Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Steel City Kirk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2019
Treasure Coast, Florida
I am looking to get a new phone. I have a Pixel 2 XL that I will be giving to my wife. i Am not brand loyal. I’ve owned Apple and Android. I am interested in three phones. The Apple iPhone 11, the One Plus 7T and the One Plus 7 Pro. Please these three only. I’m not worried about the pop up camera. I’ve never taken a selfie in my life and I don’t intend to start. My carrier is T-Mobil. I appreciate all opinions, good or bad. Thank you in advance. Kirk

nrvna76

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2010
I am looking to get a new phone. I have a Pixel 2 XL that I will be giving to my wife. i Am not brand loyal. I’ve owned Apple and Android. I am interested in three phones. The Apple iPhone 11, the One Plus 7T and the One Plus 7 Pro. Please these three only. I’m not worried about the pop up camera. I’ve never taken a selfie in my life and I don’t intend to start. My carrier is T-Mobil. I appreciate all opinions, good or bad. Thank you in advance. Kirk

People are going to need more information about your wants and must haves. Screen technology, biometrics, storage, ram, longevity, updates, privacy, camera quality, build materials/quality..etc..etc. what do you care about?

Reactions: Healer Flame

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
All quality choices. I use both platforms but admittedly prefer iOS.

If I had to rank them in order of preference:

1) iPhone 11 - Pros: terrific camera, battery, overall performance. Cons: worst display of the 3 and slightly more expensive.

2) OnePlus 7T - Pros: great value (least expensive), great display (90hz refresh rate and flat (I despise curved displays), super smooth, quick performance. Cons: No wireless charging, lack of verified dust/water resistance, camera performance a step down from iPhone)

3) OnePlus 7 Pro - Pros: Even higher resolution version of 90hz display found on 7T and everything else it has. No too bezel/notch. Cons: same at 7T and the display curves.

Reactions: TopherMan12

Steel City Kirk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2019
Treasure Coast, Florida
I just want a phone for checking email, listening to sports talk or games on iHeartRadio, Radio.com & tune in radio. Tracking steps, heart rate. Not worried absolutely the “ best camera “ I am looking for a phone in the $600. - $700. Range. The only phone’s listed are the one’s I am interested in. It is simple, which one do you like & why. I yo wouldn’t buy anything of them, why not.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
I just want a phone for checking email, listening to sports talk or games on iHeartRadio, Radio.com & tune in radio. Tracking steps, heart rate. Not worried absolutely the “ best camera “ I am looking for a phone in the $600. - $700. Range. The only phone’s listed are the one’s I am interested in. It is simple, which one do you like & why. I yo wouldn’t buy anything of them, why not.
Not sure why you even need to spend that much for your usage.
Samsung Galaxy A20: $250
Samsung Galaxy Fit smart band: $100
Boom, for $350, you get a smartphone with a smart band for your step tracking and heart rate. Save the rest of the money for other things in life.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Given your short list of requirements and seeming lack of OS preference, my suggestion would be to go for the 7T and save yourself any unnecessary expense. I owned the 6T and it was a very pleasant phone to use with a great OLED display, quality build, super quick charging and an overall very stable and simple to use version of Android.

The one thing on your list I can’t vouch for though is the heart rate and steps tracking. For that sort of stuff I’d definitely go for an Apple Watch (even a super cheap 2nd gen one would to that job excellently!) but I assume that’s out of your budget.

One other concern to take into account. If there’s ANY chance that you might like to sell your phone and buy a new one within 1-2 years, know that the OnePlus phones will drop to probably half price in 6 months, and then just continue losing value, while the iPhone will retain an almost shockingly high second hand price for years to come.

Based on that point plus my personal preference, a more subjective suggestion from me would be to get the iPhone 11 and then a gen 3 Apple Watch which are currently being sold dirt cheap new in box. You could even get one with cellular data so you could leave the phone at home while exercising and still be able to receive calls and messages. And for me personally, iOS always ends up being simpler to use than Android. I like Android too, but honestly that’s how it has been for me.

In any case good luck and I hope you find the right phone for you.

Reactions: Healer Flame

TopherMan12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Atlanta, GA

I'm assuming you will be using a smart watch for your health tracking. If you are using Apple Watch then I'd suggest the iPhone 11 as it works so well with Apple Watch. I have an iPhone 11 Pro Max so I cannot comment much on the iPhone 11 except to to say that my Pro Max is extremely fast and it shares the same A13 chip with iPhone 11.

GreenPea

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2015
Atlanta, GA

Iphone 11 128gb

Reactions: panerista

scottcampbell

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2017
OnePlus 7 Pro! Best screen out there. No notch or hole-punch in the way.
Get 256gb storage for the price Apple would charge for 64gb.

My wife has the 7 Pro and loves it.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Get either of the OnePlus phones with Qualcomm radio and more future proof specs. I wouldn't touch iPhone until it gets Qualcomm, ultra wide camera is mediocre and there's the ugly notch.

Last edited:

Steel City Kirk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2019
Treasure Coast, Florida
Ok guys thanks for the suggestions. I am going to go with the Apple 11 phone. Much better resale value.I have a line on a Apple Watch 44 mm gen. 4. Like new, very little usage. Again thank you for the help. Kirt

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.