Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyeluvmyimac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 27, 2002
Hey all...my first time....hope I enjoy it! Lol, I know I will.

Anyways, I have the new iMac 800mhz superdrive 512 ram etc etc just FYI and am in the process of researching for a comp for college.

It's been a logn time since the G4 was first introduced and I've heard a lot of the old speculation (like last year) about the g5, but haven't heard much since. Do you guys know anything like REAL time frames, guesses, speeds, etc.

Also I'm very interested in the PowerBook. I do digital video editing and such, so the power will be put to at least moderately good use. After reading things in a previous thread like "it gets way too hot" and "it's not very portable...too big" I'm not too sure on it now. This would be my only computer if I were to get it, do you think it will come with a superdrive anytime soon? Or DDR ram?

And lastly (sorry for the length of this), what is happening on Nov 5?!? I heard someone mention it earlier, but I have heard nothing about it, what is it? Thanks in advance for your responses, they will not go unappreciated! = )

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
I am thinking at MWSF, we will see some new sort of chip, probly not a G5, but a very nice G4. I am thinking a new chip, nice graphics, and speeds at 1.5GHz. My guess for the G5 is MWSF, around speeds of 2.0GHz.

As for the PowerBook, wait for the next update. If it doesn't have a Superdrive by then, then I don't believe it will have one for a while....

I am thinking DDR RAM for the PowerBook at the next update, and if not than, then shortly after. As for portability, I know someone who has one, and it is very portable. Make sure you get it a sleeve when you are taking it places.

And on Nov. 5th, people are thinking new PowerBooks and new iBooks.

shadowfax0

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2002
I ahve a TiBook 500, it's VERY portable, and decently powerful (the new 800 beats the original powerMAC 800, so that should give you an idea of speed :) ) I recommend if/when you get one go to http://www.timbuk2.com and get the Wide-Screen laptop sleeve, it's awesome, and you can custom order it in any colour or anything. It's *just* for the laptop, so it's very thin and nice (as long as you don't plan to carry anything else/have another abg for other stuff) Also, go to otherworldcomputing.com and get their screen protector (or any other screen protector) it's definately worth the $15-$20 to save your screen. Happy hunting!!

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
From that other thread...

... which has gone way off topic and gone over 150 posts, I don't think a new ibook is expected. The iBook will probably get a faster G3 sometime in 2003.

General consensus regarding 11/5 is (a) a 19" LCD monitor, (b) a 933MHz or 1GHz PowerBook G4, possibly with a SuperDrive; and (c) a new iApp of some kind.
The 667MHz PBG4 will likely be discontinued. The iApp may wait until MWSF. There may be a price drop on the 15" LCD iMac.

The IBM PPC 970 chip will debut in Macs in fall 2003. It will be a long wait, but we will be putting up with 1GHz G4s until then. Fall 2003 will be the debut of the Opteron (Hammer) 64-bit PCs too.

Rajj

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2002
32° 44' N 117° 10' W
No one really knows what to expect on Nov. 5, But I’m thinkin’ new Powerbook with superdrive, unfortunately a 1Ghz G4 and DDR Ram!!! :D :D

And not to step on your toes shadowfax0, but you can got to Target or Wal-Mart and get a screen protector for free!!! All you have to do is go to the layaway department and ask for some shipping foam or polyester paper or you can just keep the one that comes with your notebook!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :p ;)

vixapphire

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Los Angeles
Continuing the assumption that we'll see a 1 gig and, say a 933 lower-end (personally, I think it'll be more likely a 1gig/800M line), how low do you expect the 800M's to drop where/if they're still available? How about the 667's if there's no 933 and/or if the new line is 933/800?

As a point of reference, I bought my 450 G3 powermac about a week after the G4's came out and its price had dropped from $3499 down to $1800 in that time b/c it was totally replaced (obviously).

Since I haven't really followed these post-new-product-introduction price fluctuations in replaced/newly-outdated product, I'm interested to hear from anyone who has, or who can speak intelligently based on other recent-past product introductions/replacements by Apple. My feeling is that prices of the replaced product are no longer dropping as much as it used to, for whatever reason, but I'm not well-informed. Buying a new 1gig would be nice, but if it's going to be a dinosaur in 8 mos when a new processor/significantly upgraded device may be released, I'd be more inclined to save the quid and go with an "obsolete" 667 or 800 instead... I mean, for Logic Audio and Office.x, how much of an impact will an upgraded Radeon video chip make anyway, right?

Thanks for your thoughts,

vixapphire

(before anyone starts flaming, "dinosaur" is only a figure of speech, o.k.? no reason to have an aneurysm over it).

(edited for end-comment and some grammatical fixes)

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
I'm guessing (hoping) the angry people got their aggression out in the other thread and now we're done.

The guy over at MacNN is sticking by his guns for a pre-2003 PowerBook revision, so I guess that's a good sign. At least it's not a bad one.

Eye, if you're looking to go mobile, I'd guess that whatever comes out -- either on 11/5 or at MWSF -- will meet your needs nicely. I just wouldn't buy what's out there now; WORST case scenario is that you've gotta wait about two months. In the grand scheme of Apple product cycles, that's not much.

eyeluvmyimac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 27, 2002
Hey all,

Thanks for all the help/comments/suggestions/what have you.

It's been quite useful. As I've been reading "the mac world seems to be tightly knit". I'll wait to see what develops by MWSF, if nothing new comes AT the MWSF, then whatever came out on Nov 5 should at least be at a lower price.

I'm still pretty worried about the enormous amounts of heat genereated by the PB, having never used one, I cannot say I've had experience with it, but from reading various threads on here, and then checking out the discussion boards at apple.com, I'm kinda worried. Maybe the new rev will fix that :confused:

Thanks again!

BenderBot1138

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2002
Heat on Powerbook

Hey c'mon, there's exactly no more heat on a Powerbook than on any other Computer. Yes, you can feel thermal properties on a 1 inch thin computer (1 inch includes the flip up display by the way).

I use a PB 800 MHz - 60 GB - with 1 GB RAM. Yes I feel thermal properties but it is nothing to worry about at all. If your totally stressed about some people complaining about an electronic device displaying thermal properties, take Apple's word for it and don't listen; or take my word that these people are the same people who complain that their fridge is warm on top, or that the water tastes funny.

After hours of use, or after leaving it on for days and days, I can fold the PB up into sleep mode and put it in my Brenthaven Titanium 1 carrying case along with my Canon Optura 200 MC DV Camcorder and all the chargers, batteries, and cords that connect them and the total weight is just about 10 lbs (around 4.5 Kg metric).

I used to use a PC, but beleive you me, now I think they're PP. My name is BenderBot1138 and I'm very cool using my Powerbook. :D

BenderBot1138

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2002
Heat on Powerbook

Hey c'mon, there's exactly no more heat on a Powerbook than on any other Computer. Yes, you can feel thermal properties on a 1 inch thin computer (1 inch includes the flip up display by the way).

I use a PB 800 MHz - 60 GB - with 1 GB RAM. Yes I feel thermal properties but it is nothing to worry about at all. If your totally stressed about some people complaining about an electronic device displaying thermal properties, take Apple's word for it and don't listen; or take my word that these people are the same people who complain that their fridge is warm on top, or that the water tastes funny.

After hours of use, or after leaving it on for days and days, I can fold the PB up into sleep mode and put it in my Brenthaven Titanium 1 carrying case along with my Canon Optura 200 MC DV Camcorder and all the chargers, batteries, and cords that connect them and the total weight is just about 10 lbs (around 4.5 Kg metric).

I used to use a PC, but beleive you me, now I think they're PP. My name is BenderBot1138 and I'm very cool using my Powerbook. :D

gotohamish

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2001
BKLN
Originally posted by shadowfax0
I ahve a TiBook 500, it's VERY portable, and decently powerful (the new 800 beats the original powerMAC 800, so that should give you an idea of speed :) )

Yeah, in every system benchmark I've done, my TiBook 500 is slightly quicker than my G4 500 Tower, though I'd say the tower is more responsive, though that's because of the 1.5GB of RAM and the quicker hard discs.

In a word though, they're both... snappy. :p

gotohamish

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2001
BKLN
Re: From that other thread...

Originally posted by cubist
... which has gone way off topic and gone over 150 posts, I don't think a new ibook is expected. The iBook will probably get a faster G3 sometime in 2003.

General consensus regarding 11/5 is (a) a 19" LCD monitor, (b) a 933MHz or 1GHz PowerBook G4, possibly with a SuperDrive; and (c) a new iApp of some kind.
The 667MHz PBG4 will likely be discontinued. The iApp may wait until MWSF. There may be a price drop on the 15" LCD iMac.

The IBM PPC 970 chip will debut in Macs in fall 2003. It will be a long wait, but we will be putting up with 1GHz G4s until then. Fall 2003 will be the debut of the Opteron (Hammer) 64-bit PCs too.

What do you think this new iApp will do? I'm thinking video conferencing with .Mac intergration. Nov. 5th will probably see the FULL RELEASE of iSync, complimenting the built-in Bluetooth on the NEW POWERBOOKS released alongside it.:D

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
regarding the release of TiBooks on the 5th November i thought that there would only be a speed-bump. but from seeing what everyone else has said on the subject now i think that i had my expectations set way too low.:p

DDR RAM would be absolutely awesome!!!:D i was just starting to get used to the idea of normal RAM until at least March next year. and as for a built-in superdrive i think that it is a real possibility at the next release (Nov. 5). Sony's already got it, and i don't think Apple will let the competition get too far ahead;) :D

now i'm really starting to get excited about the 5th!!:D :D

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
I like to keep my hopes down so I don't get dissapointed. I am expecting a 933 MHz g4, with DDR implementation, but no BlueTooth.

sharvari

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2002
Do you think there will be a new powerbook (.13 g4 maybe?) at jan macworld if there is a speed bump/superdrive/who knows on nov5? Or is it one or the other. I'm planning on buying one early next year so I'd rather not buy one and find out a new generation is released 2 weeks later.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.