Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marty1980

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 22, 2011
iPhone 5 and iPad (3rd gen wi-fi)

I am using my iPhone as a personal hotspot for my iPad. I turn on the hotspot feature on the phone, then connect to the hotspot using the iPad. I tell the iPad to remember and automatically connect to this network.

If I allow the iPad to sleep for more than a minute or two the connection is lost. If I wait the connection does not automatically reconnect. Instead I have to do the following:

* open Wi-Fi settings on the iPad
* open Peronal Hotspot settings on the iPhone
* wait for iPad to see the network (takes 2-3 times searching)
* occasionally I have to choose the hotspot as the network connection, but most of the time it reconnects automatically

I have to do this sequence of steps every time I come back to my iPad. The iPad and the iPhone are within 2-3 feet of each other most of the time with both of them sitting on my desk.

I can't tell if the problem is the hotspot feature or one of the devices. I had the problem occur occasionally while using it with a Mac Mini (mid 2007), but that computer kept the connection alive for longer periods of time. Though when I did have a problem the steps were pretty much the same.

Why doesn't the iPad stay connected?

Why do I have to have the iPhone on the hotspot settings screen before the iPad sees it?

Has anyone else experienced these connection issues? :confused:

widestload

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2008
manchester UK
I'm having the same thing happen. I've just got an ipad mini and I'm using my 4s hotspot as its connection to the net.

I had a nexus before this and so long as the two devices were within range the connection would never be lost.

From reading old threads I think it's because the hotspot only broadcasts the SSID for 5 minutes or so. And so once the connection is broken by the ipad going to sleep the phone turns the hotspot off and so we have to go back into the settings to broadcast again and allow for the connection.

There doesn't look to be a way around it in terms of settings, but I'm hoping that if I can find an app for the ipad which try's to refresh its data more frequently then the hotspot time out, maybe I can just leave it running on the ipad and that will sort things?

Zcott

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2009
Belfast, Ireland
Connect over Bluetooth. It'll stay connected until you turn it off, even in sleep mode.

Bluetooth connection is slightly slower and doesn't allow FaceTime or (apparently) iMessage but everything else works fine and it uses less battery than wifi.

pommie82

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2011
uk
I'am having the same problem with my iPad mini with my iPhone 4s unable to get a bluetooth hotspot and get surfing on the internet.This is really annoying for me because i always tether with my iPhone i wont be updating my os for a long time again.I just hope they bring out a fix quick because i'am unable to tether now.I cannot even get the bluetooth hotspot band up across my iPhone
at the moment.

widestload

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2008
manchester UK
Connect over Bluetooth. It'll stay connected until you turn it off, even in sleep mode.

Bluetooth connection is slightly slower and doesn't allow FaceTime or (apparently) iMessage but everything else works fine and it uses less battery than wifi.

Hmmm. I've tried this already for the past day or so, but they still seem to 'separate' soon after the ipad is put to sleep? At the moment I'm trying to set some apps up in different ways like mail, to see if I can find one which polls the connection often enough to maintain it.

Edit: saying that the Bluetooth does seem to be working better at holding the connection after now having reconnected by going to the iPads Bluetooth settings and connecting that way rather than opening the hotspot settings on the iPhone. Fingers crossed

Last edited:

Zcott

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2009
Belfast, Ireland
I am having this same problem with my mini and IP5 hotspot, problem is i dont want to use bluetooth as speeds are terrible compared to connecting over wifi, i suppose its just a case of turning hotspot on and off quickly each time

Speeds are slower but I wouldn't class them as terrible...

plcowart

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2013
I am having same issue with iPhone 5, iPad Mini and iPad 1. I did not have problem when I was using iPhone 4. Once I set it up, my iPad 1 would auto connect anytime iPhone 4 was within range and hotspot was turned on. This is how you would expect it to work. I am very disappointed with IP5 - thinking about going back to IP4 which is really silly. It seems to me this is an iPhone 5 issue i.e like a bug that Apple needs to fix. Can anyone shed more light on issue.

Rave1

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2013

I am using my iPhone as a personal hotspot for my iPad. I turn on the hotspot feature on the phone, then connect to the hotspot using the iPad. I tell the iPad to remember and automatically connect to this network.

If I allow the iPad to sleep for more than a minute or two the connection is lost. If I wait the connection does not automatically reconnect. Instead I have to do the following:

* occasionally I have to choose the hotspot as the network connection, but most of the time it reconnects automatically

I have to do this sequence of steps every time I come back to my iPad. The iPad and the iPhone are within 2-3 feet of each other most of the time with both of them sitting on my desk.

I can't tell if the problem is the hotspot feature or one of the devices. I had the problem occur occasionally while using it with a Mac Mini (mid 2007), but that computer kept the connection alive for longer periods of time. Though when I did have a problem the steps were pretty much the same.

Why do I have to have the iPhone on the hotspot settings screen before the iPad sees it?

If you get a hdmi lead from your ipad into the TV set ( cost about £10 of eBay ) put in to your tv it will stay on you can lock your phone and ipad and go to bed and the next day it will still be on hotspot , hope that helps you , dave

----------

If you get a hdmi lead from your ipad into the TV set ( cost about £10 of eBay ) put in to your tv it will stay on you can lock your phone and ipad and go to bed and the next day it will still be on hotspot , hope that helps you , dave
Ps, you don't need your tv on ( I took the lead out of the back of the set ( not out of the iPad ) and it still works ( still can't work that one out lol

E2EK1EL

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
The iPhone's Personal Hotspot feature disconnects after 30 secs from the last device connected.

When both my iPad 3 and iPhone 5 goes into a deep sleep, the iPhone 5 is not plugged into a power source and when I wake up the iPad 3, the connection is cut off. I have to manually wake the iPhone 5, unlock it and be back at the Personal Hotspot screen for the automatic reconnection to take place.

This has been the same battery power & "LIFE SAVER" saving feature since the IP4, IP4S and IP5. The Personal Hotspot feature broadcasts approx 20-30 mins longer if you have it plugged in to a charger.

There is net jailbreak app called MyWi on Demand, is uses the same hotspot method as stock, but uses a BT connection to trigger the iPhones to re-boardcast the hopspot without touching it. They're not on ver 6 and the video was ver 5. Bad side of this, this app use the "Rock Extension" made and used only for Intelliborn and it's known to have catastrophic crashes, where you have to restore your iPhone.

I've heard of fools using Android leaving their hotspot broadcasting all day, racking up a huge bill b/c they didn't assign a password and battery dying ultra fast.

david140371

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2016

[doublepost=1455298380][/doublepost]Pair the 2 devices with Bluetooth. Settings/Bluetooth on both devices, wait for them to find each other and pair. The connection will remain when the host device is off then.

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
Have this same problem using my iPad Air 2 as a hot spot for the girlfriend' iPhone 6. iPad screen turns off, loses hotspot. Bluetooth won't connect at all.

ThunderMasterMind

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2016
It's designed to do this. When an iPad connects to a phone Hotspot, it treats it like a WiFi network and will perform backups, update Photo Stream, update messages, etc. It's designed to disconnect from it so it doesn't eat all of your Cell Data and prevent your phone battery from draining. Personal Hotspot really does drain a lot. If you have unlimited data, then this isn't a big deal, but there is no way to make the phone stay connected, unless you use 3rd party software.

yakapo

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
I'm having the same issue. It disconnects when the iPad is turned off even if they are both charging. Fine, but you cannot reconnect. I have to turn off the tethering on the iPhone and turn it on again. Bluetooth doesn't disconnect but it's about 1mbps vs wifi @ 12mbps. Why is this still an issue after 5 years??? And I can't stand that obnoxious flashing blue bar at the top of the iPhone when you are tethering. If you try to tap on the search bar in Spotify, it will take you to settings 1/2 of the time.

Maybe it's time to try the latest jailbreak or pick up an extra android phone.
[doublepost=1488147259][/doublepost]Update. I think I've found a quick fix. When you are done using your iPad, turn off the wifi. you may be able to reconnect to the iPhone without having to toggle the tethering on it.

Reactions: Le0M and vampyren

markgpearse

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2010
It's designed to do this. When an iPad connects to a phone Hotspot, it treats it like a WiFi network and will perform backups, update Photo Stream, update messages, etc. It's designed to disconnect from it so it doesn't eat all of your Cell Data and prevent your phone battery from draining. Personal Hotspot really does drain a lot. If you have unlimited data, then this isn't a big deal, but there is no way to make the phone stay connected, unless you use 3rd party software.
I have no reason to doubt that you are in fact correct. However, it is disappointing that Apple feels compelled to be my nanny and protect my cell data and battery.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I have no reason to doubt that you are in fact correct. However, it is disappointing that Apple feels compelled to be my nanny and protect my cell data and battery.
On the other hand it's quite likely that if they didn't do something like that there would be many more complaints about people going through their data quickly and blaming Apple for not doing something to control it.

Kummari Daniel

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2018
Thanks for this hack and it worked for me. Actually I use iPhone 7 Plus to connect with my iPhone 6 (using it as my wifi) at first I was like frustrated why is the connection getting lost and I need to do the process again to connect my iPhone 7plus for the connection with iPhone 6. But, now I am free from that. Thanks anyways

But, think the battery will definitely get emptied very soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.