Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

moab1

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2019
I need advice on next Editing / storage solution and back-up plan
  • I'm a single owner/user doing video and photo production
  • 2019 Mac Pro 3.2Ghz 16-core, 192gb ddr4, Pro VegaII 32gb
  • Currently have 3 x Pegasus2 R4 units running in Raid 5 configuration from 30-36TB of data per unit. I'd like to move to one unit for my main editing/storage solution and considering the following. Back-up is done on single 3.5" drives per project (one on-site and one off-site using a RS dual dock)
  • Looking for a rock solid editing and back-up plan. I'm not concerned about the price (within reason) as much as a solution that is bullet proof don't have to think about it.
  • Would like 80-100TB+ of online storage (need 20-40TB of storage for live editing projects). Other data will be accessed on occasion for Stock pulls, building treatments, reels, etc.
  • WIth OWC or Pegasus solution I'll be running the new Corning 15 or 30 meter fiber cable to a closet. I had the thunderbolt2 version that died after a year or two and am aware of the issues, hoping that the new version is better.

Considering:
  1. OWC Thunderbay Flex 8 w/ 8 x 14tb 3.5" drives in RAID 5 for
    1. BENEFITS:
      1. 98TB USEABLE. as main editing/storage bay.
      2. Cheapest solution: Total cost: $4,200 (Unit $1200 + Drives $3000 - purchased drives on amazon deal day - WD RED Pro 14tb)
    2. CONCERNS:
      1. T2 Chip issue
      2. RAID 5 SoftRAID - I don't want to deal with openZFS or anything else. Can't plug in another computer easily without software
      3. No RAID6 Option - RAID5 with 8 drives scares me
  2. Promise Pegasus32 8 bay drive (only sold by Apple with 8x4tb drives). I'd replace these with 14TB drives I own above.
    1. BENEFITS:
      1. RAID6 with 84TB USEABLE. as main editing/storage bay.
      2. ease of use with software I'm familiar with already from my R4 units
      3. No T2 chip issues and access it from other machine
    2. CONCERNS:
      1. More costly than OWC: Total cost: $6,000 (Unit $2900 + Drives $3000)
      2. RAID 5 SoftRAID - I don't want to deal with openZFS or anything else. Can't plug in another computer easily without software
      3. No RAID6 Option - RAID5 with 8 drives scares me
    3. NAS System - SYNOLOGY DS3617xs or something similar - 12 bay
      1. BENEFITS:
        1. Huge storage - 12bay in RAD6 - 140TB useable
        2. Other users could access/edit from if needed
      2. CONCERNS:
        1. More costly than OWC: Total cost: $7,000 (Unit $2900 + 12 Drives $4500-5000)
        2. Editing off of NAS - is that risky? I have room in Mac Pro to utilize a Pegasus sled or 30TB of U.2 storage or something for live projects but could see having all of my photography work on the NAS and editing that from there. But is that too risky?
        3. Too slow - My house isn't wired for 10Gbe (Cat5e not 6) so would need to run directly into Mac Pro or run it at 1Gbe speeds if located in a 'server room'. is 1GB speed to slow for editing?
        4. Synology quality/service concerns??
Would also love to hear how people are backing up their data - onsite and offsite in the 30TB - 100TB+ range (Small business owners). What's your system for working edits, back-ups, etc.

If you are using the new OWC Thunderbay Flex 8 or Pegasus32 - real world experience/headaches, etc.?

Thanks!

Average Pro

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2013
Cali
I suggest looking at the following for a back-up solution:
QNAP TL-D800C 8-Bay USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-C JBOD Enclosure ($636 B&H)

I purchased a QNAP TVS-872XT 8-Bay NAS Enclosure ($1898 B&H). This is where I keep all of my data that I access on a daily basis for all photo and video projects. I researched a lot of 8-bay systems and the QNAP received the best reviews, high customer support ratings and does not come preloaded with HDDs. I also like that it is connected to the Mac Pro via TB3.

I can attest that the customer support is phenomenal. When I first set it up the QNAP, I submitted a ticket through the website and quickly received a response to set up a date and time for a tech rep to call me. Every time I've spoken to a tech rep, I am not put through a screening process by a frontline untrained person. I talk to a professional level technician who provides direct instructions on what to do.

The reason I point out the "JBOD" is because I am getting ready to purchase one as an add-on to the NAS enclosure. The JBOD will serve as a back up.

Background: I was/am a fan of G-Tech. I was really excited when they released the G-Speed Shuttle. For weeks and then months, I could not find an independent review of the item. I emailed them several times asking to point me to a 3rd party review. I was looking for any excuse to purchase the Shuttle. Never received a response.

Here is a video review of the QNAP:

Best of luck with your choice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.