Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Hi, from the online store website, I see three versions:

Parallels Desktop 15 for Mac
Parallels Desktop 15 for Mac Student Edition
Parallels Desktop 15 for Mac - Pro Edition

From the Parallels website, the Pro Edition requires annual subscription while the standard version is a one-time payment. However, when I looked at What's in the Box, they all have a "one-year subscription license" only. How come? Isn't the license of non-Pro version perpetual?

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
Parallels Desktop Standard can be purchased with a one-time license or by subscription. It is the only version still offering a one-time purchase option. Student licenses offer the Standard version at a discount.

Parallels Desktop Pro and Business versions are only available via annual subscription.

The Business and Pro versions offer additional features over Standard which you can find a list of at the bottom of this page.

I subscribed to the Pro version for a special lifetime offer of $50/year back when they started offering subscriptions and I love it.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Parallels Desktop Standard can be purchased with a one-time license or by subscription. It is the only version still offering a one-time purchase option. Student licenses offer the Standard version at a discount.

Parallels Desktop Pro and Business versions are only available via annual subscription.

The Business and Pro versions offer additional features over Standard which you can find a list of at the bottom of this page.

I subscribed to the Pro version for a special lifetime offer of $50/year back when they started offering subscriptions and I love it.

Thanks. Could you please let me know which one is a one-time license? They are seem to require subscription.

https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/mac/mac-accessories/software

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
From a quick look at the fine print on the page you linked to at the Apple Store it appears to me that all three versions they are selling are the annual subscription.

If you want the one-time version, I'd recommend buying it online from the Parallels Store.

You'll get the option to choose between one-time or subscription for the standard version after you click on the "Buy Now" button.

It can also be purchased there at a student discount for those who qualify.

Reactions: hajime

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
From a quick look at the fine print on the page you linked to at the Apple Store it appears to me that all three versions they are selling are the annual subscription.

If you want the one-time version, I'd recommend buying it online from the Parallels Store.

You'll get the option to choose between one-time or subscription for the standard version after you click on the "Buy Now" button.

It can also be purchased there at a student discount for those who qualify.

It is very strange that Apple does not sell one-time version. I would suspect customers just grab it without checking the details when purchasing their computer.

Actually I bought one many many years ago.
[automerge]1574597798[/automerge]

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.