Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pawxpaw

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2019
does anyone have any actual experience with a palm phone?

I'm planning for a replacement for when my iPhone SE dies, and the palm looks perfect apart from the limited memory and battery life. i only use my phone for calls texts and podcasts, averaging less than 45 min screen time per day. the bluetooth streaming of podcasts when i drive will be a battery hog, but i can charge it while doing that. what actual battery life are people getting?

i don't hold much faith in apple releasing a small phone anytime soon, and as i bought a new SE this summer i should be good for a while. but the smaller palm looks great.
or what about rumours of a palm 2, with more storage and battery?
Thanks

Last edited:

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
ive seen lots of good and bad. but are the bad just complaining that it doesn't do what a bigger smartphone does? i don't need smartphone features 99% of the time.
I think the problem I read was the battery is too small so you're not using it as a smart phone and the battery still doesn't last very long.

I get the idea, but if you don't need a smart phone, maybe look into a feature phone?

pawxpaw

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2019
I think the problem I read was the battery is too small so you're not using it as a smart phone and the battery still doesn't last very long.

I get the idea, but if you don't need a smart phone, maybe look into a feature phone?
what feature phones? lol. there are basically none sold in north america. the alcatel flip is the only one in canada. and it's terrible.
and i want the qwerty keyboard, not T9. and the better contacts management found on smartphones. plus podcasts as mentioned.

so a smart phone is useful. i just barely use it beyond very basic tasks. i have computers for when i want a computer. i don't need or want to be "connected" 24/7 and don't use any media social or otherwise while out.

pawxpaw

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2019
also right now they are basically giving you the mophie battery case for free, and with a coupon code it is only $250 for the unlocked version. so with that battery case it should easily last me a day.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
what feature phones? lol. there are basically none sold in north america. the alcatel flip is the only one in canada. and it's terrible.
and i want the qwerty keyboard, not T9. and the better contacts management found on smartphones. plus podcasts as mentioned.

so a smart phone is useful. i just barely use it beyond very basic tasks. i have computers for when i want a computer. i don't need or want to be "connected" 24/7 and don't use any media social or otherwise while out.
Amazon is your friend. There are a whole lot of feature phones there.

Get a full fledged Android device. Your requirements justify it over a palm phone with little functionality and poor battery

The Nokia one in the link below runs Android One, which is a pretty good experience.

https://www.androidcentral.com/best-android-phones-under-200

pawxpaw

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2019
Amazon is your friend. There are a whole lot of feature phones there.

Get a full fledged Android device. Your requirements justify it over a palm phone with little functionality and poor battery

The Nokia one in the link below runs Android One, which is a pretty good experience.

https://www.androidcentral.com/best-android-phones-under-200
there's not any feature phones that i know of that have the correct lte bands needed for north america. up here in canada 3g networks are dying so 4g lte is a must. and like i said they dont do podcasts, and only have T9 texting and poor contacts. i need a full address book for instance.

as for another android i dont want a bigger phone. i had an iphone XS and hated it. cost isnt my issue, size is. i refuse to go bigger than an iphone SE ever again. i only got the XS as my older SE got wet and damaged. i had the XS for 8 months until costco had some more brand new SE in stock and i snagged one this summer.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
there's not any feature phones that i know of that have the correct lte bands needed for north america. up here in canada 3g networks are dying so 4g lte is a must. and like i said they dont do podcasts, and only have T9 texting and poor contacts. i need a full address book for instance.

as for another android i dont want a bigger phone. i had an iphone XS and hated it. cost isnt my issue, size is. i refuse to go bigger than an iphone SE ever again. i only got the XS as my older SE got wet and damaged. i had the XS for 8 months until costco had some more brand new SE in stock and i snagged one this summer.
So you've set yourself up for disappointment, but go with god

Just know you're making a mistake.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/6/18212311/palm-phone-review-time-well-spent-life-mode-lite-verizon

pawxpaw

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2019
So you've set yourself up for disappointment, but go with god

Just know you're making a mistake.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/6/18212311/palm-phone-review-time-well-spent-life-mode-lite-verizon
sure that review is bad, but there's plenty of recent ones saying it works well. that review is pointless as it was talking about the verizon accessory phone. not the stand alone unlocked new version.

i'm not rushing out to buy one, my SE is fine for now. more planning for the future and perhaps the palm phone mk2.

i'd rather have no phone than go with another big phone haha. if it comes down to it being impossible in the future ill get a flip phone and an ipod touch. but i think there will be more small options in the future as im not alone in my dislike for big phones.

ryankul

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2014
Michigan
does anyone have any actual experience with a palm phone?

I'm planning for a replacement for when my iPhone SE dies, and the palm looks perfect apart from the limited memory and battery life. i only use my phone for calls texts and podcasts, averaging less than 45 min screen time per day. the bluetooth streaming of podcasts when i drive will be a battery hog, but i can charge it while doing that. what actual battery life are people getting?

i don't hold much faith in apple releasing a small phone anytime soon, and as i bought a new SE this summer i should be good for a while. but the smaller palm looks great.
or what about rumours of a palm 2, with more storage and battery?
Thanks

Owned one for two months. The size, screen, usbc and even the look and weight were great. I got one before anyone had talked about battery life issues. I was only able to make it through a quarter or half the day at best before needing power. We are talking texts, two less then 5 minute phone calls and a little more. Turning on life mode helps but also shuts down communication which I need because of the wife and kids. If it were not for the horrendous battery life It would have been perfect for me personally. Maybe they will make another that doesn't require a battery case or to carry a battery bank everywhere.

Reactions: Ntombi

pawxpaw

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2019
Owned one for two months. The size, screen, usbc and even the look and weight were great. I got one before anyone had talked about battery life issues. I was only able to make it through a quarter or half the day at best before needing power. We are talking texts, two less then 5 minute phone calls and a little more. Turning on life mode helps but also shuts down communication which I need because of the wife and kids. If it were not for the horrendous battery life It would have been perfect for me personally. Maybe they will make another that doesn't require a battery case or to carry a battery bank everywhere.
i messaged palm and their response was basically "we're not able to talk about the mk2 phone... yet..." it gave the impression it's something that isn't too far away.

plus they are aggressively lowering the prices on the phone right now. clearing the old ones out maybe?

pawxpaw

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2019
i just grabbed one of these from ebay. $70 for a brand new one. at that price i'll give it a try. maybe i'll use it with my iphone se and just take it when I just need a backup. worst case they are selling used up here for double that..

Reactions: PseudoRegister

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
Palm? You mean as in Palm WebOS/Palm Pixi? Aren't those dead? WebOS as a phone OS died long ago and the app store stopped functioning long ago. Sad as they were really ahead of their time, even with wireless charging.

PseudoRegister

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2010
Florence, AZ
On the heels of the disappointing SE refresh ...

i just grabbed one of these from ebay. $70 for a brand new one. at that price i'll give it a try. maybe i'll use it with my iphone se and just take it when I just need a backup. worst case they are selling used up here for double that..

pawxpaw, can you update us on your experience? I'm right where you are. I don't want a big phone; very disappointed that the new SE is the size of an iPhone 8. When I leave the house and think I'll be needing/wanting to be reading, working, playing games I bring my iPad with me and tether it to my phone for web access.

I'd love for Apple to make a version of this running watchOS. Or maybe iOS would be fine, now that there's a separate flavor of the OS for iPads.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
My Apple Watch 5 + AirPods 2 pretty much made my iPhone redundant. It just sits at home on a charging dock being a wireless gateway to my watch seeing as I'm always near a Wifi. I like smaller screens. The SE2 is just an iPhone 6S without a headphone jack.

Modern smartphones are a disappointment and waste of money. All they're doing is costing more and only adding in redundant cameras.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.