Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

ggkameleon

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2014
Hi ! I have a mackbook early 2008 4.1 with x3100 gpu and I want to upgrade it on mac os x Yosemite. I can install it with the last macPosfactor no mistake. But when I want install kext with macExtractor wont work the install bug all the time. I can download kext for x3100 and two kext for audio but when install it with kextUtillity after the dock disappear and black wallpaper ? I don't know if with the last macPosfactor I do install kext of x3100 ? And if someone can send me a link for download it ? Only update kext and openGL beta kext work on macosExtractor. I have test too airdrop kext but make immediatly black wallpaper and missing dock ?
I have test to remove kext but don't work. I do reinstall all yosemite.
When I go to system library coreservices the dock app are not compatible and said you are on 10.10.5 but do 10.12 for use it ?
Please help me
Thanks

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States
New macOS Extractor Update is being released. If you are still having issues with the AutoPatch Installer, please send in your Installer Logs.

macOS Extractor v1.44
An update to the macOS Extractor was released on May 29, 2019.

A macOSE update is recommended to assist you in installing macOS Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite, Mavericks, and Mountain Lion on your old Mac. Also, by updating the patching software on your Mac, you can enjoy various additional features and enhanced security. Always use to the latest version.
Never download this from any other provider. All links must link to this page or directly from our server. This is to ensure that nothing was tampered with and that you have the most reliable and tested software.

This update includes:
◦ Small Update to El Capitan and Sierra Specific Kexts
◦ Addressed Issue where AutoPatch would download El Capitan Kexts for Sierra
◦ Added Prelinked Kernels for macOS Sierra Patching
◦ Fixed missing El Capitan Prelinked Kernel that could result in AutoPatch Installation Failure
◦ New SIP Manager Kext added

Other Features in Previous Versions:
◦ Performance and Stability Improvements to the Installer
◦ Graphical Kext Installers now remove Unsupported Screen Savers
◦ El Captain and Sierra Patches now include SIP Check Detection
◦ Maintenance script now compresses Dock app resources
◦ [dev] AutoPatch main script now includes variables for each OS and steps required
◦ [dev] Graphical Kexts Web Installers now addresses changes in version control
◦ Address differences between Mountain Lion and other OSs’ BaseSystem
◦ Hides Framework error from installer logs (Not Important)
◦ Address Issue that would cause Mountain Lion Patching to fail due to file name errors.
◦ Adds an PostInst script within the AutoPatch that can be addressed through the Installer’s terminal
◦ Graphical Kexts are automatically downloaded to the Installer for use during patching.
◦ AutoPatch now verifies that the Installer is ‘bless’ to boot.
◦ Maintenance Script is now fully executable and includes more optimizations.
◦ Address issue where Graphics Kext Installer fails even when the kexts are installed.
◦ Addresses Rich Text Formatting that causes some scripts to not finish
◦ Fixed issue where the Graphical Installer fails after clearing kernel cache
◦ Addresses issue where the AutoPatch refuses to complete all of its tasks within the Target Partition/Image
◦ Fixes issue where some scripts are in rich text formatting
◦ Replaces brightness app with a new app recommended by a member is the Yosemite thread.
◦ Smart OS detection
◦ Installer Logs now echo its current process to help diagnose where more issues may occur.

Web Installer Size: 4 MB
Download Size: 70 - 170 MB
The Installer reads and downloads needed patches from our servers. You must have at least 180 MB of space for installation

Prerequisites

Tested Macs listed below. Here are the minimum requirements:

- Running 10.7 Lion
- At least 2GB of RAM.
- A copy of Yosemite or Mavericks in Applications Folder (.app file preferred)
- 15 GB of free space from USB or HDD Partition.

-MacBook2,x
-MacBook3,x
-MacBook4,x
-MacBookPro2,x
-MacBookAir1,1
-MacMini1,x (C2D upgraded)
-MacMini2,x
-iMac4,x (C2D can be upgraded)
-iMac5,x

We DON'T assist with Hackintosh. All private messages/emails involving installing OS X on non-Apple hardware will be redirected to another support team.

How to Use It:
1. Download macOS Extractor
2. Install it. Choose a version of macOS/OS X to get the correct patches.
3. Open the AutoPatch in your Applications and view to corresponding guide for the OS you choose.

Download (Web Installer)
Download (Mega)
[doublepost=1559157371][/doublepost]Hey Guys, I'm alive.

If you are still having issues with the AutoPatch installation, please send me your full Installer Logs.
I'm going to spend the next month beta testing to fix these lingering issues and then see if I can get a few of these models up to Mojave.

mavz3

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2019
Okay guys, hooray. Thanks for the tips I was able to get Yosemite showing on my external display and correctly showing my ATI X1600 as having 128MB. I got Yosemite up on my Imac 5,1, after almost giving up, but it is working fine now.

Imac 5.1
Core 2 Duo 2.33 GHZ
ATI Radeon X1600
4 GB of Ram (only 3 GB addressable)
256 GB SSD Drive
Yosemite 10.10

I have a couple of questions for you guys

1) Is Graphics Acceleration (Core CL, Core GL) completely out of the equation for the ancient ATI Radeon X1600 on the even more ancient Mac system I have. I have applied the "Disable Graphical Animations) shell script and trackpad and system response is much quicker. However when it comes to video playback, for example VLC doesn't even work (no video) because of the lack of Open GL. Are there any other tips for better video quality playback that is out here. Currently to watch my HD Videos play smoothly I have to boot into Mountain Lion on another Hard Drive and watch it on there.

2) I currently have Yosemite 10.10 installed via the SFOTT USB install. I have Yosemite installed on multiple hard drives, one that is my main hard drive OS and the other to test out before making any changes to Yosemite on my primary Hard Drive.

How do I update Yosemite to 10.10.4. I tried on my secondary hard drive to download it from the app store and once installed that secondary drive would no longer boot Yosemite because I suppose the boot.efi is changed. So how can I update 10.10 to 10.10.4 Yosemite and be able to still boot up properly. Thanks for any guidance on doing so correctly.

Please mr CNiles38006 helpme i have a imac early 2006 and upgrade the cpu i have now mavericks but i could have the correct configuration for kext of ati radeon x1600 on mavericks i tri to search so many configurations buy dont find good ideas neiter have audio card

PbI6a

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2019
Hello. Have same problem with Radion X1600. I installed Mountain Lion 10.8.5 on my iMac early 2006 (4,1 up to 5,1 Core Duo T7400) via the SFOTT USB instal. Then installed audio kexts from Xserve kexts.
Now I still can't resolved video driver issue. There is no any links for downloading ATI Radeon X1600 kexts for (64 bit) MAC OS 10.8
OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion sees only 6 mb video memory on ATI x1600

techguy9

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2014
This also happens with the Nvidia ones (which you spelled wrong, btw).

Also if you use the Nvidia kexts from 10.6.2 combo update, they actually work, unlike these
I’m pretty late but did you really have working graphics for the 7300GT? I’ve been trying to inject the 10.6.2 NVIDIA kexts manually as the NVIDIA pkg from macOS Extractor links to a 404’d location (cc: @TMRJIJ ), but I’ve seen no change on my end. Perhaps you tested on a different NVIDIA graphics card?

nnm4evr

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2019
Have anyone Graphics (Intel GMA950 64Mb ID:0x27a2) and Sound (Intel HD Audio ID:34) kext's (Either the drivers or what it is called on Mac OS X) for MacBook 2,1 (end 2006) for Yosemite or Maverick?

P.S. macOS Extractor 1.44 doesn't support MacBook2,1 (end 2006) with Mac OS X 10.7.4, i use MacPostFactor 2.0.1 to install Yosemite.

Last edited:

Larsvonhier

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2016
Germany, Black Forest
Hi ! I have a mackbook early 2008 4.1 with x3100 gpu and I want to upgrade it on mac os x Yosemite. I can install it with the last macPosfactor no mistake. But when I want install kext with macExtractor wont work the install bug all the time. I can download kext for x3100 and two kext for audio but when install it with kextUtillity after the dock disappear and black wallpaper ? I don't know if with the last macPosfactor I do install kext of x3100 ? And if someone can send me a link for download it ? Only update kext and openGL beta kext work on macosExtractor. I have test too airdrop kext but make immediatly black wallpaper and missing dock ?
I have test to remove kext but don't work. I do reinstall all yosemite.
When I go to system library coreservices the dock app are not compatible and said you are on 10.10.5 but do 10.12 for use it ?
Please help me
Thanks
Why stop at 10.10. when you can run Mojave (and even Catalina) the same way on the MB4,1? Take a look at the posts in the Mojave on unsupported machines forum...

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
Why stop at 10.10. when you can run Mojave (and even Catalina) the same way on the MB4,1? Take a look at the posts in the Mojave on unsupported machines forum...
Because lacking graphic acceleration, having only 144 MB Graphic RAM and a not very powerful CPU even in Yosemite the quality of the computer is just bearable.
The fan makes quite a lot of noise to keep the inner temperature particularly the one of the CPU within limits. Graphic glitches must be accepterd like kind of lined frames around some windows. To watch a modern large size movie you must accept non fluent unnatural movements. :( I watch therefore such movies on the Bootcamp Windows 10 side which shares the inner SSD with Yosemite.
If someone can install a newer MacOS than Yosemite with Graphic Acceleration as it works on Windows 10 then he might enjoy the Mac. I regard myself as lucky that an over 11 years old computer still can be used at all and accept Yosemite as my limit. I have no skills to change the motherboard, the CPU and the GPU but if someone has those skills I do not see why invest his/her time and efforts in such an old case.:confused:
The hardware was built by Apple for Lion. Do not forget it. I do not pretend to know more than the builder! :rolleyes:
Ed

Last edited:
Reactions: ggkameleon

Larsvonhier

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2016
Germany, Black Forest
Because lacking graphic acceleration, having only 144 MB Graphic RAM and a not very powerful CPU even in Yosemite the quality of the computer is just bearable.
The fan makes quite a lot of noise to keep the inner temperature particularly the one of the CPU within limits. Graphic glitches must be accepterd like kind of lined frames around some windows. To watch a modern large size movie you must accept non fluent unnatural movements. :( I watch therefore such movies on the Bootcamp Windows 10 side which shares the inner SSD with Yosemite.
If someone can install a newer MacOS than Yosemite with Graphic Acceleration as it works on Windows 10 then he might enjoy the Mac. I regard myself as lucky that an over 11 years old computer still can be used at all and accept Yosemite as my limit. I have no skills to change the motherboard, the CPU and the GPU but if someone has those skills I do not see why invest his/her time and efforts in such an old case.:confused:
The hardware was built by Apple for Lion. Do not forget it. I do not pretend to know more than the builder! :rolleyes:
Ed
We had that kind of discussions going on a lot of times, pls. not once more.
Actually, Mojave runs a lot better and smoother on the MB4,1 than Yosemite or El Cap. This might have to do
with the OpenGL-to-Metal transition that Apple did, and some under-the-hood optimizations on that process.
Perhaps you really switch over here and have a look yourself. Comparison of performance here.
If not, fine, but spare us phrases like "know more than the builder". The builder (Apple) has abandoned many machines for dubious reasons, mostly during El Cap to Sierra upgrades of macOS.
As everyone is free to choose (and I just pointed out one of many options for this machine), have a nice evening!

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
We had that kind of discussions going on a lot of times, pls. not once more.
Actually, Mojave runs a lot better and smoother on the MB4,1 than Yosemite or El Cap. This might have to do
with the OpenGL-to-Metal transition that Apple did, and some under-the-hood optimizations on that process.
Perhaps you really switch over here and have a look yourself. Comparison of performance here.
If not, fine, but spare us phrases like "know more than the builder". The builder (Apple) has abandoned many machines for dubious reasons, mostly during El Cap to Sierra upgrades of macOS.
As everyone is free to choose (and I just pointed out one of many options for this machine), have a nice evening!
I am free to believe that Apple engineers know better than many other people including YOU, Your Honor Mr. Larsvonhier Esquire.
If you do not like opinions different to yours, the Macrumors Forum is not for you.:rolleyes:
Here we write what we believe and nobody, even if he or she entirely disagrees with a post, has a censorship right over such opinions.
I do not believe that an early 2008 MB4.1 is made to run modern MacOS.
If you think it differently is up to you.
I do not intend „to spare us (whoever those US are...:confused:) phrases“ you dislike.
I will continue to say what I believe and as long as I do not offend any other member, which I never do, I feel it to be my legitimate right.
This will be the case as long as this forum is not hosted in a dictatorship country, which luckily it isn‘t and hopefully will never ever be.
When I will need to be taught about anything, I will choose my teachers and you won‘t certainly be one.
Respect and friendship for other people and to be open to other ideas are needed to be a good teacher and instructor and obviously you are lucking both.
:mad: It is not by ending your arrogant post with a „have a nice evening“ that you correct yourself.
Pity that not everyone in this forum keeps the rules of politeness and kind behavior but luckily most people here do it.:rolleyes:
„It takes all kind of people to make a world“.
Obviously also arrogant ones who „know it better“...

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
@Riwam I´m totally sorry that my comments (that were initially not meant specifically for you but @ggkameleon and the general public here in this thread) upset you.
Thank you very much!
As they say „Adel verpflichtet“ and you are a perfect sample of that as I see.
Thank you very very much for your kind apologizing.
All the best!
Recht freundliche Grūsse!
Edmund

Last edited:

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
We had that kind of discussions going on a lot of times
Since you have much more technical knowledge than the little I have, would you please read my post in my thread „Need Help: No Dock and Solid Black Desktop“ that I just put in this section of the forum.
Maybe you find out how to help me.
Thanks!
Edmund;)

Reflex79

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2019
Hello I have a Late 2006 black Macbook (1181 model, 2 GHZ C2D GMA 950), i tried to install Yosemite using MacOS Extractor and setting an external USB stick of 32 GB like explained in the guide. Unofortunately the installation process stops at the beginning, the display just shows the apple logo and i hear the CPU fan spinning very loud, but after about one hour nothing happens.
What is the issue?

(I used already used MLPostFactor but only get 6MB of grafic memory used so the system was completely useless and unusable)

ggkameleon

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2014
Yes Thank you. I can make update to 10.10 and run good no mistake. But I can update more to Mojave ? It work same ? all work ? on 10.10 all work fine with patch. Thank you I see it

ggkameleon

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2014
Ed
Yes I think Yosemite are the last upgrade for the 2008.

slvrscoobie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2013
NJ
ive got a macbook 4.1 i picked up at a sale for $5. I got to lion but im trying to get Yosemite or higher (if its better) on it just to leave it plugged in for remote support - Ive tried MLFactor and Macfactor but both fail. I booted into the OSX Hackers screen once, but when it rebooted it was in the recovery partition. The next time i did it with ML and did it to the external drive, then tried booting it, and booted the OSX boot, tried for a minute then i got the main OSX Lion recovery and had to restore from TM. Am I missing something?

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
ive got a macbook 4.1 i picked up at a sale for $5. I got to lion but im trying to get Yosemite or higher (if its better) on it just to leave it plugged in for remote support - Ive tried MLFactor and Macfactor but both fail. I booted into the OSX Hackers screen once, but when it rebooted it was in the recovery partition. The next time i did it with ML and did it to the external drive, then tried booting it, and booted the OSX boot, tried for a minute then i got the main OSX Lion recovery and had to restore from TM. Am I missing something?
With MacPostFactor 2.0.1, a Yosemite final version 10.10.5 installer App and enough patience it is possible (using an external USB key) to turn that key to a Yosemite installer. Booting from that installer the Yosemite installation should begin. However in some cases the result is not usable because the Graphic Card with 144 MB video RAM is not recognized and the mere 6 MB which are seen give a terribly shaking desktop. Also sound in and out might not be recognized. Maybe you are lucky and do not get those problems. I had them recently when trying to reinstall 10.10.5 in my MB 4.1.
Since I had a Yosemite in the past already installed (I do not know how it succeeded then but it was not easy!) with the first issue of MacPostFactor in my MB 4.1, I had made external bootable clones of it. Not everyone has them I am aware if he never did it before as I did.
I used the Migration Assistant of that faulty Yosemite without sound and without the right graphics to import all the data and settings of such a clone. By doing so I had again at the end of the Migration a reasonably working Yosemite with the graphics and sound as they should be.
Actually all this trouble should not be necessary and the MacPostFactor alone should give a good working Yosemite using the right App Installer 10.10.5 but in many cases this does not happen. I have no idea why.
In the Mojave part of this forum there is a thread how to install it in unsupported Macs but I do not have enough skills for that procedure. Search for it.

Edit:I found a Safety update for 10.10.5 recently issued by Apple.
I feared it might break the fragile Yosemite and made a clone for precaution before installing it.
However I could install it and return the sound in and out that already in my previous installation disappeared as a result from installing any update by Apple.
To solve it I downloaded the free Kext Utility one finds googling the web
In the „Hack“ files to be found among the Applications one opens one of the 3 Elements inside it where many kexts and utilities are found and put there the unzipped Kext Utility just downloaded.
In the window it opens I waited till it stopped activity and dragged to it the Apple HDA.kext. It was processed and after rebooting I had again sound in (built-in microphone) and sound out (built-in speakers) as before the Safety update installation.
If the notification appears again, in a thread in the Mojave section bogdanw indicates how to disable it in the AppStore icon in the Dock by a command in the Terminal.

Last edited:

Russianboy

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2019
Great respect for the developers of this method! it’s very cool that the discussion is still alive in 2019. I am from Russia, and we still have a lot of people using laptops from 2007-2010. I think this is not so relevant in the USA or Europe, but in countries with poor economies this is a very useful topic.
• Help, I have a Macbook 3.1 2007 late A1181 is there a decent solution to get the maximum memory for gma x3100? and how to make sleep work normally? Thank you very much in advance!

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
Great respect for the developers of this method! it’s very cool that the discussion is still alive in 2019. I am from Russia, and we still have a lot of people using laptops from 2007-2010. I think this is not so relevant in the USA or Europe, but in countries with poor economies this is a very useful topic.
• Help, I have a Macbook 3.1 2007 late A1181 is there a decent solution to get the maximum memory for gma x3100? and how to make sleep work normally? Thank you very much in advance!
You will need a lot of pafience and try it again and again.
Before anything you should make a bootable clone of the MacOS now installed in that MacBook.
You can use Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper!
Then check that clone if you can boot the MacBook with the Option Key from that clone. If you do not succeed to install a newerMacOS at least you can go back to the old present MacOS.
Then you can try MacPostFactor and use a USB key to put there the Yosemite 10,10.5 installer (the 10.10.5 Yosemite.app must be present in your MacBook among the Applications).
It will probably be necessary to try several times until you succeed.
I do not believe there is a way of using the awake from sleep feature in a hacked Yosemite.
I always start it with the power on key.
Just be patient if it does not work and repeat it until the graphic card is recognized with all the 144MB video RAM.
It was very difficult for me.
Maybe you have better luck. I hope you succeed!

Russianboy

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2019
Thanks for the advice! I’ve been doing this for the fourth day, as soon as I found the right image of the system and was able to install. It took a lot of attempts.
[automerge]1573954674[/automerge]
But working with graphics is very difficult. New Photoshop is very slow even with a video driver, and in general the whole system is very slow because of the small memory on an already weak video card (

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
Thanks for the advice! I’ve been doing this for the fourth day, as soon as I found the right image of the system and was able to install. It took a lot of attempts.
[automerge]1573954674[/automerge]
But working with graphics is very difficult. New Photoshop is very slow even with a video driver, and in general the whole system is very slow because of the small memory on an already weak video card (
That cannot be improved with a MacBook too old. It is a miracle it still works. My Windows computers did not work after so many years.
You can improve your old MacBook with a SSD hard drive if you still have a usual spinning one. Maybe you can add some more RAM if your MacBook accepts more RAM. The Chinese sell RAM modules of old types. I bought a 4 GB DDR2 module trough eBay.
However first check how much it will take. My MB 4.1 from Early 2008 did not accept more than 4+2 GB RAM and if you have an even older MacBook it will probably accept even less. You can find in Mactracker the Maximum it will accept.
I believe it will be better not to try to use very new software.
Good Luck.

Last edited:

MacThesaurus

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2017
Good day,

I am trying to install Yosemite 10.10.5 downloaded from App Store and also 10.10.0 on Mac Mini 2007 C2D 2,16 GHz. But after running AutoPatch and trying to restart from installer disk, it stucks on grey background with Apple logo. I tried both with original and replaced boot.efi files. What else can I do to have it worked?

I have 64 bit processor but System Profiler says my system is 32 bit, so I believe I should use replaced boot.efi but also tried with original ones.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.