Disk Warrior in it since for (to me) unknown reasons, hacked Yosemites (at least my one) are prone to periodic corruption and Disk Warrior rebuilds it once started fron the external bootable media. The bootable Yosemite clone also prevents the risk of having to do the whole difficult installation again from the beginning which would be a PITA. If the inner Yosemite cannot be saved by Disk Warrior one can always start from the bootable clone, erase the inner HD and clone back.
Good luck.

starowesky

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2019
Hi there, I am currently trying to tackle this feat, meanwhile I am having some problems with trying both programs that the op suggested, but both are not even getting past step one. In autopatch for me I try to install the program on a usb, but it only starts the process, and maybe 10 seconds later it says it is cleaning up and fails the installation. Then with MacPostFactor, it doesn't even see my Yosemite file in the applications folder. I will admit to not having a "apple store acquired" copy of yosemite, but I have both the .dmg copy and .app copy, but its still not being recognized. (maybe thats the problem?) And last but not least, I am running on mb 4,1 with only 2.5 gigs of ram, but if this was to succeed, I would upgrade to an ssd, and more ram. I am just all out of ideas, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance, Starowesky.

EDIT: I now have a completely legit copy of yosemite in my possession, but same problems exist.

Last edited:

osmarjunior

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2019
Brazil
Hi, I've installed successfully the Yosemite in my macbook 4,1 with MacPostFactor, it's run ok, but I want to know is there something I can do to speed up the graphics? The macbook has Intel GMA X3100 144 MB. Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.