Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
Welcome to Photo of the Day. The POTD thread was started by iGary in May, 2006 and converted to a monthly thread in November 2007 by Arn. POTD is one of the most popular picture groups on MacRumors, often exceeding 500 posts and 20,000 views per month.

Photo of the Day is intended to be a showcase for your best pictures. There is no limit to your gear, just your imagination. P&S and film cameras are welcome along with DSLRs. There are no themes like the Weekly Contest, and no winners (or losers) either.

Policies

*One Photo per Day
- Don't post more than one photo each day.

*Multi-Quote - To comment on several photos, click the "+ (Multi-Quote) button. This puts all your comments in one post. Multi-Quoting is required on all of the MacRumors forums.

*SFW (Safe for Work) only - This is a site - wide rule. If you wouldn't show it in a public place, then it's NSFW (not safe for work). Think before you post.

*Describe your photo - Tell what it is and where you took it. If you know the EXIF data of a photo, include it. The following EXIF fields are recommended: Camera, ISO, Focal Length, Shutter/Aperture and Lens.

Note: Anyone may start the Photo of the Day thread on the first of the month GMT. Please copy a quote of this post to maintain all the formatting.

** To see all of our past POTD threads (up to July 2013) please see the sticky thread here**
** To see all of the POTD threads from August 2013 onwards see the thread here**

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I made a sequence of shots during a walk around the magnificent medieval Bodiam Castle in Sussex.
The light was fading to sunset, so here's the first, taken during golden hour...

Nikon Z 50, Tamron 16-300mm

Cheers :)

Hugh

Last edited:

Susurs

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
72F7A3FD-D4B9-4EF4-9513-61EC66415903.jpeg

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
I do a lot of photography out at a local wildlife refuge called Rocky Mountain Arsenal National Wildlife Refuge, which is pretty amazing from both a wildlife and landscape perspective (if you like prairies like I do). It's literally a 15 minute drive from our house near central Denver. When you drive or walk in and around this place though you get reminded of what it was (as if the name didn't already tell you): A chemical weapons plant and arsenal. Zowie, there's crazy and eerie stuff out there. I am somewhat obsessed with this abandoned pill-box-bunker-type thing that's standing out in the middle of nowhere. This image shows a corner of it, and behind and out of focus is the Denver skyline. So close to such a large population. We seem to love our weapons plants here. The other one was Rocky Flats, also very close to large populations and ground water and things, where they made nuclear triggers or some such. Both of these places were Superfund sites and both are now wildlife refuges. Go figure :) .

We do the craziest things by Ray Harrison, on Flickr

Mark0

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2014
SW Scotland
Loch Trool and the Stars, SW Scotland.

Shot Info: Fuji X-T3 with Samyang 12mm f2 NCS lens and Godox TT350F flash.

Sky: 8 frames all at 20s / f2 / ISO 1600, stacked and aligned.

Foreground: 20s / f2 / ISO 1600 with flash set to Manual 1/4 with diffuser attached and fired above head height, to provide some foreground illumination.

Foreground and Sky combined and blended in Photoshop.

Glentrool Stars small PL.png

tizeye

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2013
Orlando, FL
The Sower, 1911 (this cast 1962), Albin Polsek
On the grounds of the Albin Polsek Museum along with other of his sculptures. (Sorry ladies, didn't post the front view, also anatomically correct as may push forum rules despite obviously displayed in public setting.)
The photo yesterday of the monkey was inside the gallery but was a temporary display by other artist with the theme "whimsical".
Albin Polasek - 2500px-1.jpg

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
The Sower, 1911 (this cast 1962), Albin Polsek
On the grounds of the Albin Polsek Museum along with other of his sculptures. (Sorry ladies, didn't post the front view, also anatomically correct as may push forum rules despite obviously displayed in public setting.)
The photo yesterday of the monkey was inside the gallery but was a temporary display by other artist with the theme "whimsical".
View attachment 880373

Trust me when I say I don't really want to see the front of this statue (especially at this angle ?) but that's an interesting point about NSFW vs public art here. Definitely better safe than sorry but I feel like that's kind of a gray area.

Reactions: Ntombi

tizeye

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2013
Orlando, FL
Trust me when I say I don't really want to see the front of this statue (especially at this angle ?) but that's an interesting point about NSFW vs public art here. Definitely better safe than sorry but I feel like that's kind of a gray area.
What I like about this is the lighting with the angle of the sun separating the shape from the background and highlighting the detail vs the shadows. The front is in shadows...but you can guess the only part that is lit by the sun. I chose the close up angle for the detail and framed to show both hands, I did have a setback full podium shot for both front and rear but composition was an issue only showing one hand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.